to lift or not to lift

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I know our bikes (FZ6's) have the power to lift it, but I CAN'T GET IT UP...and that the front tire i'm talking about. Any pointers.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It comes up fairly easy if you're not trying, too! :eek:
I was coming up to a red light, had downshifted to 2nd, no cars nearby, light turned green so I twisted it hard. Horizon went down and sphincter pressure went up! Fortunately I let the wheel down easy, but I'm not ready to do that again for awhile!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It comes up fairly easy if you're not trying, too! :eek:
I was coming up to a red light, had downshifted to 2nd, no cars nearby, light turned green so I twisted it hard. Horizon went down and scpinker pressure went up! Fortunately I let the wheel down easy, but I'm not ready to do that again for awhile!
Spoken like a true expert. You must have given the throttle a right yank mate. What revs do you reckon you were at? oh yeah, Botch that made me giggle.

Neil

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I have raised the front wheel many times. I can't say that I've actually ridden a wheely for any length, but the front wheel comes off the ground anytime I accelerate hard in first.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I know our bikes (FZ6's) have the power to lift it, but I CAN'T GET IT UP...and that the front tire i'm talking about. Any pointers.

I don't care if it's the front tire you're talking about, I still don't like to see or hear those words put together like that. Have you checked the slack on your chain? If it's too loose, that might be your problem. Phew!

SpitFire

Reaction score
Visit site
I have yet to fully lift. I've had brief moments but I'm working up the courage to go full on. My brother gets his ninja off and rides for quite some time (bastard).

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
About 2 months ago I'm sat at a set of lights and was in the mood to try a wheelie so I gave it throttle, into first, let go of clutch and up she came. I then **** it, let go of the throttle, front came down and my 'nads were squashed so hard against the tank the pain didn't go away for an hour. :(

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what was the throttle to cluth ratio. Did you dump it or feathered it in. I am a little ........chiken to try it. I feal that the bike wants to lift to the sky. I push my legs into the tank brace myself and give it gas and it just wants to lift. I'm not sure if that's the right way or i am a chiken.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
what was the throttle to cluth ratio. Did you dump it or feathered it in. I am a little ........chiken to try it. I feal that the bike wants to lift to the sky. I push my legs into the tank brace myself and give it gas and it just wants to lift. I'm not sure if that's the right way or i am a chiken.

Well, inbetween really. Thing is. We aren't stunt riders. Me, I need the bike every single day for transport to work so whilst I have self preservation at the back of my mind I also have bike preservation. I can't afford for a big daft wheelie where the bike goes right up and I fall off (like you see on you tube) so I'm probably never going to do a big wheelie for fear of trashing the bike (and my 'nads....again). But...... In first it is quite easy to get some lift on the front if you hit the the throttle hard even after the clutch is engaged. The trick is then having the balls to redline it and the skill to get it into 2nd without crashing down again!:rockon:

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking that rider weight has a lot to do with the front end coming up also. I weigh about 240 buck naked, so fully dressed I'm probably around 260. I don't have problems with the bike feeling like it wants to lift the front wheel under hard accelleration, but the front end did lift once on a 1st to 2nd shift at almost 14K RPM. I was very surprised when that happened.

I've tried a couple of the methods listed on the site and the front wheel will lift even at my weight. Bottom line is, if you want to lift the front wheel, these bikes can do it no problem.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking that rider weight has a lot to do with the front end coming up also. I weigh about 240 buck naked, so fully dressed I'm probably around 260. I don't have problems with the bike feeling like it wants to lift the front wheel under hard accelleration, but the front end did lift once on a 1st to 2nd shift at almost 14K RPM. I was very surprised when that happened.

I've tried a couple of the methods listed on the site and the front wheel will lift even at my weight. Bottom line is, if you want to lift the front wheel, these bikes can do it no problem.

I agree but how many stone is 240/260 for us english gents? Surprises on a bike at 50mph aren't fun. The thought of a man buck naked is also not fun. Please refer to, maybe, in light clothing next time

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree but how many stone is 240/260 for us english gents? Surprises on a bike at 50mph aren't fun. The thought of a man buck naked is also not fun. Please refer to, maybe, in light clothing next time

Had to go to an internet conversion site to answer that one. 260 lbs.US is equal to 18.57 stone or 117.93 Kilograms. The buck naked thing isn't much better in the mirror either. :eek: HEHE

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Had to go to an internet conversion site to answer that one. 260 lbs.US is equal to 18.57 stone or 117.93 Kilograms. The buck naked thing isn't much better in the mirror either. :eek: HEHE

Haha. I've been watching the American The Office recently and I have to say it is much funnier than the UK (original) version. I was literally crying with laughter. Have you seen it, if not it comes recommended