stripping...

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone gone naked/street fighter who could lend some advice as to the best way to go about it... i.e. headlight, mirrors ect. My bro is trying to get rid of his fairing and build a street fighter out of his FZ6. He's got headlights on an Acerbis front end... still not sure how to get the wires squared away and I still don't have any good way to mount turn signals.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's an idea for ya.( If you haven't already done it.) Go to the store and pick up some bike magazines like "SuperStreetbike" or "MotorCyclist". They have tons of aftermarket vendors with lots of hooligan parts in the pages and most have websites.

There are some shop manual links around here somewhere that may give you wiring diagrams but I can't remember where they're at but they aren't hard to find if you look for them.

Hope this helped. Good luck with your project.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
And please post pics.....I really, really, really, really wish they sold the naked FZ6 here in the states. As hot as our bikes are, every time I see the euro naked version it makes my pants fit tighter:eek:....I always was a sucker for a british accent. Maybe one of these days when I have enough disposable income and free time I'll have the parts shipped "across the pond".

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
You can check sbn for info, but its too cluttered if you ask me. its going to cost some $$$ so its on the backburner for me, but if i keep my bike, i'm definitely doing it. from day one, never liked the plastics. even the rears...they cover wires and relays.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a yamaha dealer so I've checked into the Euro naked set up... not worth the $$ to get it here. We're goin with the Acerbis Cyclops headlight and a short stalk turn signal that I'm making a bracket for along with the speedo. I think the hardest part is going to be hiding all the wires after we're done.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a yamaha dealer so I've checked into the Euro naked set up... not worth the $$ to get it here. We're goin with the Acerbis Cyclops headlight and a short stalk turn signal that I'm making a bracket for along with the speedo. I think the hardest part is going to be hiding all the wires after we're done.

NOTHING through a DEALER is EVER worth it.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
I find that extemely unfair... dealers are NOT out to get you for no reason. We're just trying to live... and you get what you pay for. Certified techs or back yard Bob, genuin Yamaha or knock of cheapies... ect.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site

So were you going to bring over a whole naked bike? or just the necessary parts to convert a US model into a naked. I haven't done too much research on it, but I don't think there are that many parts to swap out (headlight, mirrors and maybe the instrument cluster). Everything from the tank back looks the same on either version.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
There's not alot, the headlight and all the brackets w/ the turn signals on them and a new speedo mount... and the prices aren't bad on them, it's when you get to the bringing it into the US that it gets ****ty. First, the part numbers are incredibly hard to get for them due to the fact that noone in the US will have and fiche for non-US bikes. But once you have the part #'s you still have to order them from a non US distributor and since yamaha doesn't deal with individuals it's a battle to get to that point as well. Then you get to have fun getting them through customs and all that fun crap with the fees and taxes that are going to be on them. Why Yamaha couldn't just give us an FZ6 without that stupid fairing sticking out I'll never know.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
Picture080.jpg

Picture078.jpg

FighterZ6... turn signals aren't on yet, one wiring harness needs to be moved and we need to relocate the horn cause it looks stupid right there bt it's pretty close to done.

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I take it some of you guys don't ride a lot of freeway? tucking behind the windshield saves a lot of fatigue on a long ride!!!:Flash:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of hard to tell from those pics but the bike looks pretty hot. So how much did the whole conversion cost? How difficult?

Better pics (outside in daylight) would be awesome.

Rob_the_tyrant

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the whole thing came to about $150 or so. It really wasn't bad. Those lights are pretty darn bright. I was ahead of it on my GS and was getting glared like crazy. He says he can see no prob at night. I havn't driven it in the dark yet so I don't know, but I do know that with the fairing off it'll wheelie like nobodies business and the balance point is alot lower. Def street fighter-ish.

I'll try to snap some better pics. Those were just quickies.

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I might be able to get these parts out to any interested parties. If it's worth the $$$ then we can do a group buy.

So whoever has an interest in doing this mod, get me a parts list of what is required to do the conversion and I will locate the part #'s here locally (Greece) and get pricing.

PS we can avoid customs charges as I will be sending these through the USPS Priority Mail. ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Brows...I'll see if I can find other interested persons from another message board and bring them here.

It might be cheaper to ship them to one spot in the US and then redistribute them from here.

I have other things to work on with my bike for now but I'm interested.

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definitely interested as well...

Rob_the_Tyrant, do you still have the parts list you used when you were investigating importing the parts?