05 R6 motor swap into my 06 fz6 in progress

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey you guys first a brief history about myself I have been in the Fz6 world since 05 when I purchased my first one and put 30+k trouble free miles on it I hung up my helmet for awhile only riding friends bikes when I was doing repair or custom work on them well the bug bit me again and had to get back into the sport! So I picked up a 06 Fz6 and shortly after I got it something bad happened in the motor so this is where I am at now!

Ok so this was my bike after something broke:thumbdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7Z61d-5Vg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So after tear down I found chunks of aluminum in the oil pan not good still not sure where they came from I started sourcing another motor!
In my searching I found the R6 motors cheaper and more plentiful so I scooped one up with the harness and ecu and throttle bodies:rockon:

Ok so I get home pull the motor after some soul searching and praying to the motorcycle gods I compare the 2 motors side by side they look like a perfect match besides a few extra mounting points on the R6 motor and different clutch covers and slightly different oil pans!:thumbup:!
So now for the fun part I start to bolt in the new motor! Since I do not know how to tag pics I am just going to make a new post for each step

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok these are the mounts that did not need modification! the lower rear one by the swing arm went in perfectly the throttle side of the bike front mount was a perfect match as was the clutch lever side mount mount closest to the shifter arm those all fit perfectly:rockon:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok the 2 mounts left are the trouble some ones one the upper rear mount by the seat needed some work I had to shave off about a 1/16th of a inch on the frame rails theres lots of meat there I ended up taking some off the motor casing also I just used a hand file and kept checking till it fit! But when I measured it was only a 1/16th!

The front mount clutch lever side close to the radiator the mounting boss on the block stuck out farther on the R6 motor I measured both I took off an 1/8th of a inch maybe 3/16ths again lots of meat there not going to hurt anything!

I am also going to post pics of the mounts that are not used and I am not worried about them as the FZ6 never used them and its not on the cylinder part of the block so not having them will not cuase any distortion of the cylinder walls or any other adverse effects I can think of !:thumbup:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Now as of right now I am running the factory FZ6 harness and throttle bodies they are good enough for now and will still net me a 95% of the power a R6s would have but might not have the drivability of the R6 becuase of the lack of vacunm slides I also had to swap out the timing rotor and pick up for my factory harness to work! The Fz6 throttle bodies slipped right into the intake boots of the R6 motor! I used the sprocket off the FZ6 they look similar but being as the chain and sprockets wear together I am just going to use it! The clutch cover was also changed to the FZ6 unit they are pretty much oppisite of each other I did not want to source a longer clutch cable the cover is a direct swap!

Ok now the reason I am running the factory throttle bodies is one just to make sure the motor ran and 2 the R6 throttle bodies run a return style and boost referenced style regulator on the fuel rail well the Fz6 does not have the return port on the tank I am currently researching if I can just swap pumps or if I can swap the whole tank:confused:

I also retained the Fz6 ignition coils they are uber powerful and do the job well!

So as of today the bike will start and idle I have not taken it for a spin I was swapping clutch cover and doing the shift linkage and whatnots also the fork seals I am also waiting on a new battery should be here in a few days so I hope to have a test run by this weekend

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Man this is a good post. Ill be checking for your results. So the stock FZ6 ECU and throttle bodies appear to work ok with this motor? I would have never guessed that.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Man this is a good post. Ill be checking for your results. So the stock FZ6 ECU and throttle bodies appear to work ok with this motor? I would have never guessed that.

Yes they do work it will start and run I do have one video of it running it did not run well but I did not even have a battery in the bike or a airbox or a exhaust just bare minimum to fire it up!http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zPgASTaO1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As of today I am waiting on the copper exhuast gaskets and I need to finish the fork seals I am also waiting on a new battery to come in!

I am also deciding which setup I should use eiher a PCV and the stock harness and ecu or get the R6 fuel pump and run the R6 harness and ecu I guess I should run a poll:thumbup:

I am so stoked about this this is the start of a awesome build I always wanted the R6 power out of the FZ6 I really want to build the bike as Yamaha should have go with a street fighter headlight like the Fz8 swap in some 07 R6 forks and swing arm I might go ahead and toss the center stand and go with a side/underbelly exhaust!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok After much thought and weighing the pros and cons I am going to swap out the throttle bodies and the harness and run the R6 harness and ecu everything R6 might not be the best idea who knows what other issues will pop up like if the instrument cluster will still work but either way I will figure it out!

My reasoning for doing this is Power Commanders are EXPENSIVE and I want the extra revs that the R6 motor will have seeing how I all I will need to buy is a R6 fuel pump as I already have all the other parts needed!

My battery should be here I will pick it up tomorrow I also ordered the front brake pads the old ones are soaked in fork oil and a new clutch cable and some new bushings in the shock one set had more wear then I wanted when I tore it down so after those get here I will put it back together and get some vids!:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum and family!

Very interesting and I respect your ingenuity in taking on this very cool project.

I noticed in the video I would hear like a 60 cycle hum. I imagine its coming from rectified alternating current. If you are running say an unregulated battery charger as a temporary battery substitute you may damage the ECU and/or other electronics on the bike. If it's unregulated and of high current possibility it may damage the shunt regulator. If it is this type of charger and there is no battery it will also lack the capacitance to reduce AC ripple on it's output. This may be why it runs rough.

Great job! :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok After much thought and weighing the pros and cons I am going to swap out the throttle bodies and the harness and run the R6 harness and ecu everything R6 might not be the best idea who knows what other issues will pop up like if the instrument cluster will still work but either way I will figure it out!

My reasoning for doing this is Power Commanders are EXPENSIVE and I want the extra revs that the R6 motor will have seeing how I all I will need to buy is a R6 fuel pump as I already have all the other parts needed!

My battery should be here I will pick it up tomorrow I also ordered the front brake pads the old ones are soaked in fork oil and a new clutch cable and some new bushings in the shock one set had more wear then I wanted when I tore it down so after those get here I will put it back together and get some vids!:thumbup:

Excellent as the fueling and ECM's ignition control are keeping the FZ at arms reach compared to the R6. Did I catch this right, this R6 has 2 injectors per Cylinder? If so, March forward w/ECM swap. If your style is the use the top end of the engines power more so than the idle to 6k, grab the R6 header for it too so it can breath.

Damn, I always thought the bolt patterns looked way to close! One question; did you say you successfully secured all of the FZ frame mounts on the R6? As in, it was only a depth issue milling the bosses down to allow it to fit?

Very Cool! Nice intro and thank for sharing!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum and family!

Very interesting and I respect your ingenuity in taking on this very cool project.

I noticed in the video I would hear like a 60 cycle hum. I imagine its coming from rectified alternating current. If you are running say an unregulated battery charger as a temporary battery substitute you may damage the ECU and/or other electronics on the bike. If it's unregulated and of high current possibility it may damage the shunt regulator. If it is this type of charger and there is no battery it will also lack the capacitance to reduce AC ripple on it's output. This may be why it runs rough.

Great job! :)

Im not sure if its regulated or not its one of those big battery chargers with the 225 amp jump start feature and has 2/20/40 amp set rate charging selectors so probably not regulated per say I only wanted to make sure the motor ran as I scooped it up off craiglist with the harness and throttle bodies and ecu some fairings airbox just a whole mess of parts for $700 I told the guy I would be expecting my money back if it did not run! But it does so no worries:thumbup:! I have not started it since I know the lack of battery does not help at all on esp on a bike they can be quite moody/ tempermental! We got some Suzuki GZ250s that will crank slowly but wont start if the battery is low!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent as the fueling and ECM's ignition control are keeping the FZ at arms reach compared to the R6. Did I catch this right, this R6 has 2 injectors per Cylinder? If so, March forward w/ECM swap. If your style is the use the top end of the engines power more so than the idle to 6k, grab the R6 header for it too so it can breath.

Damn, I always thought the bolt patterns looked way to close! One question; did you say you successfully secured all of the FZ frame mounts on the R6? As in, it was only a depth issue milling the bosses down to allow it to fit?

Very Cool! Nice intro and thank for sharing!

The R6 only uses 4 injectors well 03-05 and the later years r6s I have worked plenty recently unless I happen to be over looking the second set I will snap some pics later!
The ignition mapping and the added fuel from the ecu being already tuned for the R6 motor is why I am going to go ahead and swap in the whole r6 set up I was only worried about figuring out how to do the return line off the fuel regulator to the gas tank and it looks like I can just swap the fuel pump to a R6 unit and keep my Fz6 tank!

Yes all the factory Fz6 mounts were retained the R6 has 2 extra mounts that the Fz6 does not have so I left those alone! The front mount clutch side had to be shaved down as did the upper rear mount by the seat had to be shaved down!

My next endavor will be mounting a R1 motor into a FZ8 who wants to donate the bike!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not sure if its regulated or not its one of those big battery chargers with the 225 amp jump start feature and has 2/20/40 amp set rate charging selectors so probably not regulated per say I only wanted to make sure the motor ran as I scooped it up off craiglist with the harness and throttle bodies and ecu some fairings airbox just a whole mess of parts for $700 I told the guy I would be expecting my money back if it did not run! But it does so no worries:thumbup:! I have not started it since I know the lack of battery does not help at all on esp on a bike they can be quite moody/ tempermental! We got some Suzuki GZ250s that will crank slowly but wont start if the battery is low!

Yeah don't use that charger for your bike. Maybe the 2 amp mode for a quick start with a battery and then get it off. Don't hookup without a battery. :)
Very cool project!

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah don't use that charger for your bike. Maybe the 2 amp mode for a quick start with a battery and then get it off. Don't hookup without a battery. :)
Very cool project!

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Yea Will do like I said just needed to comfirm it ran that is all its why I ordered a battery and have not ran it since!:thumbup: The old battery was on its way out when the motor went out!