FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered the Puig Touring screen. I had a touring type screen on my previous bike and it made a big difference when the weather starts to get cold.

Boomer

Reaction score
Visit site
So after Googling and reading dozen of webpages on the Laminar Lip, including testimonials, I decided to make one myself. After several false starts cracking the plexiglass, I finally got one that was the right thickness and right flexibility. I order the dual lock as recommended and mounted the LL. It looked good. The width was the same as the stock screen and the wind tunnel between the LL and the screen was about an inch. It added about an inch of height to the wind screen too. So the moment of truth, I took it for a test ride and the LL replica was no better than without the LL. In fact, I think it made the buffeting even a little worse. FAIL!!!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So after Googling and reading dozen of webpages on the Laminar Lip, including testimonials, I decided to make one myself. After several false starts cracking the plexiglass, I finally got one that was the right thickness and right flexibility. I order the dual lock as recommended and mounted the LL. It looked good. The width was the same as the stock screen and the wind tunnel between the LL and the screen was about an inch. It added about an inch of height to the wind screen too. So the moment of truth, I took it for a test ride and the LL replica was no better than without the LL. In fact, I think it made the buffeting even a little worse. FAIL!!!

That sucks! I still have not made a decision on what screen I want. The Puig DB seems very popular (it's leading the poll), but I hear a lot of people saying it makes no appreciable difference. I have had the opportunity to ride a couple of friends naked and cruiser bikes for long distances, and did not find the wind/noise especially bad. Maybe I'll convert and go naked....

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of you have spent a considerable amount of time researching and crafting a wonderful myriad of windshield mods. Call me lazy fro just going to the MADStad shield, but I get the best of both worlds. Naked or shielded. I figure for the money vs the amount of time I would have spent crafting something I came out ahead. It is funny that there seems to be only two of us that have gone that route here on this poll and there are a number of folks that have gone through a couple of different shields that would total the cost of the MADStad.

Great job on this poll and many of the crafty solutions to breaking wind.:D

hihill

Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta find a windshield solution tooooo - have the puig touring now - it does look really good, but the wind noise is crazy - I've read all the posts, and the most intriguing so far is chopping it down, but I'm not ready to "try" that quite yet - can't afford to make a mistake with it!

It doesn't appear the Madstad screen is made for our bikes?

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site

Boomer

Reaction score
Visit site
Madstad is listed at $259... that's really expensive! The MRA at $119 is more reasonable. If I had known that the homemade versions would not work, I would have purchased one. But many of the websites testified that their homemade versions were just as good. Maybe I did something wrong. Now that I am $50 into all of the purchased materials, I may cut my losses and by the MRA.

Badbikerbob has the MRA on a touring windshield. I wonder if it would work on the stock windshield.

D

Dave.TX

After emailing Madstad they do have an FZ6 setup, it just isn't on their website yet. It does include the aluminum plate to replace the stock windscreen for more strength. As quoted from them, "The system will be $289.95 and shipping should be around $18-20 for UPS Ground."

It may be large but works effectively. If you're leaning more towards sport touring then this is the way to go. Seems like every windscreen is hit and miss though. The Madstad seems to be a hit for everyone that gets it. I'm 6'4" and don't think any of the smaller ones will work effectively. I don't want to have to lean forward and tuck behind one just to eliminate buffeting and the headaches and ear ringing it causes with me.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Tall OEM windscreen, Givi tall windscreen and the stock windscreen. They all kinda suck, actually. The Talls both take wind off my body causing less fatigue while on longer rides compared to the stock windscreen. They both direct air under my helmet causing a loud roar, especially without earplugs. Although the characteristics of both screens are similar, the Givi Tall creates a smoother airflow than the OEM tall. I rarely use the stock screen anymore as I tend to ride longer distances regularly.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the standard S2 screen on my bike and thought I would like an Airblade double bubble but when I wanted to mount a mini DVD camera on the handlebars I pout the OEM screen back on and find it much better than a double bubble for wind and turbulence so I will stick with it

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that the Madstad screens are new to our group, but my father just sent me a kit for Christmas (yes I asked for them after much research) and oh my lord it is amazing on the highways. I am 6'1'', so it was a little harder finding a screen that would work well. I so far have loved the adjustability and the look of it. Some pics for comparison are attached.

I believe it is the Sport CR in Smoke Grey

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose I should have read the first post - although I didnt see a lot of the templates going on...here is mine

Screen name: Madstad
Usage (Track bike, touring, commuter, etc): Commuter, Touring, Track (will be back to my custom puig)
Cost (and currency): $300USD
Screen height: 22''
Installation (ie. bolt on, mods required, etc.): OEM setup with bracket attachments
Bike model (S1, S2, Naked): S2 07
Pro's: Doesnt look bad with the bike, best wind protection, quite, good construction, the people at the shop are amazing and very friendly
Con's: It is tall, but thats what I wanted for touring as I can switch to my modified puig for the track.
Pics (if your screen is unique/obscure): see post above.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
this was the first mod i did. i bought a yamaha touring screen for my s2. its not much taller than stock 1-1.5 in maybe but its got a bigger bubble flex and is lightly more upright. much better wind protection on interstate. the wind now hits just over my forehead and im 6'ish. oh and its smoked so it looks good too.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been loving mine since I got it. I had taken a trip last spring in Arkansas and spent all day in the rain and then in the wind on the way back to the D/FW area with the stock shield. It was a beating to say the least. The MadStad shield has allowed me the ability to create the "cone of silence" if I want or to tailor the air flow to my liking. For what I have seen others here pay for multiple shields I think this was well worth the cash.

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
I´ve been thinking of putting a Puig Racing screen on my bike. But I am a little bit confused with color I should have. I dont want completely dark so I have been looking on the "dark smoke" one. Is this one enough dark but that you still can look thru it if you get what I meen? Does anyone perhaps have som pictures ? It is not so easy to get the color right on ther homepage.

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Cribbe-

I have a Puig dark smoke shield on mine. It is the racing one that is like a double bubble form. Rode it last week like this and really like it! Looks great and you can for sure see thru it. The fit and finish were top notch, I would recommend it!

I included 2 pics of mine, one inside the garage and one outside in the sunlight. Hope that helps...

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
Thanks for a quick answer and for your pictures. I have now orderd a Racing in "dark smoke". It will arrive for me hopefully some day next week. Promise to post pictures.

scottyblumps

Keep it on 2
Reaction score
Visit site
Naked...

3.jpg