Rear Tire Plug x2 Advice

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys & Gals,
So I walk out to my bike this afternoon to do a walk-around and notice my back tire is flat on the rim. I grab my air pump and fill her up to ~30psi and start feeling for leaks, notice two small leaks 3/4 inch apart. There is a ton of construction going on in my area, so I must have hit something sharp :jerkit:

Anyway, here's the question. I've plugged tires before with the mushroom style from the inside and ridden the life of the tire, but never needed two plugs on a tire let alone this close together. Anyone else been in this situation before and continued to ride the tire? Or did you get the tire replaced?

For what it's worth, the tire is basically brand new and I don't ride particularly aggressively.

This is the kit I used, sans the CO2 cartridges. Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation - Stop & Go International Inc Store

Thanks for the advice,
Rob

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i speak from experience in car tires never plug more than 3/16 of an inch you can have 10 plugs but no larger than 3/16 and if you can afford the new tire just cough up the $$ life > one tire

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
To clarify, these were little tiny slivers in the tire, as though I ran over an industrial staple or something similar. Each slice was about 3mm long and very narrow.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done literally hundreds of regular old tire plugs. I always use rubber cement/vulcanizer on the plug and cut them off flush with the tread, and I've never had one come out that I'm aware of. I doubt there's a tire on my truck without at least 4 plugs in it.

That said, I've never plugged a bike tire. I have accidentally ridden on a flat rear tire before, and honestly not only did I not die, it wasn't nearly as sketchy as I'd imagine. A front would probably scare me a lot more. Since the rear is pretty new, I'd probably plug it, and just keep it in the back of my mind. Especially if you use rubber cement, I highly doubt it's just going to run off and leave you with an insta-flat. If it were in its twilight, well, just bite the bullet.

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 4 in the rear tyre before. It was a fairly new rear (7 months young) and I wasn't going to shell out on a new one straight away.

OCD eventually got to me and I changed it out only recently, and added an 45' valve also (Great, great idea if you haven't already).

I'm guessing (no prior experience here) but these tyres wont blow up on you (Inviting comments from the super coach - anyone?), however I wouldn't like to be chasing the inflation stations around every time you want to ride.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the actual holes are tiny, I see no issue with plugging both, even if they're 3/4" apart.
If the tire holds air well, I would keep it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This kit (Dyna plug) is what I carry under my seat. Its specifically for small holes however you can put several in one hole if needed.

The plugs are so sticky, you have to roll them with "spit" to slip them into the handle, installing end. Simple push it into the hole, remove the tool and cut off the excess sticking out.

For larger holes/more permanent, I use the "Steelman combo patch plug" thats glued in after smoothing the inside of the tire, etc..

In your case, I'd invest in that Dyna plug, should take care of your issues...

Just as a side note, in my experiance and HO, I used the tire plugger you have in your first post years ago. I had more problems with that kit, I pitched it in the trash....

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: Tire has been holding air just fine for 5 days. Never had to use these plugs before, but sure glad I had them with me! Highly recommend the product.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking into getting a dynaplug, but this stop and go looks handy too. It would look even better if the plugs had some sort of rubber cement on them and were permanent. I know I better get something before I actually need it out there. :eek:

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking into getting a dynaplug, but this stop and go looks handy too. It would look even better if the plugs had some sort of rubber cement on them and were permanent. I know I better get something before I actually need it out there. :eek:

The problem with the rubber cement products is the heating/cooling cycle of the tire. These seem to be working great and are similar to plugs used by the tire-shop to plug a tire from the inside. I'm willing to bet these will last the life of the tire.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a "Steelman patch plug combo" (1/8") on my old FJR rear tire, (hole was pretty much centered). Worked fine as long as you get good adhesion (like a bicycle tube) and its installed correctly. It cannot spit out..

Took the FJR to 140 MPH on the interstate briefly, no issues, leaks etc. IMHO, the Steelman is the BEST permanent repair you can do.

BTW, the combo plug / patch is what most tire repair places use on automotive tires.

Last edited: