FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock. There's some buffeting, but I rarely ride on the highway. I'll probably go naked and ditch my plastics someday, but I may try the Madstaad thing first after some more opinions filter in.

pipski

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a gnat's pubic hair away from confirming a purchase on ebay for a puig double bubble light smoked screen, partly due to the fact my original screen is scratched, partly for the look and partly for the buffetting at 70mph +

Reading the first few pages I'm not as sure as I was, having already ummmmed and ahhhhhhhd for the last couple of days and now all but decided to go ahed with the Puig.

What to do, what to do... :eek:

pipski

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it, I found one in the UK for £1 or so less than on ebay (including delivery). Hardly worth worrying over a pound but still, that can go towards fuel in the tank and more fun on the road :thumbup:

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Yamaha touring on my first 06 FZ6, then went to the Puig Double Bubble. Not only does it look awesome, it did a better job at deflecting wind than the touring screen. I often rode over 400 miles a day with nothing but normal foam earplugs with no problems, very little noise. (Of course there is going to be wind hitting your helmet and some noise, you're on a motorcycle, not in a car) Honestly I thought the Puig DB did a fantastic job. I'll get another one on my new FZ6. (Car pulled out in front of me, my previous puig DB did not stop my 6'5" 240 lb frame from flying through it and busting it into pieces.)

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
So I finally got the windscreen and I mounted it today. I think it looks awsome! :Flash: I post one picture before and one after so you can se the results. I have not been able to test it on the road because whe have snow on the roads!!! :(

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Puig touring wind screen. Works for me, cuts enough of the wind to make it comfortable. 1500ish round trip miles to Erci's house and worth every penny.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Cut stock screen by previous owner (blitzcraig) maybe an inch or so.
Icon airframe (XL)
6'
Some buffeting, kinda loud.
No first hand experience with stock, but as it is now, it's not bad, but could be better. I went no screen up to 70 today. Nice, but I want something there.

Apologize if this has been asked, but has anyone tried mounting the stock screen away from the fairing?

Inspired by the madstad logic of reducing low pressure behind the screen, I wonder if some small brackets that lifted the screen off the body say 10-30mm off the body would help.

Another or additional option could be to create a slight "hood scoop" at the bottom of the screen to add air underneath.

** Edit - borrowed a friend's Suomy (L) helmet... don't know what kind - he used it for racing but is now his street helmet... anyway - less buffeting and much less noise.

Last edited:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Apologize if this has been asked, but has anyone tried mounting the stock screen away from the fairing?

Inspired by the madstad logic of reducing low pressure behind the screen, I wonder if some small brackets that lifted the screen off the body say 10-30mm off the body would help.

Another or additional option could be to create a slight "hood scoop" at the bottom of the screen to add air underneath.

Both of these have been trialed before, with marginal success. I think shortening the stock screen is the way most people go who don't purchase aftermarket windscreens...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Cal Sci Medium works good for me cut downa little bit. At medium height I had this horrible howling noise which I believe was intake honk.

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
i had the yamaha touring screen on it when i bought it, but it also came with the stock screen, which I painted black. I use the stock screen around town, but just had to take an inpromtu 1000 mile trip. So I put the taller one back on because the weather around here is unpredictable at best. It was ok for deflecting the rain, but it was very noisy even with a helmet. I was wishing I had left the shorter one on, it seems to work just fine, I have no problems over any speed with it.

Grzeggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive me for posting when I sit here not even owning an FZ6!
(but I've been looking to get one, so I appreciate all yinzers comments)

In all these complaints about various unsatisfactory screens, I wonder if the problem is more related to the distance between screen and rider....?

The first impression I get whenever I see or sit on an FZ6 is how far forward the whole fairing seems to be mounted. Most sport bikes have a screen that comes back much closer to the rider--like inches from one's helmet. Is there possibly too much space for turbulence to wrap around behind the screen and hit the rider's face?

-GD

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'7" an spend a good bit of time on the interstates, my head and body took more wind then I wanted on my 2007. I went with a Madstad 20 inch screen.

It's a really nice setup that is fully adjustable. It allows you to set it up so that wind comes under the screen to keep you cool in the summer but without the buffeting on the body or head. It's not as cool looking as the stock screen, but it does look cool in a more touring style. I recommend it if your looking for smoother highway riding. Really nice materials and build, installation was pretty straight forward.

scm859

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
Cursing the turbulence and wind noise in my helmet i now realise after reading the poll that purchasing a Puig DB Screen may be the way forward, i'm 5' 7".
As i have the Lava Red S2 model, i'd like to ask you all which screen i should buy,the light or dark smoke.

:Sport::