Think I could have stretched 'em some more?

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
At almost 8300 miles, it was time to change the stock tires. So I set out to do it myself. At least, remove the tires myself. I don't have the equipment to actually change the tires. You'd think I'd know by now to just let someone do it. It takes me too long to do these things. But then I wouldn't have fun pics to share w/you guys.

So, my question is...think I could have made it to 9k on this tire? j/k :) :spank:

3841972442_6c1b8ed4b8.jpg

Yes, my bike is in my house. Don't mind the mess, k? I also had two helpers during the process.

3841182127_96a475f023.jpg

3841183645_4d6da78634.jpg

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
That tire looks decidely scary!
Good to see you had some professional help there though :D very cute!
I'm also pretty sure you can get some cheap... not sure the name, but they are the equipment for putting the tyres back on, that being said if your buying at most places they fit and balance them for free, might be worth investing in the tools if you are getting bargains on good tyres and doing it yourself, although I've heard its not a pleasant job without the machine the actual bike shops use (which pops tyres on and off in about 10s flat)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't let your cats use the tire as a scratching post!

seriously, there actually is a little life left in the tread, but what's up with those cuts?

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
tire machine we use at my dads shop came from snap on and was $4000. there are much cheaper ones out there in the $1500 range. Obviously you would have to change alot of tires to make it worth it. That is unless you can find a used one..... I just looked on snapon's site and the cheapest one they have is $8700. They have gone up in the past few years........ it is an electric unit that also uses air....

Last edited:

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't let your cats use the tire as a scratching post!

seriously, there actually is a little life left in the tread, but what's up with those cuts?

I was totally surprised by those ruffles / cuts / whatever you want to call them on the rear tire. I had checked the tire over not 3 or 4 days before my new ones arrived. The last day I rode her to work I had a hard stop which included some chattering of the rear tire. I wouldn't quite call it an E-stop altho I guess that is what it was. Those damn yellow lights sneak up on you sometimes :) That's the only thing I can think of that could have made that place on the tire. It certainly will have me watching more closely in the future.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
even a skid should not have chewed up the tire like that, the most i have seen a seriosus skid do is cause a heat bubble. it is almost like you skidded over a cheese grater...

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I agree those cuts look quite weird.... That's about the amount of tread left on my tires when I change them out too.

Were the tires hard to get off the rims? Never tried a street tire, just LOTS of dirtbike tires.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree those cuts look quite weird.... That's about the amount of tread left on my tires when I change them out too.

Were the tires hard to get off the rims? Never tried a street tire, just LOTS of dirtbike tires.

Ryan, my dad and I did change out the rubber on my Bandit's front wheel. Without some sort of dedicated tool / set up for it....it was a monumental pain. So much so that I just take 'em off the bike and have someone else do it from that point. I'm lazy ;) Not lazy enough tho. I lost a day or 2 of riding doing that much of it myself :(

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
even a skid should not have chewed up the tire like that, the most i have seen a seriosus skid do is cause a heat bubble. it is almost like you skidded over a cheese grater...

I really have no other ideas. :( It blows my mind. They weren't regular enough for them to be intentional cuts by someone. The tires were cupping noticeably enough and about a week or 2 before I replaced 'em I noticed the cupped up rubber had actually come off most of the treads. That's about the time I decided...not gonna push these much farther, and I'm not leaving town on these...