Doublebubble windscreen magnification...?

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I just received my Puig double-bubble racing screen in light smoke. I see a label reading that if I park a certain way the sun could melt my dash due to magnification. My bike unfortunately is parked outside 24/7 and I do not have a cover and if I did get one it would still be uncovered frequently. Does anyone have insight on this magnification effect (particularly for our bikes)? Is Puig just covering the bases in case something might happen with any of the windsheilds that they sell? or, Is this a serious risk with my particular bike with this particular windscreen?

I know that it is hard to know this sort of thing for sure either way.... but any insight would be appreciated.

H

HavBlue

I just received my Puig double-bubble racing screen in light smoke. I see a label reading that if I park a certain way the sun could melt my dash due to magnification. My bike unfortunately is parked outside 24/7 and I do not have a cover and if I did get one it would still be uncovered frequently. Does anyone have insight on this magnification effect (particularly for our bikes)? Is Puig just covering the bases in case something might happen with any of the windsheilds that they sell? or, Is this a serious risk with my particular bike with this particular windscreen?

I know that it is hard to know this sort of thing for sure either way.... but any insight would be appreciated.

I have the blue screen and have never had an issue with it but I don't leave it in the sun all the time. No doubt Puig is covering their bases in terms of product liability but I would be more concerned if the screen was clear.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link for my review regarding the PUIG windscreen. Just like you, I posted the same thing about how the screen can magnify from the sun. I guess you just have to be careful where you park. Just be aware where the angle of the sun is and will be for the remainder of the day. Or just place a towel underneath or over your screen. I live in Vegas so the sun shines pretty much all the time.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/1882-puig-windscreen-smoke.html

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am sure that they made the warning because it happened somewhere, sometime, and someone sued them for it. I would think that since the sun moves and there is typically some sort of a breeze around that it would keep the temps below melt stage. I suppose you could always park with the bike aimed north/south.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link for my review regarding the PUIG windscreen. Just like you, I posted the same thing about how the screen can magnify from the sun. I guess you just have to be careful where you park. Just be aware where the angle of the sun is and will be for the remainder of the day. Or just place a towel underneath or over your screen. I live in Vegas so the sun shines pretty much all the time.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/1882-puig-windscreen-smoke.html

Better to be safe than sorry I always say. I like Vegasrider's suggestion to keep a small rag or towel (i have a rag under my seat just in case) with you to cover it up. The two seconds of your time, to me, is worth it to keep your dash. :thumbup: