Is it easy/possible to install the tires?

trougnouf

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased a new front tire for my fz6 (Shinko 009 Raven) and I would love to avoid paying $40 per tires to get them installed.
Is it possible? Dangerous? I heard something about getting them balanced, what does it consist of?
I did it on my old 1992 Suzuki GS500e, I just had to put everything back in the right order and make sure two bolts located on the back had the same distance from eachother (this adjusted the chain in same time), I just measured them with a tape (I didn't have to do anything fancy on the front). Would it be as easy in a newly purchased 2005 FZ6?
I couldn't find any information in the owner manual as it just says to get a professional to do it.
Getting the tires on and off the rim is not a problem, my dad has the right machine to do it in his car mechanic shop.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased a new front tire for my fz6 (Shinko 009 Raven) and I would love to avoid paying $40 per tires to get them installed.
Is it possible? Dangerous? I heard something about getting them balanced, what does it consist of?
I did it on my old 1992 Suzuki GS500e, I just had to put everything back in the right order and make sure two bolts located on the back had the same distance from eachother (this adjusted the chain in same time), I just measured them with a tape (I didn't have to do anything fancy on the front). Would it be as easy in a newly purchased 2005 FZ6?
I couldn't find any information in the owner manual as it just says to get a professional to do it.
Getting the tires on and off the rim is not a problem, my dad has the right machine to do it in his car mechanic shop.

I actually just did mine today. It's not really hard at all if you've got stands and the proper tools. For the FZ the two bolts on the swingarm closest to the axle are just like the ones you described for your suzuki.

For the front wheel I simply lifted the front, loosened the axel pinch bolt (6mm hex), removed the brake caliper bolts (12mm) on each side and used bungee cords to suspend the calipers from the handle bars, and then removed the axle (19mm hex).

For the rear I loosened the axle nut (32mm one side 36mm other side), put the bike on the rear stand, removed the axle nut (32mm), loosened the drive chain lock nuts and adjusting nuts on both sides (12mm), pushed the wheel all the way foreward and pulled the chain off the rear sprocket, supported the rear wheel and pulled out the axle, then suspended the rear caliper from another bungee attached to the passenger grab rail.

Most of that was in my manual for my 04. I had to take my wheels and tires to a shop since I don't have a tire remover or balancer. I can email you an electronic copy of the manuals if you think that might help. Good luck with it if you decide to do it.

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I do want to say is if you take your own wheels off and take them in. Make sure you keep all of our spacers etc... There are numerous times people tried to say it came with them blah blah blah you lost them...... You deffinetly want to have your tires balanced can get very scary very fast at higher speeds with them not being balanced....