FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I use a Puig racing screen cut down for the hot weather--
P1000656.jpg

Works very well, much smoother air flow and the noise level isn't to bad.
I have a Puig touring screen for colder weather.
Jerry

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've currently got the Puig DB on my 2006 FZ6. It came with it, I didn't choose it. It looks good, and that's it. I'm 6ft tall. The screen causes lots of buffeting. When I stand up, it gets MUCH quieter. It seems to direct all the wind right at my face, or just under my helmet, which of course results in tons of noise. Even with earplugs, it's way too loud. I'm going to give the OEM touring screen a try, as it's taller and has that nice lip at the top, which should help a bit.

Maybe we should include our height, as that can make a big difference in our perception of these screens. Clearly a Puig DB will be viewed differently to a 6ft tall person, compared to 5ft tall person.

Screen name: Puig Double Bubble
Usage : Commuter ; Touring
Cost (and currency): $0 came with the moto
Screen height: A bit taller?
Installation : OEM replacement
Bike model : S1
Pro's: Looks nice, especially the light tint
Con's: Noisy, lots of buffeting, even when fully tucked. No idea compared to stock, as I never had the stock screen.
Rider Height : 6ft. even

Last edited:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've currently got the Puig DB on my 2006 FZ6. It came with it, I didn't choose it. It looks good, and that's it. I'm 6ft tall. The screen causes lots of buffeting. When I stand up, it gets MUCH quieter. It seems to direct all the wind right at my face, or just under my helmet, which of course results in tons of noise. Even with earplugs, it's way too loud. I'm going to give the OEM touring screen a try, as it's taller and has that nice lip at the top, which should help a bit.

Maybe we should include our height, as that can make a big difference in our perception of these screens. Clearly a Puig DB will be viewed differently to a 6ft tall person, compared to 5ft tall person.

Screen name: Puig Double Bubble
Usage : Commuter ; Touring
Cost (and currency): $0 came with the moto
Screen height: A bit taller?
Installation : OEM replacement
Bike model : S1
Pro's: Looks nice, especially the light tint
Con's: Noisy, lots of buffeting, even when fully tucked. No idea compared to stock, as I never had the stock screen.
Rider Height : 6ft. even

Thanks! I'm also 6' and from what you describe there is likely no difference between the stock and DB screens, as I have the same complaints with the stock screen. I'm considering purchasing another stock screen and cutting down the old one to see if I can make an appreciable difference. I have found a few older threads on various designs for this...

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Puig racing screen cut down for the hot weather--
Works very well, much smoother air flow and the noise level isn't to bad.
I have a Puig touring screen for colder weather.
Jerry

How far did you cut down? Looks like the width of your mirror bodies +/- an inch or two?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I'm also 6' and from what you describe there is likely no difference between the stock and DB screens, as I have the same complaints with the stock screen. I'm considering purchasing another stock screen and cutting down the old one to see if I can make an appreciable difference. I have found a few older threads on various designs for this...

Yeah, if the touring screen doesn't work out for me, then I'll take a stab at modifying an original. I'll probably have to buy a few used ones, as I'll want to experiment with different ideas I have. lol

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
This weekend I put back my windscreen after riding with out one for few weeks! Never again! The noise the turbulence was intolerable after I got used to the smoother air flow without the screen. I highly recommend people just to try it out for themselves (on 04-06 models). Just 5 screws to take it off.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I wish somebody could find a solution for us S1 owners

I love my FZ6, but the wind noise is absolutely horrible. I'm 6'3" and since buying my FZ6 new in 2004, I've had the factory shield, the tall Yamaha windshield, and now the Puig DB, but they all suck. (Well, the tall Yamaha shield created a really weird shaking that was worse than the others....)

I really like having some kind of windscreen on the bike, and I have no plans to ditch the fairing and go naked, so I need somebody to come up with a magical windscreen solution for us 2004-2006 riders. :)

Even with the earplugs that I wear, the noise is incredibly loud. I remember when I bought the FZ6 and still have my CBR600F4 for a few months. Riding them back to back made it clear how loud the FZ6 wind noise was. :eek:

We need some wind tunnel time or something. Maybe a box of fifty windscreens with some hacksaw blades and dremel bits.

astpierre

Reaction score
Visit site
i am also looking for a solution to the wind noise and buffeting issue i have with fz6. any solution for taller riders would be appreciated. don't really want to go naked...thanks!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i am also looking for a solution to the wind noise and buffeting issue i have with fz6. any solution for taller riders would be appreciated. don't really want to go naked...thanks!

I just ordered the OEM touring screen. It's not shipping until the 10th(next Wensday), so it'll be a while. Hopefully I'll have it by next weekend. I'll report my results as soon it goes on and I can ride. Ugh, haven't ridden in a while due to the super heavy fog we've been getting. It's like winter never went away! Anyways, hopefully it'll work out good. The waiting is driving me nuts!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Puig Touring screen for me. I'm 6'1" and it's much better than stock for longer rides and short touring. No real head buffetting at all, just a smooth air flow up and around the helmet.

