Puig Windscreen Smoke

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my new windscreen a couple of weeks ago and thought I would post a pic. I think it looks much better than the stock windscreen. I like the smoke tint. It was very easy to install, but it was kind of a hassle to place the outer rubber lining around the top borders of the windscreen. It came with a label warning not to park the bike with the angle of the sun into the windscreen, as the reflection would act like a magnifying glass and could possibly melt my instruments. Kind of frightful thought when the sun shines about 325 days a year, and the temps gets into the triple digits during the summer. Got up to 117 here this summer. I paid around $79 with shipping.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's a light smoke tint, with the lower half blacked out. I saw the dark smoke tint on another FZ6 around town and I really didn't care for it. I like the thought of being able to see through the windscreen as well for those tuck positions.:Sport:

H

HavBlue

I went with the dark double bubble blue and it has made an enormous difference in terms of helmet buffet above 90. The fit is ok but not being sealed at the bottom allows dust to collect on the inner panel. One things for certain it looks a butt load better than the original which is now deeply covered in dust never to be mounted again...

S

sportrider

hey Vegas, is it the same thickness as the stocker? does it feel durable? I like the look of the double bubble better then the tall "touring" windsheilds. hows the difference compaired to the stock at freeway speeds?

H

HavBlue

The double bubble is actually a bit thinner than the OEM screen but the aerodynamic difference is measurably better in that it controls the flow of air over the rider much better. Freeway speeds and beyond are much more comfortable.

rgatling

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a (crappy) pic of the dark smoke.

2227183656_0c25a1c951.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Vegas, is it the same thickness as the stocker? does it feel durable? I like the look of the double bubble better then the tall "touring" windsheilds. hows the difference compaired to the stock at freeway speeds?

I still have the stock in the garage, but I believe the PUIG windscreen is a tad bit thinner, but I will double check when I get home. I believe your bike is an '06, same year as mine, so it will come as a double bubble. In my opinion, I do not like the way the windscreen appears on the newer bikes, like the '07's '08's. As far as performance, don't really notice any difference on the freeway.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a dark smoke Puig race double bubble on the '07 last week. It seems to be 1-2" longer, and 3-4" higher at the center of the bubble than stock. I'll try to post pics soon.

Installation was a piece of cake, even with the plastic edging (the 6 simple screws on the 07 must be easier than the 04-06's). I am 6' 1", and all that the new screen has done at highway speeds is moved the wind that hit the center of my chest to now hit both my shoulders- no real improvement. With just a slight bend forward, though, I can now be completely out of the wind. That didn't happen until I was chin-to-the-stem low with the original screen. As for the dark smoke vs. light smoke, I can't imagine when I'll be low enough to try to look through it.

I hope that helps!

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a smoke Puig windscreen on my 2005 FZ6. It is thinner than the stock screen, it doesn't have the flange that fits above the headlights or the hooks to keep the mirror mount rubber down. First, the double bubble design gives more strength than the flat stock shape. Second, I stuck a piece of black 3/8" wide x 1/4" thick high density foam tape from the front hook where the windscreen starts, across the top of each headlight lens and ending at the back of the fairing. The Puig windscreen sits on top of and compresses the foam tape. Third, I can't really tell if the rubber mirror mount covers are staying down at high speed. I think a person could make a hook out of a thin, flat piece of metal drill a hole in it and attach it with the windscreen screw. I like the Puig windscreen, it does keep the wind off my chest (I'm 6'2" so the head is going to be a problem). My only complaint is that one of the screw holes in the windscreen is driled in plastic that is at an angle, it is in the right place for the bike it just happens to be in a curved part of the windscreen. I can't tighten the screw down. Does anyone know how to bend the windscreen at little bit? Heat? Thank you.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
odd, but i find the puig aftermarket (dark smoke) i put on my 07 is thicker and of better quality plastic than the stock. the stock screen scratched up easily, even when using a soft cloth and plastic cleaner for keeping it clean.

i cant imagine anything being as cheap and flimsy as the stock yamaha offering.