Time for new tires!!

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
With 14k miles on the original bto20's it's time for replacements. The front tire is mostly bald and the back has a one inch bare strip down the center but the front is definitely the worst:(.

I decided to replace them with Bridgestone bt021's since I got such good service from the 020's. Most of my riding is touring but want a tire that can handle the occasional twisty. I've heard good things about the back tire but that the front is prone to ware quicker. Most of what I've heard is third hand and not from anyone who has had first hand experience with them.

I plan to order the tires online and take them along with the rims to a dealer to mount and balance. I got a price of $25 for each tire for mounting and balancing not including the stems which I intend to have replaced. I was going to replace the chain and both sprockets but they both look pretty good but I'll know better once I take the wheel off.

Once I get them on the bike I'll let you know my initial impression.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With 14k miles on the original bto20's it's time for replacements. The front tire is mostly bald and the back has a one inch bare strip down the center but the front is definitely the worst:(.

I decided to replace them with Bridgestone bt021's since I got such good service from the 020's. Most of my riding is touring but want a tire that can handle the occasional twisty. I've heard good things about the back tire but that the front is prone to ware quicker. Most of what I've heard is third hand and not from anyone who has had first hand experience with them.

I plan to order the tires online and take them along with the rims to a dealer to mount and balance. I got a price of $25 for each tire for mounting and balancing not including the stems which I intend to have replaced. I was going to replace the chain and both sprockets but they both look pretty good but I'll know better once I take the wheel off.

make sure they have someone doing them with experience and that cares other wise you may get your wheels back all scratched......

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
08fz6:
Good point. I had a dealer replace the TPS and a wheel spacer and when they put it back together they misaligned the rear wheel.

How do they mount the tires WITHOUT scratching the rims??

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
jsteinb95:
I don't think you're missing anything. I don't do wheelies or donuts and have 1" chicken strips on the rear tire. I probably should have changed the tires about 1k miles ago but the timing wasn't right.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Just replace my rear Pilot Power as it was way down into the wear bars at a grand total of 3000 miles. Perhaps a few wheelies, no chicken strips and a big right wrist problem! Oh yeah, tons of smiles.

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I just went through 2 sets of Z6's. Great tires (read REALLY great), but decided to try something different so I put a set of 021's on this week. Still scrubbing the new off, but will post up my thoughts also as they wear in....

squirly

Reaction score
Visit site
we have a no-mar tire changer here at the house because dealers charge so much or wont mount and balance tires that u don't buy from them . it's true they can scratch your wheels by being carless with the bars and machine arms. so watch if you can or just say something about that when you take them in and wait for them and inspect before u leave.
this is what we have no-mar.com :thumbup:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the alert about tire mounting, I'll be sure to ask the dealer if they use a no-mar tire changer BEFORE I give them the tires and rims. I just assumed a dealer would know better...ya right!!

Rayman: Good luck with the 021's, I hope they turn out to be a good tire.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the new Dunlop Roadsmart on the back, very happy with it, still have my BT20 in the front but its getting to the wear bars at 7000 miles, i'll put another Roadsmart in the front as well. I'm very happy with this tire, grips very well in the twisties, its a Dual Compound, soft/sticky on the sides and abit harder in the middle. I'll see how many miles i get outta them ;) but i def recommend that tire!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is very easy to change sport bike tires without scratching the rim however most do not take the time the tire is soft enough you can just hold up on it and it will pop on the dismount part. we use a snap on tire machine very similar to this:
451174.jpg

the biggest reason we can't afford to change tires that people bring in and need to charge is the machine we use is $6,000.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
funny thing is I am rather quick and I don't scratch your rims... Only scratched one rim and that was the first one i did it was a training wheel we used. basically used that and a junk tire to get the hang of the machine!:thumbup: the only people that complain about paying for me to change their tires are the ones that don't have any money and the bike they are riding was given to them for free. Always seems to be the dirt bags that complain.....

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Sounds like a good plan to me and not a bad price. You should check out wrightme43's tire thread if you have not already.

About the chain, you can measure the ten link length and compare it to the spec provided in the manual.

the only people that complain about paying for me to change their tires are the ones that don't have any money and the bike they are riding was given to them for free. Always seems to be the dirt bags that complain.....

How much do you charge at your shop? just curious what the cost is there since the cost of living is higher here.

Last edited:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I went to the dealer who will be mounting my bto21’s and asked the service tech how they mount the tires without scratching the rims. The tech described a no-mar tire machine that they use and seemed concern about scratching any rims. I have a lot less apprehension now about my rims being damaged, but I’ll see when the time comes if the service tech who actually mounts the tires shares the same concern as the tech I talked with.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it all depends on the bike we charge by the hour. rate is $60/hr. cost of living higher there. you sure bout that? anyway. if you buy the tires from us we mount and balence free. We charge about $30.00 extra for like a venture etc that you have to remove alot more parts! but other than that. like cruisers we usually just charge an hour or 3/4 and hour. like i said depends on how long it takes.

penalty vector

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I need a rear tire myself. Nail in the tread & 6200 miles. I am so confused. Which is the best tire & also the best Value (if possible) For a dual compound tire?

The Metzler Z6? Avon Storm ST? Dunlop Roadsmart, Any others?? Help

:confused: Scott :confused:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I was curious about the duel compound on the rear bt021’s so I called Bridgestone and talked to a guy in the technical/engineering dept. and he told me the following:

The compound in the center of the 021’s is the same as that used for 020’s and extends 1” on either side of the center line of the tire. The other compound is the same used in the 014’s and extends from 1” of the center line to the edge of the tire. So there is a 2” strip of the hard compound (used in the 020’s) and the rest of the tire is the same compound as the bt014’s.

I didn’t ask him what compound was used in the front tire but it brings up another question. Because of the duel compound on the rear tire and the difference in tread design on the front tire, wouldn’t that be the same as riding on mismatched tires at some point??