seat conversion?

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone know if you can convert the banana seat on an 07 to like a two piece seat where you can take off just the back. i know it sounds dumb/weird, but if you bought like 2 seats and somehow fabricated a piece so it would work. just looking for some input thanks

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well the easy way is you can get nice Yamaha or TCP seat cowels to cover the rear portion of the seat so it "looks" more like a sport bike seat. I wasn't a huge fan of the banana seat either and thus bought a seat cowel to cover the rear section.

8202-350x350.jpg

I think there are some racing seat mouldings that racers use in that FZ6 Cup Series, but it's a whole new body/seat panel (see pic below). Not sure who manufactures them or if they are from another bike. You might need to do some asking on some of the FZ6 Cup sites. Not exactly "2 seats", but perhaps kind of what you are looking for?

DSC01331.JPG

More pic's and info here: GYTR YAMAHA FZ6 Cup - Image Gallery

Perhaps one could modify and mount an R6 tail section to the FZ6? That would be the avenue I would approach. Why don't you buy two factory seats, some body work and be the first to try this mod out? ;)

Last edited:

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
tahnks for your help boneman, i was looking at the TCP seat cowl but was thinking of something more like the second picture. i took off my seat just now to look and i think maybe if I bought the R6 seats they would work. i havent ruled out the seat cowl but i like having room for the ladies, but that banana seat doesnt work for me at all

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i haven't seen it done but i am a firm believer that with enough time, money, patience, and skill anything is possible.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
try it and see if you stuff up it is only going to cost lots of money to try another idea, hacksaw and a hammer modifies everything. lol:confused:

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 cup seat has my vote 80%

my wife wont pillion on a bike, she prefers to ride it

i wont allow my kids on the back and if pillions were an issue i would buy a cruiser or tourer and keep the fz6 1up only

but thats just me :p

i emailed the fz6 cup manufacturer after reading in a local mag about the company, i will try to find thier details when i can, but i think it was $360AUD + postage (they are on the other side of AU to me) so not bad price but then factor in fitting (will be some trimming i was told), painting, wiring depending on the lights you choose (also affects cutting), making your own seat (you will need to make your own cushion, no one will make one that off the shelf as a replacement and i think its a flat fibregalss base under the seat, so its stick on style) and then also your missing your underseat storage (not much there anyway)

and to finally add to the list... removing (cutting more likely) the pillion pegs off to keep it looking clean

hey you might be best to grab that seat cover after all and mod your seat :p

on another note, the r1, r6, fz1, rgv, etc etc tails will fit, some need a new subframe welded up (not that hard if your a techy sort and not that expensive to get a fab shop to make) or in old subframe modified to fit.

i think after watching a mate sort out an 06 r1 tail onto his honda cbr600f it should be fairly straight forward, his cbr also had the banana style seat and he hated it.

a whole weekend with the angle grinder and welder and he had a frame attached the next weekend the tail was added and then during the week he modded the attachments to fit the seat.

ill go to a fab shop i think :p

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 cup seat has my vote 80%

my wife wont pillion on a bike, she prefers to ride it

i wont allow my kids on the back and if pillions were an issue i would buy a cruiser or tourer and keep the fz6 1up only

but thats just me :p

i emailed the fz6 cup manufacturer after reading in a local mag about the company, i will try to find thier details when i can, but i think it was $360AUD + postage (they are on the other side of AU to me) so not bad price but then factor in fitting (will be some trimming i was told), painting, wiring depending on the lights you choose (also affects cutting), making your own seat (you will need to make your own cushion, no one will make one that off the shelf as a replacement and i think its a flat fibregalss base under the seat, so its stick on style) and then also your missing your underseat storage (not much there anyway)

and to finally add to the list... removing (cutting more likely) the pillion pegs off to keep it looking clean

hey you might be best to grab that seat cover after all and mod your seat :p

on another note, the r1, r6, fz1, rgv, etc etc tails will fit, some need a new subframe welded up (not that hard if your a techy sort and not that expensive to get a fab shop to make) or in old subframe modified to fit.

i think after watching a mate sort out an 06 r1 tail onto his honda cbr600f it should be fairly straight forward, his cbr also had the banana style seat and he hated it.

a whole weekend with the angle grinder and welder and he had a frame attached the next weekend the tail was added and then during the week he modded the attachments to fit the seat.

ill go to a fab shop i think :p

can you get a pic of the r1 tail on the cbr? maybe before and after that sounds cool.

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
basically what it comes down to is this.
i need to find two seperate seats that will fit, i have a buddy who can fabricate anything for anything. worse comes to worse ill buy a stock seat off ebay and cut it in half and play around with it unless i can find some seats that will work. thanks for the help errbody

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the easy way is you can get nice Yamaha or TCP seat cowels to cover the rear portion of the seat so it "looks" more like a sport bike seat. I wasn't a huge fan of the banana seat either and thus bought a seat cowel to cover the rear section.

8202-350x350.jpg

The TCP cowl is (imho) the best looking of all the seat cowls. I do have one (somewhat silly) concern, however. When getting on and off my FZ6, I only barely manage to get my foot over the rear of the OEM seat. How much higher (and more difficult) would it be for this ol' fella to get his leg over the TCP cowl?
Also, how does the TCP cowl attach to the bike...?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I liked the TCP cowel except for the stupid looking 'lil shark fin' on the top. So I went with the Yamaha factory cowel:

seatcowel.jpg

Not 100% sure about the TCP, but the Yamaha cowel has two "L Bracket" looking things on each side that clip/grab the bottom side edge of the seat. The brackets are attached to the inside of the seat cowel with hex head screws. It is VERY secure, but kind of awkward to get on and off and also requires an allen wrench. I would assume the TCP mounts in a similar fasshion.

As for interfearing with the leg swing, I am fairly short 5', 9" with a 30" inseam and it's no problem. I sometimes end up clipping the far grab rail with my heel, but never the seat cowel. If the TCP was too high, you can always slide your leg through the saddle (like getting on if you had a tail pack on the bike).

Last edited:

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in love with the FZ6 Cup Panels, I just wonder how hard it would be to make the bike street legal, ie put headlights and a tail light into the cup panels..........Because the new panels are not that much comparatively....

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
lots of people put race plastics on after they wreck, buy wreced, etc. ive done it myself. i just cut out the headlight slots with a dremel.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My main problem is that I have no front end to put numbers on so I need to figure something else out. I put them on the tail of my seat last year but they look ghetto and it takes too much time/patience to make numbers out of tape. I have a hard time shelling out money and adding weight just so I can put numbers on there...but I'll likely do it anyway at some point *sigh*
________
AzJade live

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
When you turn the seat over you will that tap that hold the seat to the frame, however that tab is mounted to the passanger part of the seat if I remember right. So if you cut the seat in half along the edge where the seat drops down in the pocket you will have the passanger and ride halfs.

At this point you would need to make or have some one make a rear plastic setion that fits the bike and allows you to mount that tab form the seat back on so that you can latch it to the bike. Here is where the fun comes in, latching the riders seat in. You would have to come up with a way to make a flat tab mount to the back of the seat from underneath that would have a hole in it that would allow the tab from the back seat cover to slide through it to lock everything in.

If you are confused about what I am talking about, look into the way some of the crusier seats lock in. I believe it is the Yamaha that are like this if I am not mistaken.

-bryan

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
i figured i could just cut out the holes with a dremel or something, but how i would mount the lights is another story.......im seriously considering the fairing and tail, i just want to get an idea of the amount of work ill have to do and if it was doable at all.......