One odd thing...I first installed the windshield without the rubber edging strip, and I didn't find the windshield all that great. After a while I realized that I hadn't put on the edging, so I did. What a difference! It must act like a spoiler. Make sure to put in on!

IMG_3806.jpg

Flesh

Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM standard screen on my S2 is awful. Directs air onto my chest and under the lid. I'm only a short-ar*e aswell at 5'8".
Due to the lovely weather we have here in Scotland I need a bit of protection from the wet stuff that regularly falls from the sky :D

I have been looking at either the Puig Touring screen (£90GDP) or the Yamaha Touring Screen (£88GDP).

The Puig looks as much nicer, especially in black/smoke as the Yam screen only comes in clear. The Yamaha screen is however wider at the top with a little lip.
It does however look "practical".

So the debate for me is over astetics vs function.

Anyone comment on either the Puig or Yam screen to swing its favour?

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally tested out my Puig racing screen vs. the OEM screen on my bike, and the Puig is MUCH better. I'm about 5'11, and the OEM screen shot air right at my neck/helmet when riding. With the Puig, there is a noticable difference and less wind buffeting. I also think it looks better.

Flesh

Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit that I find the DB screens do generally look better than "touring style" higher screens but have found on most bikes they are less effective at deflecting wind and are noisier.
The Yamaha touring screen on my FZ1 Fazer looks bogging but is really effective at deflecting all weather and I almost feel cocooned behind the screen. Its so good its been actually too hot in the one or two days we have had over 20 degrees C here as I get no wind blast to cool me down.
Is there a screen that will do a similar job for the S2 though?

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used 3 windscreens on my 2009:

1) Stock. I thought it was fine, untill I tried the options, now I really don't like it any more.

2) Puig DG - Much better than stock for freeway, About 2 inches taller and more upright which makes the bike much better at speed.

3) GIVI 440D - (about 22") With the hand protection on the wings. I love this for cold riding as my hands are protected, Terrible helmet buffetting at freeway speeds with the EXO700 so that my vision was blurred. But with a Bell Apex Helmet, there is no buffeting. I prefer the Puig in summer, but use the GIVI in cooler weather. The hand protection also keeps almost all rain off my hands.

I installed a SAENG lip to the top of the Givi and it did help reduce turbulance a little, but not much:
SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Micro-Swirl™| Edging | Grade-2
Check out this website as they have some cool products.

Happy riding
DJ

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I bought a Puig racing screen to replaced the scratched up Puig standard screen that came on the bike. I'm not sure I like it so far (had it on for 3 days). Buffetting is worse on highway speeds with the DB, but the wired thing is I can put my hand on my neck and it smooths out A LOT. Maybe the helmet has something to do with it as the previous poster wrote. I wore a different jacket one day and that seemed to help as well (fit different around the neck). I also have FZ1 bars, so I'm not sitting up as straight as others may be.

I'm going to give it through next week and see if it gets better. If I still don't like it, look for it in the for sale section...

Last edited:

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the puig DB smoked and really like it. There is one spot that I get a lot of buzzing but overall much better than stock. Also looks sharp with my white paintjob :)

Flesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered a cheap Yamaha Touring screen off Fleabay so will see what the results are like.
Helmet choice does make a big difference though. Currently using a Shoei XR1100 and it is awful for wind noise and buffeting. Worse with a non standard screen.
It is really bad on my FZ1 Fazer where as my previous Raid II lid was great.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cal Sci on now, I believe it's a Large. Your choices are M-L-XL if memory serves - at any rate it's 9" taller than stock. The fit is not good, it doesn't bend in enough for the screws on both sides to comfortably go in, which sucks. But it absolutely does calm the air down all around you. Behind that shield, it is now quiet and calm enough to play solitaire on the gas tank. The air hits the top 1" of my helmet in a smooth fashion, so if I feel like ducking down a little I am completely shielded. If not, it's minimal. Should be nice in cold weather, but I sure as hell wish they would get the bend right so it fit better.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cal Sci on now, I believe it's a Large. Your choices are M-L-XL if memory serves - at any rate it's 9" taller than stock. The fit is not good, it doesn't bend in enough for the screws on both sides to comfortably go in, which sucks. But it absolutely does calm the air down all around you. Behind that shield, it is now quiet and calm enough to play solitaire on the gas tank. The air hits the top 1" of my helmet in a smooth fashion, so if I feel like ducking down a little I am completely shielded. If not, it's minimal. Should be nice in cold weather, but I sure as hell wish they would get the bend right so it fit better.

I came into the same problem when I did my first batch of screen for the 6R. They were perfect when they were done, but the first few that I send out were just packed in a box. As the screen sit there not screw on the bike or jig, it "relax" and loose it's form and go more flat. PITA to put on like that!!! If you leave it at the sun or gently heat it up with a heat gun (not from too close) it will be easier to bend it back and put it on your bike...