Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
lol, musta been a bad boy! But maybe the backstory is:

He shows up one day with the bike without her permission. She blows a gasket and he takes off the helmet. As they move around the garage yelling at each other, she grabs it and chucks it at him. Technically he's selling a "dropped" helmet...

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't want any helmet that is ruined by a drop.

I dropped my old Bell Star more than once and it worked fine for me when I crashed.

However, I would want to see this "Scratch" before I bought, since it was "thrown", which could of caused damage, more than a drop from the seat or handlebars of your bike.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have seen pictures of helmets put through an x-ray machine. a fall from even a couple feet onto a hard surface can cause hairline cracks in the shell of the helmet, let alone throwing it.

if i were to throw a helmet i think it would be the equivalent of a 30-40 MP/H crash. Best to not drop it.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
it's a technicality that you scrap it if you drop it. Those hairline fractures Reiobarb is talking about are where the helmet splits open if you nail it hard enough. It's just a safety thing that the helmets are meant to be "one use" only.

My brother fell and his helmet looks fine, but he said he hit his head kinda hard on the way down. He's perfectly okay, but he's going to buy a new helmet when he has the money to be safe. I said it's a good idea.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets are not supposed to be like thermocol bowls. A drop from your bike or a couple of feet should be fine. One can't afford a new helmet everytime he drops it. Hell, wavex was even wearing his helmet after his 1st crash.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets are only good for one drop, throw, crash, etc. At the dealerships around here, if you pick up a helmet, and accidentally drop it, regardless of the way the helmet looks, you just bought it. They do not want the liability of selling a broken helmet, so why would you buy one from someone that admits to throwing one across the room....why is he getting rid of it?

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets are only good for one drop, throw, crash, etc. At the dealerships around here, if you pick up a helmet, and accidentally drop it, regardless of the way the helmet looks, you just bought it. They do not want the liability of selling a broken helmet, so why would you buy one from someone that admits to throwing one across the room....why is he getting rid of it?

In reality, for me, I would never buy a used helmet.

I guess its coodies or something, but I just am not interested in someone elses helmet.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
GREAT !!!!!

I've been looking for something to throw at the wife (could always come in handy, you newer know), AND NOW I'VE FOUND IT!!!!

He even went ahead and tested it, - and it sounds like it's a sure miss :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i agree, i would never buy a used helmet either...

straight from Arai Rep...

3/4 in... at the 3 min remaining mark...

Jay Leno's Garage Video - Clearspring

hmmm.... i am thinking that it is my head and i would still rather be safe than sorry... if he is wrong and my helmet dosen't work, chances are that i won't be around to debate it. either way, i just prefer to not drop my helmet.

I have seen X-rays that contradict that statement, and besides, different shell materials can react different ways, he can only speak to Arai's composite.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm.... i am thinking that it is my head and i would still rather be safe than sorry... if he is wrong and my helmet dosen't work, chances are that i won't be around to debate it. either way, i just prefer to not drop my helmet.

I have seen X-rays that contradict that statement, and besides, different shell materials can react different ways, he can only speak to Arai's composite.

for sure, no debates there, just figured i would post a vid from someone who gets paid to know... we trust the guys who we buy our helmets from why not trust his advice on the helmet life? ... and at $400 a helmet i doubt he would say "no dont buy a helmet" when he could easily say, "yeah every impact needs a new helmet. But its just like anything else, its what you feel safe with.. some people ride with shoes, some people boots, some people use full length gloves, others use shorties... its your head, only you should make that decision.

W

wrightme43

Helmets can be dropped and used.
They do not have any mass inside of them when they are dropped.

Ask a helmet manufacturer.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Bouncing your head off the payment at 60mph and dropping the helmet in your garage are two VERY different things. If the helmet integrity is compromised from a small drop, it's a cheap helmet and shouldn't be purchased anyways.