hid projector relay, where does it plug in?

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering where this relay gets connected to on the fz6 for the hid projector headlights. I lifted up the gas tank and could not find any female end or wires to connect into, am I missing something here? Do I need to buy a female end to plug into? Thanks. Supplied pic below for reference. Please be descriptive concerning where this relay plugs into, thanks

IMG_1920-vi.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If that's a 3 prong plug like a headlamp plug I believe it plugs into the headlamp plug with the female spades. There should be the high beam, the low beam and the black/ground wire. I believe the circuit is looking to be hooked to a high/lo switched H4 lamp circuit. The FZ6 with dual headlamps does not come factory with proper hi/lo switching. You may be able to take the black with green tracer(lo beam) wire with the flag connector from the left side headlamp plug and insert it into the right side headlamp plug where the low beam signal is missing. Now you would have a black with green tracer(lo beam) a black with a yellow tracer (hi beam) and the black/ground wire. The circuit may not care if the lo beam gets turned off but it may also be set up for the lo beam to turn off so you will have to see if the logic works correctly for your HID hi and lo function. Hope this helps :)

Oh man! You live in SD!?!? You can have my personal attention!!! LOL!

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 looks like it would plug into the harness where the stock bulb would be. I would be more comfortable with proper switching provided by the dual headlight mod.

If you have not done the dual headlight mod, you might have to for the projector to work correctly. If I remember correctly the FZ by default uses the single filament bulb (don't remember the numbers on it) for low beam and then uses only the high beam portion of the dual filament bulb. The dual headlight mod adds the low beam filament on the bulb when on low beam. The low beam filament on the dual filament bulb is not used with the factory wiring.

I say you may need this mod since by defaul the FZ does not have a ground, high beam, and low beam to the headlights. The FZ has only Ground and high beam or ground and low beam. I'd try it with the stock wiring but you might only get high beam or low beam and not be able to switch.

Link to mod:
Boneman's FZ6 Site - Dual Headlight Mod
Follow his links back to the FZ6 forum. I think someone in the part one thread mentioned making the connector using a ford connector kit.

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. figured it out. I did not know that when the light bulb is unplugged that that is what the relay plugs into. So now things are starting to make sense. Ok as far as the mod goes, that is a lot of work boneman also says there is another way to do the mod and I have seen vids on youtube, where people tie into the green wire with orange dots located by the handlebar and leading it to headlight, instead of taking the airbox and battery off and going to autozone and buying those clips that need to be soldered.

Thanks a lot for the help!