Oil filter cut open **60 miles**

Apollo

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After breaking in my new FZ6 like it states in this article:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I decided to cut the filter open to see what was inside. All I can say is WOW.......

If anyone is in doubt about changing the oil within the first 100 miles please take my advice and DO IT.......or later you should be :spank:

oil 1.jpg

oil 3.jpg

oil 5.jpg

Apollo

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, not clogged but there were quite a few metal bits in the filter (besides the ones from the case being cut open)........I had the camera on the wrong setting for macro so it doesnt show it all to well.

Not trying to be a alarmist as it was not anywhere near clogged, but well worth 15$ to change it.

:thumbup:

Apollo

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes my oil also seemed to be sparkly as you put it...........Anyone have any opinions on when to change to synthetic?????

I have read the links to this on here but have not seen what the FZ6's cylinders are coated with, and how long it takes to seat the rings.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed to synthetic after 530 miles of city riding. My commute is 8.5miles one way through the city with a bunch of lights, so pretty good break in. My original oil was scary dark color and thickness.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did my first at 600 miles mine wasnt sparkly at all. I guess it is all on how smooth you all are with clutch etc. and no i was not nice to it at all i mean i didnt hold it up there in rpm for long periods of time, however i did get it up there. I switched to amsoil at 2600 miles.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it would be interesting to see what a new Yamaha filter looks like, and since I bought a factory filter before learning about the PureOne filter (that and I'm bored), thought it would be interesting to disect it:

Filter element isn't a soft foam, but a hard, almost crunchy material. Appears to be some type of fiber material that has been spayed into a shape and then dried.

Last edited: