FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of getting the clear 20" MadStad.

I am going on a 5 day long trip soon and the noise/buffeting reduction might be worth the price. I'd probably only end up using it once a year so I haven't quite convinced myself to buy it.

I'm about 5'11 and bike is stock right now but I've ordered some CRG RC2 levers and fender eliminator kit from Larry.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Someday....

I hope that someday I can find a solution to the horrible wind noise on my 2004 FZ6. I really need to dig out my stock shield and start making some modifications to it. Or maybe get a piece of plexiglass and start playing with the saw and heat gun.....

Of all the things that bother me about my FZ6, the horrible wind noise tops them all.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of getting the clear 20" MadStad.

I am going on a 5 day long trip soon and the noise/buffeting reduction might be worth the price. I'd probably only end up using it once a year so I haven't quite convinced myself to buy it.

I'm about 5'11 and bike is stock right now but I've ordered some CRG RC2 levers and fender eliminator kit from Larry.

It's a good screen, and as I mentioned just above, it has transformed my interstate riding. I do have it dropped down just a touch and this makes me think, at 6'7", that I could have gotten away with the 18" model as well.

If you are really thinking about it, and would like to see a pic or two of it on the bike, I'd be happy take some and post them up.

Last edited:

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a good screen, and as I mentioned just above, it has transformed my interstate riding. I do have it dropped down just a touch and this makes me think, at 6'7", that I could have gotten away with the 18" model as well.

If you are really thinking about it, and would like to see a pic or two of it on the bike, I'd be happy take some and post them up.

It is waiting on my door step. :)

Delivered On:
Monday, 06/18/2012 at 1:55 P.M.
Left At:
Front Door

Sparty76

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of possibly getting the Puig Racing screen ... if I end up keeping the FZ. I just wish I could try one - I'm not sure how much and how it's different than stock when riding.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a used puig double bubble from someone on the forum believe it's the racing it's about 3 inches taller than stock I'm 6'3 and unlike the stock it puts the wind over my shoulders from the double bubble effect perfectly my Helmet is so quite now and I don't get hit by gusts anymore love it and recommend it but I have no experience with any other I got it for 50 with shipping In the us used from another member +1 for puig imo

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone put the MRA x-screen on a stock 05 fz6 screen (04-06 for that matter). I'm looking at the clamp on so I can put it on for when I do longer rides, usually a few hours of highway followed by two lane about 6hrs total, then take it off if i'm going to be around town for a while. Maybe just leave it on if I like it. This is the link from twistedthrottle: MRA X-creen Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade (clamp-on) - MRA.XCC : TwistedThrottle.com

I'm 5'10" and seems like to much wind on the highway as I like sitting up.

mellow mark

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a CalSci ( L) that I topped off with a Saeng edging. I'm 5'9" and this rig seems to take care of most of the buffeting. I live in SE Texas and do a lot of riding on I-10 where the cross winds get fairly strong. No problems. Speed-wise, I've had The Yamahammer up to 125 and encountered no problems with the windshied/Saeng edging. Total for all was about $300.00.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
2004-2006 wind noise

This week, I totally removed the windscreen and rode around for a few days. Wow, the loud buffeting was gone! There was more wind to the body, but it wasn't bad, as the headlight / instrument panel breaks a lot of the wind.

I would have left it like that, but it looks really ugly without the windscreen on there.

I installed the Puig during lunch and the bad, loud turbulence was back. :(

I really want to make a custom shield with a different shape / venting to take away that loud turbulence....

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from the Puig double bubble to the MRA w/spoiler. All I can say for me the MRA w/spoiler is better. Yes it's shorter, but it has the spoiler to compensate. It's quieter and doesn't seem to buffet as much. I can swear it slices the wind better. I'm the taller side of 5'8". Whatever that is...

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from the Puig double bubble to the MRA w/spoiler. All I can say for me the MRA w/spoiler is better. Yes it's shorter, but it has the spoiler to compensate. It's quieter and doesn't seem to buffet as much. I can swear it slices the wind better. I'm the taller side of 5'8". Whatever that is...

I have ths MRA also, it's the best of both worlds!

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone put the MRA x-screen on a stock 05 fz6 screen (04-06 for that matter). I'm looking at the clamp on so I can put it on for when I do longer rides, usually a few hours of highway followed by two lane about 6hrs total, then take it off if i'm going to be around town for a while. Maybe just leave it on if I like it. This is the link from twistedthrottle: MRA X-creen Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade (clamp-on) - MRA.XCC : TwistedThrottle.com

I'm 5'10" and seems like to much wind on the highway as I like sitting up.

Did you ever pull the trigger on this? If yes, how does it work. I am about the same size and the buffeting is bothersome. :thumbup:

Jawsfz606

Reaction score
Visit site
Nirvanna, I finally have a decent solution for my 06 FZ6 windscreen woes. It is a Madstad mount and their 20" windscreen mounted on the original Yamaha (short) windscreen. See attached photos. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I am just looking over the top of the 20" windscreen. The mounts let's you adjust the windscreen tilt and height to fit your particular height (and mirrors).

The Madstad website had this combination (their mounts and their windscreen mounted on the original Yamaha windscreen), however, they had a black metal backing plate holding the mounts to the Yamaha windscreen. I asked that they use a clear piece of plastic instead of the black metal and it looks a lot better (in my humble opinion). I sent my old short Yamaha windscreen to them and they mounted the brackets and sent it and their 20" windscreen to me for $229. Turn around was less than two weeks.

Previously, I had tried the Yamaha touring windscreen (wind right in my face), I then tried a Laminar Lip on the Yamaha Touring windscreen (wind in my face and dust and dirt sucked into the bottom of my helmet).

I already had a Madstad mount and a Givi windscreen on my 2004 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom and I have been very happy with that combination. That's what led me to their website.

I might try the laminar lip on top of the Madstad windscreen (since I have it). Should be able to lower the windscreen a little bit more and still have the wind over my helmet. Will post with results if and when I do that.
View attachment 45570

View attachment 45571

Christian67

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a FZ6N S2, and bought a puig flyscreen.

Since I got some issues with it, I thought I should share it with you, together with my solution.

The point is that the lip of the flyscreen comes down over the headlight (pic1), and the result is that it mirrors light from the headlight onto the backside of the flyscreen and makes a disturbing light towards the driver(pic2).

This morning I had to use the bike to work, so I trust a washing-sponge down the front(pic3). It worked as a solution to the problem- At work, I went dumpster diving for something similar in black, and found this piece we use to isolate our hoses with(pic4). - hopefully it will look better than the yellow sponge.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think that Madstad would work mounted to the OEM touring screen? I ask because I cut-down my stock screen but also have the OEM touring screen.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Nirvanna, I finally have a decent solution for my 06 FZ6 windscreen woes. It is a Madstad mount and their 20" windscreen mounted on the original Yamaha (short) windscreen. See attached photos. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I am just looking over the top of the 20" windscreen. The mounts let's you adjust the windscreen tilt and height to fit your particular height (and mirrors).

The Madstad website had this combination (their mounts and their windscreen mounted on the original Yamaha windscreen), however, they had a black metal backing plate holding the mounts to the Yamaha windscreen. I asked that they use a clear piece of plastic instead of the black metal and it looks a lot better (in my humble opinion). I sent my old short Yamaha windscreen to them and they mounted the brackets and sent it and their 20" windscreen to me for $229. Turn around was less than two weeks.

Previously, I had tried the Yamaha touring windscreen (wind right in my face), I then tried a Laminar Lip on the Yamaha Touring windscreen (wind in my face and dust and dirt sucked into the bottom of my helmet).

I already had a Madstad mount and a Givi windscreen on my 2004 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom and I have been very happy with that combination. That's what led me to their website.

I might try the laminar lip on top of the Madstad windscreen (since I have it). Should be able to lower the windscreen a little bit more and still have the wind over my helmet. Will post with results if and when I do that.
View attachment 45570

View attachment 45571