Flat tire - need advice.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
Gents, I apologize for what may seem as a stupid question, but, I am a newb :D

I have just noticed my rear tire flat today :( (only 1500miles) After couple of phone calls, i've learned it's not recommended to patch and most shops won't even do it.

None of the local shops in my area have any Battle-X tires in stock, however they do have tires in same size from different brands (dunlop mainly)

I have heard someone say today "you shouldn't mix tire brands on your bike" so now i'm in a bit of a pickle, I want to get it fixed quick and enjoy the very few warm days left of this summer, or order a new tire.

So what do you guys recommend? go with original Battle-X or perhaps stick with the Dunlop from local shop?
that brings another even more newbish question: If i do end up ordering one, can I go one size larger? :devil:

Thanks!

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Gents, I apologize for what may seem as a stupid question, but, I am a newb :D

I have just noticed my rear tire flat today :( (only 1500miles) After couple of phone calls, i've learned it's not recommended to patch and most shops won't even do it.

None of the local shops in my area have any Battle-X tires in stock, however they do have tires in same size from different brands (dunlop mainly)

I have heard someone say today "you shouldn't mix tire brands on your bike" so now i'm in a bit of a pickle, I want to get it fixed quick and enjoy the very few warm days left of this summer, or order a new tire.

So what do you guys recommend? go with original Battle-X or perhaps stick with the Dunlop from local shop?
that brings another even more newbish question: If i do end up ordering one, can I go one size larger? :devil:

Thanks!

It depends on what type of riding you do mostly. If you are riding hard in the corners I would go with the Michelin Pilot Powers, if not the Pilot roads work pretty well. I'm not too familiar with the Dunlops, though I see plenty of people with them.

And again you can mix brands and treads, as long as you are not pushing the corners too hard.

I would stick to the same size however. If you have to change go taller not wider, you don't want to rub the chain or swing arm. If you do go taller your speedo will be even more off than it is now and the bike will feel more sluggish.

Sorry about the semi vague answer, maybe one of the experts here can help more.

What was the cause of the flat? If not a puncture you may have a bad rim. If it is a puncture you will want to replace the tire not try to repair it, the repairs are only a temporary fix.

S

sportrider

dunlop qualifiers are good tires!!! I'd recommend buying both if your switching brands or even models in the same brand. you can run a 190/50zr17 if you want it will fit with no clearance issues. it will make turn in harder in corners. and it will make your speedometer about 5MPH farther off (optimistic)
I'd recommend replacing the tire, forget about patching it. I've been there and almost had a tire separate on me at freeway speeds. good luck!!!
:Sport:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What will you be using these tires for? Do you care about mileage/cost?

You could order the rear tire online for a much better price than the dealer will give you and have it in a few days. This will get you time to get the wheel off and decide/plan who is going to put the tire on the wheel for you.

This guy in the burbs will do it for $20

Jim's Tire Service

Another consideration, I've got a front stocker that has 6,000 miles on it and looks great that I'll sell to you when you need it for real cheap...more incentive to stick with the stock tires :)

And again you can mix brands and treads, as long as you are not pushing the corners too hard.

I'd be more concerned about riding in the rain as the treads are designed to work together.
________
Wiki vaporizer

Last edited:

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
Thanks for you advice gents!
I have decided just to stick with the original tire in the same size. This is going to be torture for such impatient personality as mine... :D

Reaction score
Visit site
SWEET RIDE! (da plane) (COMM, SEL, IR, AGI, IGI, working on CFI) well, I was.

Bought my bike used. It came with the original on the front and Pilot Sport on the back. Replaced the front a few month back with a Pilot Road (thought it was the dual compound version, but I was mistaken). This weekend I discovered a nail in the rear (tire, that is). I'm still used to patching tubes (ok, so I'm a throwback to the dark ages), so I almost cried when I found I had to replace the tire. Bought a Pilot Road dual compound. Boy was it expensive! In retropect, I'd put a "sport" or similar compound on the front, and a bit harder compound on the rear. "Sports" on the rear don't last too long. I'm not frugal, just cheap. Of course, if I get another nail soon, I may consider a set of JC Whitneys.

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Is there no one hear that has ever plugged a motorcycle tire? When I go out on long trips I always take that plug kit and I have used it more than once. I will however say I have never had to use it on a front. The longest I have ever gone with a plug in a tire is just short of 2,000 miles but it worked fine. Granted, this really isn't for racing but I had zero problems touring.

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks, guys. zackly what i intend to do. Take a plug kit with me and see what happens. Meantime, I'll do some more research. I'm thinking that because of the liability issue, dealers are taking the easy way out and suggesting a new hoop. Of course, it does wonders for tire sales also. So depending on the condition of the tire and location of the puncture (and my comfort factor at the time), I'll probably go with the plug thingee. Is there a plug kit you'd reccommend, or will any do? And how many co2 cartridges does it take to put things back in working order? Betcha that opens another can of worms.