Check your screws for tightness!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Cause my shifter rod screw totally fell out when I was on the highway somewhere. I hit the offramp and was slowing down for the light; when I went to shift, nothing was there. So I looked down and saw this:

IMG_20110608_115814.jpg

Sweet. So I'm trying to figure out how to get home and it hit me. I reached down and clicked the bike into second gear and rode home like that. After I took off, I realized my left glove was sitting on top of my tank bag (because I had pulled over trying to figure this out). Consequently, I also learned that it is entirely possible to put your gloves on while riding. There was no shoulder on the road I turned onto, and the nearest parking lot was about a mile or so down the road. I just set my throttle lock and pulled it on real fast; I had it on by the time I was to the parking lot.

I only hit one red light thankfully. And I had a screw in my bag 'o **** that fit perfectly at the house. :D And my boss told me not to worry about coming back in today. :BLAA:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
You sound like me with the glove. One thing throws off my routine and I'm all to hell. MacGyver would have shoved a pen in there or something.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a pen in my pocket, but I figured that 2nd covers 0-100+ mph so I'd be okay in 2nd the rest of the way home. 6-7 miles or so.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You should have made a replacement nut and bolt out of a pine cone, gum wrapper, a old sock and a watch battery.

macgyver.jpg

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother who's not very mechanicly inclined, but unbelievably creative once snapped the throttle wire on his Mazda, so he drove 150 km using his shoelace through the sunroof.

I must say, good work with the glove! I managed to forget fastening my helmet a few weeks ago, and I'm still not really comfortable with the d-ring system. Managed to fasten it and I was SO ***** proud! :rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had been hearing a buzz the last couple of days, when I got to wally world last night I noticed the bolts for the radiator guards were loose. Whipped out the ol' tool kit and fixed it there.:thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I had something similar to this happen on my kx125.... except it only loosened and it was the bolt further up (as can be seen in OP pic) ....ended up stripping the threads of the actual splined shift rod that comes out of the engine.... that was a major PITA to fix.