Need advice for new wheels

Frostbite155

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had my bike in for inspection last month, and the tech-guys told me that i would need a new back wheel by early spring. They ofcourse offered the most expensive they had, but I want to see what everyone here thinks i should get. I'm probably going to ride it mostly on back roads and a bit of highway, no tracks or anything like that for now atleast. I think I am going to plan a couple of longer trips through several states, these most probably aswell being highway / backroads. Aswell, being 16 my budget isn't unlimited and since i've only had the bike for a couple of months I'd like to get some more informated opinions.

Thanks, in advance :)

Frost

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had my bike in for inspection last month, and the tech-guys told me that i would need a new back wheel by early spring. They ofcourse offered the most expensive they had, but I want to see what everyone here thinks i should get. I'm probably going to ride it mostly on back roads and a bit of highway, no tracks or anything like that for now atleast. I think I am going to plan a couple of longer trips through several states, these most probably aswell being highway / backroads. Aswell, being 16 my budget isn't unlimited and since i've only had the bike for a couple of months I'd like to get some more informated opinions.

Thanks, in advance :)

Frost

I assume you mean a new "rear tire", not the wheel. Continental Road Attacks or Bridgestone BT-021 are good tires and budget priced. If you have a local shop that will mount mail order tires for you, that is a way to really save $$$. Ride Direct.com has good prices on tires.

Otherwise you need to shop around the bike shops near you. I have found better deals at independant shops than the "mega stores".

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not sure what to recommend, just don't buy dunlops powermax that came stock to many fz6. I have those now and hate em, I feel the rear tire slipping away pretty often when I gear up/down.. never had those problems with michelin tires.

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in this dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I had the choice between two kinds of tires:

-Michelin Pilot Power
-Michelin Road 2

Now i found the first to be very nice and has an even distribution of rubber throughout the entire circumference of the wheel . This would be perfect for aggressive driving as well as track days since you have the rubber on the sides to accommodate you ( Even though you cannot lean an FZ6 enough so u use that side of the tire)

The later had a better way of showing its field of application. You can clearly see a bigger band of rubber in the middle portion of the wheel, with a little less on the sides ( compared to the PP). You can of course drive aggressively with these on, but the most important thing is that they will last you a lot more then any regular tire made for racing or w/e.

Conclusion:

I would go with a Michelin Road 2 :- )
Enjoy !

Frostbite155

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone.

and yes i did mean a rear tire not a wheel :p dont know where that came from.

I'll check up on your links and advice, and thanks again, your help is really appreciated :) :D