Brown Trousers.........

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys & Gals,
This happend just a few days ago. I was riding along a wet road with a very gentle curve. It was in a town that is afflicted with the curse that it is the UK speed camera. So I was definitely not speeding. Anyway I was doing about 27-30mph. One minute going straight minding my own business. Next thing I know the back wheel has stepped out big time and the bars have whipped around to full lock. I was scared sh**less. I pulled the bars straight and I honestly believe that the only thing that kept me on was the fact that the road was wet as the front tyre didn't bite into dry tarmac. I had no warning, there was nothing on the road that I could see. Any ideas what caused it? Oh yeah how do you clean leather pants :eek::banghead:

Last edited:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Sound like to me you hit a oily patch in the road. That's one of my biggest fears when I'm riding in the rain. Sometimes the center of the lane can get pretty oily from cas and trucks leaking fluids out as they go down the road. Maybe as you where riding through the curve you drifted that oily center part of the lane and that caused the rear to step out. I try to stay away for that pat of the land when I ride , especially in the curves. Sorry you had that happen but glad to hear you where able to gather it up before it got out of hand. Sorry about your pants too. LOL

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some times you can see the rainbow swirling around the oil, but I seriously didn't see a thing. Maybe the rear hit the line I dont know. The curve was so gentle that the bike was virtually up right.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
You know, after thinking about it a little bit. How old is the pavement that you were riding on in that curve? The reason I ask this is because about a year ago road crews repaved about a mile long portion of asphalt on the road that leads to my home. At the time I was driving my Corvette back and forth to work and I had a set of Micky Thompson Street ET's out back. I dreaded driving down that stretch of road in the rain because it literally felt like I was driving on ice. Just the lightest input of the accelerator peddle would send the back tires into a spinning frenzy and you could forget about control. Even at 50 MPH! The only thing I could figure was the new asphalt must have had more than it's fair share oil in the mixture that had not yet cooked off when road crews installed it and the super soft compound of my rear tires weren't able to deal with the extra oil flash in the rain. After I got past that stretch of road the tires worked fine. I drove my wifes Durango over it many times in the rain and it had no problems. Because the rubber compound on our motorcycle tires and the rubber compound of the tires I had on the Vette are very similar I thought this might be the cause of your wild ride. It's just a thought.:confused:

W

wrightme43

Diesel fuel is slick as snot too. I have seen it one time, but was able to stay out of it.

S

sportrider

are your tire bald? what is your air pressure? did you roll on the throttle before it slipped? just curious.:Flash:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
are your tire bald? what is your air pressure? did you roll on the throttle before it slipped? just curious.:Flash:
No mate 300 miles on new BT020, check air pressure every week and because of the speed cameras on this strerch of the road I was just cruising. There is a petrol station about 200 meters after my brown trouser incident so it may have been disel. Some of my mates swear the can see and smell disel a mile off. I must be blind and lack any form of normal sinus operaion lol.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, after thinking about it a little bit. How old is the pavement that you were riding on in that curve? The reason I ask this is because about a year ago road crews repaved about a mile long portion of asphalt on the road that leads to my home. At the time I was driving my Corvette back and forth to work and I had a set of Micky Thompson Street ET's out back. I dreaded driving down that stretch of road in the rain because it literally felt like I was driving on ice. Just the lightest input of the accelerator peddle would send the back tires into a spinning frenzy and you could forget about control. Even at 50 MPH! The only thing I could figure was the new asphalt must have had more than it's fair share oil in the mixture that had not yet cooked off when road crews installed it and the super soft compound of my rear tires weren't able to deal with the extra oil flash in the rain. After I got past that stretch of road the tires worked fine. I drove my wifes Durango over it many times in the rain and it had no problems. Because the rubber compound on our motorcycle tires and the rubber compound of the tires I had on the Vette are very similar I thought this might be the cause of your wild ride. It's just a thought.:confused:
Hi mate, Im not sure how old the asphalt is as I don't often use that stretch.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Diesel would be my guess too. But, normally you would see the 'bloom' on a wet road. The other suspects that spring to mind are wet white lines or smooth manhole covers.

Leathers might be a write off, at least you & the bike are intact :O)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Diesel would be my guess too. But, normally you would see the 'bloom' on a wet road. The other suspects that spring to mind are wet white lines or smooth manhole covers.

Leathers might be a write off, at least you & the bike are intact :O)
Well mate I have had a thought about the leathers. If I turn them inside out , with the amount of rain we have at the moment I reackon I could give them a proper eco wash? Thanks for the advice though. I have a mate who swears that he can smell diesel a mile off. I can honestly say I have never smelt it on the road. Who knows, certainly has made me more cautious of white lines in the wet. Trouble is I went over a white line today in the wet and almost tensed.

Last edited:

Dev

Reaction score
Visit site
I can smell diesel mate. It stinks. Maybe you just haven't come across a big spill yet. :thumbup: Thankfully it's very rare. Came around a corner there last week, long uphill sweeper with junction on the right at the bottom. Something had come out of that junction and spilt the stuff everywhere. Smelt it as I came onto the corner, last thing you want to do is hit the anchors though. Thankfully made it through with no problems but it kinda ruined the start of the ride as Im was paranoid about it being on my tires for the next 10k.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can smell diesel mate. It stinks. Maybe you just haven't come across a big spill yet. :thumbup: Thankfully it's very rare. Came around a corner there last week, long uphill sweeper with junction on the right at the bottom. Something had come out of that junction and spilt the stuff everywhere. Smelt it as I came onto the corner, last thing you want to do is hit the anchors though. Thankfully made it through with no problems but it kinda ruined the start of the ride as Im was paranoid about it being on my tires for the next 10k.
Bloody hell, I thought that all I would have to worry about in Offaly (wife from there) was the tractors, now its diesel as well.
Cheers

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All right I'll go for it. What's a BIFFO?
Mate I don’t know what DEV is saying about my missus. BIFFO "Big, Ignorant, fu**er, From, Offaly" Offaly is right in the middle of the bog. (traditional turf burning country). Not much there apart from farms, farmers, Bog and cow ****e (in case the wife reads this) beautiful women.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: Dont mind me, sure Im only jackeen :)
I forgot to mention the pubs, jes the pubs. The home town is 300 yards long. 1 butchers, 1 hair dresser, 1 garage, 1 general store and 4 pubs, Lovely 4 fantastic free flowing pubs. Now that waht you call a town.

re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you hit animal intestines, just kidding. glad you kept it upright. There are so few black and silver FZs.
My guess would be oil. I was riding a moped ( don't laugh) while on vacation in Bermuda. I was warned by the moped rental guy to "watch it" when it first started raining, roads are slippery from oil coming to the surface when it first starts to rain. He was right I slid like crazy at the first turn I took in the rain. Didn't crash but I slowed down in the rain.
After a scare like that it takes a bit to get your back nerve up. Keep the shinny side up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you hit animal intestines, just kidding. glad you kept it upright. There are so few black and silver FZs.
My guess would be oil. I was riding a moped ( don't laugh) while on vacation in Bermuda. I was warned by the moped rental guy to "watch it" when it first started raining, roads are slippery from oil coming to the surface when it first starts to rain. He was right I slid like crazy at the first turn I took in the rain. Didn't crash but I slowed down in the rain.
After a scare like that it takes a bit to get your back nerve up. Keep the shinny side up.
I belive the superiority of the Black and Silver one kept me up right. Thats a good point though about the road surface changing during the rain. I was honestly only doing 30mph.