Help me make a decision, please!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm trying to make a decision on some gear and I'm hoping some of you can help.

Presently, I've got a great set of summer gear (JR Blaster 2.0 perfed pants and JR Sonic 2.0 perfed jacket), but I'm looking for some cooler weather riding gear in leather. I'm wondering if any of you have any of the following, what you think of them, and if you think they would make a good combination for cooler weather riding.

JR Blaster 2.0 NON-perfed pants
Teknic Chicane leather pants
Teknic Lightning leather jacket
Alpinestars Spinner leather jacket

Obviously, I've got the Blaster pants already, and I love them. But I can get the Teknic pants for about $150 and I've tried them on and liked how the fit. Does anyone think the Blaster pants are worth the extra $50-75???

As far as the jackets go, I love the looks of the Spinner jacket, and can probably get one for around $180 or so. But I can get the Teknic jacket for about $110. Again, any comments on those?

I'm leaning towards the full Teknic setup since the jacket and pants were designed to work together (i.e. zip together) and it would make a nice 2-piece suit.

So what do you guys think? Help! Thanks!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've talked to, worked with and ridden with a great deal of folks who ride cold weather. None of them that are what I deem extremists wear of recommend leather for cold riding. Most buy the textile jackets similar to the FirstGear Kilimanjaro or Alpinestars Space Drystar. That is what I am looking to buy, hopefully before Spring so I can start riding even sooner next year.

I'm leaning heavily here: Check out "Paul's Comments" on this one. FirstGear FirstGear Kilimanjaro 5.0 Texile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

I'm basing my purchase on working with the folks that live it here in the Northest. Too many that I've spoken with regret spending a lot of cash on leathers for cold and discovering they aren't warm enough.

Hope this helps!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I use thick cordura pants and jacket made from dainese for the winter. They are too comfortable compared to my leathers and they keep me warm with the liner installed. They also feel well constructed/'safer' when compared to other textiles but their prices are quite higher too.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's cold, and wet, weather gear you're after, I'd agree with the other posters here, textile will keep you warmer. And you can treat it with water-resistant sprays. Whereas leather, well, it just doesn't like getting wet. And you won't like getting wet in it either.

Your profile doesn't indicate where you're located and you don't mention whether you'll be riding in the wet. That's important info to know in this type of decision.

If you're absolutely, only riding when it's absolutely dry out, and you don't mind being on the cooler side, then I'd just suggest buying the clothing that fits you best and that you like, which appears to be leather. Nothing wrong with leather, it protects very well. Ya just gotta know what you're not getting with that choice.

Be certain, whichever material type you ultimately choose, to get stuff that fits correctly. Stuff that's loose can cause what's known as a "bite." This is where, in the unfortunate event of a get-off, the extra material will sorta roll up when you hit the ground -- as it rolls it grabs a hunk of your skin in the process. Imagine a huge, super strong, violent monkey bite...ouch. Almost makes road rash sound good.

So it's just that much more important that you get gear that fits correctly, not too tight so that it's constricting, but not too loose either.

Your observation about mating the two pieces is a very good one, too. Getting matched stuff that zips together is wise. Of course, most pieces will come with the other half of the zipper and a good tailor can match up the pieces.

Let us know what you decide.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the input! Yeah, I guess I left out some much-needed information when it comes to making a decision like this. Let me see if I can clear some of those up...

First, I NEVER ride in the rain. I just don't enjoy it and don't like it in the least. Of course, if I HAVE to I will, but I don't do it by choice.

I couldn't agree more on the textile-for-cold-weather idea. I neglected to mention that I've already got a JR Meteor 4.0 textile jacket that's GREAT for cold weather. I love that thing. But I think I want a good leather jacket for COOLER weather, not cold weather. I figure the Meteor will work down to around 35-40 degrees, though it's rare for me to ride in that cold of weather. I guess I'm wondering if the Lightning jacket would fill the void in temperatures between 55-70 degrees or so.

Basically, this set of gear would be for those chilly days when I'm wanting to go hit the twisties easy or take a nice group ride with my friends.

Thanks for all the help guys!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
well, again, i have no idea what your definition of cold is, but my Joe Rocket Ballistic 2.0 textile overpants (for guys, too) and Cortech 3-in-1 Jacket (with full quilted liner and water-proof wind jacket liner) seem to keep me toasty down to at least 50 degrees with minimal underlayering. I haven't ridden since it got really cold, but I would imagine with proper underlayers I'd be fine down to 30.