Time for new tires!!

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it all depends on the bike we charge by the hour. rate is $60/hr. cost of living higher there. you sure bout that? anyway. if you buy the tires from us we mount and balence free. We charge about $30.00 extra for like a venture etc that you have to remove alot more parts! but other than that. like cruisers we usually just charge an hour or 3/4 and hour. like i said depends on how long it takes.

Wow I wish dealers here did that, usually it is $20 per tire to mount and balance, even if you bough them there. More if you didn't. Most can't seem to balance the tire properly. One dealer I took the front tire in four times for them to re balance. The told me the tire was fine and that I had other problems with the bike. I drove 60 miles to another dealer and they got it balanced in one try, and the guy felt bad for me so he did not even charge me! The best part is that this guy would match Dennis Kirks price for tires, so the drive was a pain, but I saved over $40 per tire on the total price (tire cost, mounting and balancing).

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I wish dealers here did that, usually it is $20 per tire to mount and balance, even if you bough them there. More if you didn't. Most can't seem to balance the tire properly. One dealer I took the front tire in four times for them to re balance. The told me the tire was fine and that I had other problems with the bike. I drove 60 miles to another dealer and they got it balanced in one try, and the guy felt bad for me so he did not even charge me! The best part is that this guy would match Dennis Kirks price for tires, so the drive was a pain, but I saved over $40 per tire on the total price (tire cost, mounting and balancing).

they had someone that didn't know how to balance then. it isn't hard. However some wheels just don't wanna balance out to zero, but those are usually really old wheels and they are slightly bent.... when i changed out my stock dunlop for my roadsmart on the back I didn't even have to mess with the weights i lined up the dot to the valve stem and it balanced out to zero it was great, never had that happen before.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m thinking of doing the mounting and balancing myself. I did a search here and on youtube and found some good info and videos that show how to do it. My problem is I’m traveling in my rv and I’m in Tualatin, OR at the moment and I don’t have access to a lot of the tools I normally would.

I found a video that shows how to break the bead by wedging a 2x4 under a car and using it as a fulcrum against a piece of wood mounted perpendicular on the tire bead and it worked pretty well.

I only have two other problems to work out. One is to mounting the tire so it spins freely so I can balance it. I can make a stand out of PVC tubing, I just need a couple of cone bushings or something to equalize the tire on a shaft. Can I buy tire weights from the dealer?

The other is to find some non marring material to use as tire spoons. I’m thinking of using 1” dowels and tapering the ends to get under the bead. If I go easy and take small bites it may work. What do I have to loose, if it doesn’t work out I can always take it to the dealer.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Though I post impression of BT-021 into
http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/220-tires-fit-reviews.html,
I describe an information again for you.

It is.....

"Some people say life time of this tire of front is NEVER touring tire but, last month, Bridgestone started to sell new upgraded BT-021 front tire of 120/70 having very longer lifetime than early BT-021."

Production # of each front tire is below

Early model: MCR2859 120/70ZR17
Latest 021 : MCR3166 120/70ZR17

If you can see "MCR3166" or something on side wall of tire, it has longer life time. However, this matter might be Japan local sales. You should confirm it to your shop, any way.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
KUMAJ: Domo arigato. Timing is everything and in this case it is so true! My tires should be arriving in a day or two and I’ll check the sidewall for those numbers. If I didn’t get the upgraded tire you can be sure I will the next time I order them.:thumbup:

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
KUMAJ: Domo arigato. Timing is everything and in this case it is so true! My tires should be arriving in a day or two and I’ll check the sidewall for those numbers. If I didn’t get the upgraded tire you can be sure I will the next time I order them.:thumbup:

I looked for both numbers on the set I just mounted and no go. The numbers are not even close, so they must be different for North America. Anybody with 021's want to compare info?

The only number on the tire close to the one KUMAJ quoted is VDB0208. Rvbiker does yours have this?

Last edited:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
VBD "0208" mean manufactured week and year.
02 means the second week (6th ~ 12th of Janualy in 2008; Max degits are around 52?) and 08 means 2008. You can see this kind of 4 digits besides of tire on every tire (each manufacture). Incidentally, tire maker recommend consumer that need to replace tire within 2 years from production, even if depth of thread is enough. Also, if you "looks blue entire tire" without daily use, should replace it.

If you don't find numbers besides of tire, such numbers might be described on the sticker for desplay tire in shop though some rule is different from your country. I attached pic of sticker of BT-016.

Thank you,

Jun

Last edited:

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
VBD "0208" mean manufactured week and year.
02 means the second week (6th ~ 12th of Janualy in 2008; Max degits are around 52?) and 08 means 2008. You can see this kind of 4 digits besides of tire on every tire (each manufacture). Incidentally, tire maker recommend consumer that need to replace tire within 2 years from production, even if depth of thread is enough. Also, if you "looks blue entire tire" without daily use, should replace it.

If you don't find numbers besides of tire, such numbers might be described on the sticker for desplay tire in shop though some rule is different from your country. I attached pic of sticker of BT-016.

Thank you,

Jun

Thanks Jun, I do not have the label that came on the tires. I have gone over the tire and do not see the numbers you describe on the sidewall. Can you show me a pic of your sidewall?

Last edited:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
KUMAJ: I just received my 021’s and according to the sticker, which is somewhat different than the sticker in your picture, the number is MCRS1212. I notice your tires are different so can there be a different number for a different tire type?

Getting the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow...can't wait!!!

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my new tires(bt021) mounted and took them on their maiden voyage today. I only went about 60 miles. The biggest change I noticed was how easy and smooth the bike falls into a corner, no more flat spot to deal with. I decided the alignment wasn’t quite right, the bike wanted to wander to the left. Tomorrow I’m off to the Oregon coast for the real evaluation.:rockon: