Not a Good day

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We don't teach this in MSF because we don't want people grabbing the brake while they're turning. If you know better, by all means cover the brake :thumbup:

I remember seeing a couple of people perform the turn-brake maneuver in my first MSF class. :spank: Fortunately we were riding Buell (no so much) Blasts.
It's bad for the class participant, but it's a great attention getter for the rest of the class.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something as simple as taking a route with less intersections can make a big difference. Enough of these 'little' things can add up and increase safety by quite a margin.

These are thoughts I'm looking for!!! ^^ +1

Example for me is this crazy intersection. See pic below...

DESTINATION = BLUE ARROW!
Option1: I'm the RED DOT. Cars can be behind me hiding me AND going past me at 60+ MPH!!! This is not a safe place to be! HINT: THAT LEFT TURN LANE SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME!! Especially if I'm at the end or the beginning. Anywhere to the left of the RED ARROW!

OPTION2: I'm the GREEN DOT. There is far less traffic, it moves much slower as it comes from a 25 mph side street.

In short, if I must use this intersection I pull off early, head to the GREEN lane to wait and I don't feel like a sitting duck!

I'm applying this concept to others areas I travel. Anything to reduce the odds of me being ran down while parked and none of it really changes my commute time. Take a look!
attachment.php

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My fear is being mauled down at a stop light from someone not paying attention. Thank god there is a top notch ambulance service in my little city.

Here's a story from a biker with one leg.

Riding down in Florida I stopped at a stop sign, out of no where a group of young girls in a mustang convertable flat runs me over. As I lay underneath the car with the exhaust system frying my body, I could hear the girls crying about how they just killed someone. And that's how I only have 1 leg.

I once helped lift a Ford Explorer off of a guy who was run over on a moped in MA once. True story! The guy was wailing about the truck's exhaust burning him.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
None of your post surprised me once I realize you lived in Los Angeles!

I'd definitely not commute there at all!

Dude, I bought the bike specifically for commuting! Well OK not exactly but the ease of filtering at red lights, carpool/HOV lane access and lane sharing which again is legal here in California? Priceless! Totaled up, I've gained at least a couple or several days' worth of time back from commuting on the bike vs. the cage. 24 round trips saving an hour total (1/2 hour each way) = 1 day. :D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, I bought the bike specifically for commuting! Well OK not exactly but the ease of filtering at red lights, carpool/HOV lane access and lane sharing which again is legal here in California? Priceless! Totaled up, I've gained at least a couple or several days' worth of time back from commuting on the bike vs. the cage. 24 round trips saving an hour total (1/2 hour each way) = 1 day. :D

Makes sense but I thought one of your previous posts mentioned that you were commuting less on the bike because it was so dangerous?
I have also reduced the amount of commuting that I am willing to do on the bike, relative to the number of "distracted driver" incidents that I witness daily during my commute.

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really know how they can fix the inattention issue. I've had drivers in the lane beside me (I scoot up as much as traffic allows, so I'm never in their blind spot), they check the mirror, which I'm kinda beside, head check (surprising I know) basically looking me in the eye, then proceed to change lanes straight into me... They look but just don't SEE.

I still believe we may be on the right track though, those that are paying attention certainly appear to notice me, you can tell they want to do something stupid, so you get ready for it, then they power on and cut off the car in front of you instead of taking the gap you are creating so as not to get hit...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot reveal the source of info but as I know it, the guy who soared through the air leaving his boots on the ground and bike in heap stacked into cage is alive and released from the hospital. I really thought he was a dead man. His list of broken parts is long and recovery to 100% may not be possible. but he is alive. And yes, it made me think.

That said, lets add to the statistics of longest up time WITHOUT A CRASH vs the other heap of stats associated with MurderCycle Riding!

Be safe All!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot reveal the source of info but as I know it, the guy who soared through the air leaving his boots on the ground and bike in heap stacked into cage is alive and released from the hospital. I really thought he was a dead man. His list of broken parts is long and recovery to 100% may not be possible. but he is alive. And yes, it made me think.

That said, lets add to the statistics of longest up time WITHOUT A CRASH vs the other heap of stats associated with MurderCycle Riding!

Be safe All!

Pleased to hear that that guy survived Randy, I'm with you on staying shiny side up without any crashes :thumbup: