05 R6 motor swap into my 06 fz6 in progress

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I have rode every 600cc supersport and sport standard like the FZ6 I have rode so many different bikes also seeing how I work at a MSF training school!

The FZ6/R6 are not that gutless the 07 ZX6R that I just finished for a customer is GUTLESS!

You are never going to get the torqueyness of a V Twin out of a inline 4 just never going to happen! And your never going to get the topend power of a inline 4 out of a V Twin!

Me myself I do not care about the low end I do not pull a trailer with my bike I am a tall skinny guy it has ZERO trouble moving me around hell I can take off in 4th or 5th gear without much drama! Am I worried about the powerband shifting 2k rpms on both torque and hp in the rev range? No not at all! I actually like the gutless motor down low its smooth and docile and can still out run most cars even shifting at 8k rpms you get up past 8k rpms and its a whole new beast! lol

My .02cents

My issue with it is that when I have to MOVE it draws attention, a screaming
engine (even with a quiet exhaust) always does. I'm guessing I should get
a 1000cc 4cyl to get the best of both worlds, since I usually ride at very low
revs which is very smooth and relaxing.. at then when I hit the throttle -
nothing happens, while at 4000 revs my ER6F (Ninja 650) would power wheelie
in 2nd at those revs. I'm aware that shifting to a lower gear (or three) is the
way to go, but sometimes there's just no time to do it, and I'm not about to
ride at 6000revs+ all the time just to have instant power on demand
(fuel economy).

I've done about 6k miles in the last 6 months on my FZ6 and "needed" to
go over 8k revs maybe twice or three times for a risky overtake in 1st or
2nd gear.. the same overtake that I would have done in 5th on my twin
at 6000-7000 revs with an instant punch.

Sure, the FZ6 is a lot faster after 8k revs, there's 25hp more up there,
but it takes so long to get up there that I'm sure my 650R was faster
on up to 60mph roads.

Think I'd probably get a Suzuki SVF650 next..
Anywhu, stealing the thread, sorry about that.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have rode every 600cc supersport and sport standard like the FZ6 I have rode so many different bikes also seeing how I work at a MSF training school!

The FZ6/R6 are not that gutless the 07 ZX6R that I just finished for a customer is GUTLESS!

You are never going to get the torqueyness of a V Twin out of a inline 4 just never going to happen! And your never going to get the topend power of a inline 4 out of a V Twin!

Me myself I do not care about the low end I do not pull a trailer with my bike I am a tall skinny guy it has ZERO trouble moving me around hell I can take off in 4th or 5th gear without much drama! Am I worried about the powerband shifting 2k rpms on both torque and hp in the rev range? No not at all! I actually like the gutless motor down low its smooth and docile and can still out run most cars even shifting at 8k rpms you get up past 8k rpms and its a whole new beast! lol

My .02cents
Yeah I saw some dyno charges for big 600ish twins, and the power defnitely was there sooner and stronger before it dropped off.

I also agree that the small changes probably wouldn't matter for me either since I'm a 155lb 5'10 rider on the low/average of the weight side of things. (this probably was part of the fact that the 250 still kept me so happy for 3 years)

I did read some interesting stuff about the fz6r though, a motorcycle I didn't know much about. It only has 64hp at peak but on the dyno sheets it seems to have a more usable range up to like 9K-10K which makes me want to try one out since I rarely push my FZ over 8K (tryin' to maximize mileage on my commute, and I don't really need the power reserve). I don't think I'd ever buy the FZ6R but still would love to ride one for a day and see what that more accessible power (with no 5K-6K power stalling) would feel like....heck I'd love, even more, to even hop on a big twin and see what that feels like.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I got the harness sorted out I believe it is correct!

I had to cut down the R6 throttle cable bracket and reweld it! I cut about a inch off it works perfect now!

I managed to get the R6 throttlebodies in place hooked up!

I need to order a R6 gauge cluster and finish up the minor wiring changes and I hope to get a another video posted up of it running!:rockon:

I need to order a headlight also I am currently researching a cheap effective way to go streetfighter style!

I got some extra hoses coming off the throttlebodies that when you put pressure on the they open up the vacunm slides not sure what to do with them! I think they are for ramair when it starts to pressurize the airbox it forces the slides open! Main issue is will the slides open normally under a vacunm like regular CV type carbs hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in!

Should not be to much longer!

I am going to start a donation for bail money cause when this bike is done I am going to be whooling everywhere and probably get arrested!:rockon:

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I saw some dyno charges for big 600ish twins, and the power defnitely was there sooner and stronger before it dropped off.

I also agree that the small changes probably wouldn't matter for me either since I'm a 155lb 5'10 rider on the low/average of the weight side of things. (this probably was part of the fact that the 250 still kept me so happy for 3 years)

I did read some interesting stuff about the fz6r though, a motorcycle I didn't know much about. It only has 64hp at peak but on the dyno sheets it seems to have a more usable range up to like 9K-10K which makes me want to try one out since I rarely push my FZ over 8K (tryin' to maximize mileage on my commute, and I don't really need the power reserve). I don't think I'd ever buy the FZ6R but still would love to ride one for a day and see what that more accessible power (with no 5K-6K power stalling) would feel like....heck I'd love, even more, to even hop on a big twin and see what that feels like.

Just try a twin.
After jumping on my first 2004 FZ6 in 2007, and I was on my 650R at the time,
the FZ6 felt like it was 400cc (if the 650R was 650).

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site

You tried the wrong model year. ;)

The 2005 which I rode would own the FZ6 at any revs thanks to it's 37cc
bump in displacement, and they just came back to the same 636cc design.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
You tried the wrong model year. ;)

The 2005 which I rode would own the FZ6 at any revs thanks to it's 37cc
bump in displacement, and they just came back to the same 636cc design.

I have a 2013 636 in my garage I got the right model! As far as that 07 ZX6R its got the power up top just less power down low than the FZ6!

I need a R6 cluster so I can start my frankenstein of a bike up!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I scooped up a R6 cluster off evilbay should be here in a week or so I am stoked so with some luck I can get a test ride in!

Just a recap of everything R6 I swapped in!

R6 Headlight/blinker switch
R6 Harness and ECU
R6 motor
R6 throttle bodies
R6 fuel pump
I might do the Headers and a side exit exhuast!
I want to do a 06 up R6 swingarm but not in the budget!

So far it would have been easier to get a R6 and turn it to nakedness but I already had a FZ6 that needed a motor and I always wanted to get the power of a R6 into a FZ6 since back in 04 when I got my first FZ6!

If I had to do it again I would and would go smoother and quicker!

As far as just doing it for the power increase probably not worth it!

I can not wait to get this bike going on the road!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

ride a BMW boxer, talk about different. my dad and i switch occasionally on rides, the beemer pulls like a train but its not actually any faster than the FZ, the delivery is just so different. but it only spins to 7k rpm.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ride a BMW boxer, talk about different. my dad and i switch occasionally on rides, the beemer pulls like a train but its not actually any faster than the FZ, the delivery is just so different. but it only spins to 7k rpm.
Sure I'll be right over :D.

And are you saying that the FZ and the BMW are even when both are at their peak power ranges or simply that they balance out in the end with the FZ's higher peak power (assumption) and the BMWs shorter/sooner climb to the max power at the expense of total final power (again another assumption).

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my Gauge cluster today gotta work early tomorrow and most likely going out of town saturday so I will probably not get to get it finished till sunday or monday!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Coming down to one issue code 23 on the R6 cluster ambient air temp sensor I got annoyed called it a day get back to it tomorrow and get it straightened out:rockon:

Started off as a big headache forgot to swap over the timing rotor and pickup sensor for it!
The tilt/lean sensor was also giving me the fits!

I see some roads in the RFZ6 future and they look wheelietastic!:Flip:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming down to one issue code 23 on the R6 cluster ambient air temp sensor I got annoyed called it a day get back to it tomorrow and get it straightened out:rockon:

Started off as a big headache forgot to swap over the timing rotor and pickup sensor for it!
The tilt/lean sensor was also giving me the fits!

I see some roads in the RFZ6 future and they look wheelietastic!:Flip:
Oh wheelie now :D

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wheelie now :D

Yes Wheelie now! I had a wheelie tastic day trying to get sober and hiding from daylight!

I got my 23 error code sorted out turns out there is a third sensor thats similar to the one that mounts on the fuel rail the intake air pressure sensor is mounted on the fuel rail which is what I kept checking well the Atmospheric Pressure sensor would mount under the seat on a R6 I just took the intake air pressure sensor and plugged it into the R6 harness code gone :rockon: It will work for the time being so I can get the harness trimmed and in place!

I also figured out the brakelight plug well kinda so I can get that spliced in!:thumbup:

Just another genious wrapped in idiot here!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PfsWV-qvDQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK2BXFMoWJM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok I got the motor alive!

I got pretty much everything in the harness sorted out after I took the vid!
I ended up putting the R6 ECU under the seat the REG/RECTIFIER stayed in the factory location as did the battery!
I put the starter relay where the factory ECU went lengthened the battery wires I had to lengthen the wires going to the lean/tilt sensor!

All thats left is to get some headlights mounted back up mount the rest of the exhuast back up, put the tank back on, splice in the correct plug for the tail light and go for a ride!

I am so happy!:rockon:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to add some pics!!!
I also had to trim and add a bottom the the FZ6 airbox it will not fit with the R6 throttle bodies as they have the vacunm slides so I had to cut out the front bottom no worries though the airfilter will still work the airbox volume has decreased I am not sure how much it will effect performance we shall see!

I also need some Houston based FZ6ers to go for a ride soon so I can compare power differences!:rockon:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok drove it around the neighborhood a few times today I got a video I just need to edit it some no hiccups cept for the plug for the neutral switch is acting up I dont care at this point it thinks its in gear so all is well except when your try to start with the kickstand down!

This thing WHEELIES 50-60% throttle just hold it steady through first and it happily lofts the front wheel straight up! I did it by accident scared me wasnt even trying you might see it in the vid!

Its alittle boggy but its also got gas in it from febuary so I need to run some fresh gas through it! I might be just being picky as I am used to riding my stupid quick 2013 ZX6R with the torquey 636 motor!