Your Rider Resume

Bodarc

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned a few bikes. Begining in 1992 with a (don't laugh) a Honda Rebel. It was a value to me while in the service. San Diego was expensive for an E1- E3. Due to a very tense situation I figured I'd wait until I was a little smarter before I own another.

So at 30 I purchased bike #2. 2002 Honda VT750 ACE. Good bike, learned lots. Found out that it was not the bike for real long runs. After 5,500 miles upgraded to the 2005 1300 VTX. great machine. The wife loves it. Currently 7700+ miles.

Upon temtation to entertain a more primal urge to go FAST. I bought my 2005 FZ6. I love it. Great bike. Around 6000 miles. Haven't any real accidents. Have been run off the road once. Resulted in a severe butt kicking.

I have road several Republic of Texas rally's. I have deffinately road with more experienced riders then myself. I have gotten out of some serious situations by the grace of God.

I am a college graduate, with an Electrical Engineering Degree from OSU. I have an accomplished career with the Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration. I am however a constant student of mechanics, and mechanical operations.

I have rebuilt several car engines and transmissions. Other than that, my motorcycle mechanical experience / knowledge is restricted to barely nothing.

I enjoy riding more than...well just about anything. It does have its limits. But Mama lets me ride when ever I want. Heck, she loves to ride too.

Never been to a track day, but looking foward to it.

I am daring, but not death defing. I have four children to see get grown. Plus I have a gorgous wife. Can't see her with anyone else. So that sums it up for me. Hope thats helpfull.

Total miles approx: 25000 miles
Fastest: 141 Mph
Rides 2 up: Lots
Rides Twistys: Every Chance I get
Does own maintenance: Every bit
Student: Always
Spelling: Can't

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thought id do my bit as a new member

Got my full uk liceince in 2005
02 Kawa KR1s
05 Naked Bandit 650 (last oil/air cooled model)
07 DRZ-SM
Next Week FZ6 Faired

Expierence: Off road and only the use of freinds bikes at that
Since getting my liceince ive built up very few miles (fair weather rider..living in UK :()
I ride within my comfort zone as i believe leaving my two young children without a father just for the kudos is plain selfish

Technical: No training just a misplaced over confidence in seeing a job through to the end (but only on my stuff)..enjoyed modding cars learning from websites/forums..this carried over to bikes when i aquired my KR1s in about 10 boxes,which was my first serious project

As a forum user : i only offer advice on things ive done ,not things i heard my fathers brothers girlfreinds cousins dog did to his bike/car..i take advice the same way..if i can help ..i will.

martin

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, new user here, so thought I'd fill in a few of the blanks about me! :)

I'm 30, was born in the UK to an Italian family, work in IT, have traveled around a lot but now live happily in France, splitting my time between Paris and Holland for work. :)

I used to mainly be a car guy, growing up in a totally 'petrol head' family. Had my selection of insanely impractical and unreliable cars... but none ever seemed to hit the spot. I had Mk1 Golf GTi, 1.6 and 1.9 205 GTis, MGB GT, Mini Cooper S, BMW 325i... none of them 'did it' for me somehow, and combined with a totally 'anti-bike' fiance I figured that no matter how much I loved bikes, the time wasn't right...

I finally got my bike license in 2000 in the UK after a 3 days course! Broke up with Fiance on the Monday, signed up on the Tuesday... Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) on the Wednesday morning... Passed my full bike test on the Friday! Was I ready and competent for the roads? A very loud NO DAMN WAY. Looking back it was crazy to release people like that to ride in public, and I am glad they changed the system now.

For work reasons I then didn't ride for 12 months or so, didn't even have access to a bike... so in 12 months I had only 3 days experience and never rode anything over 500cc! Instead of a refresher course, renting a bike or something to ease myself back in and regain the skills... I did what I only I thought was a good idea...

I went out and bought a brand new GSX-R 600 K1. :eek:

As I literally shot off the dealers forecourt with no control of the bike, headed across the street like an out of control meteor, dropping the bike on my knee to stop it, I realised it may not have been the best idea as all I'd ridden until them was an ER5 restricted to 50bhp!

I am not sure how I got the 20 miles home, but I remember the shaking, nausea, and not touching the bike in 3 weeks as I was terrified of it! Gradually I started doing small rides when no other road users were around, reading tons of books on bike craft, and gradually getting some experience... After 12 months, I finally felt like I was a safe and competent rider... Learning on a Gixxer? NOT recommended!

After 3 years, and a lot of laughs later, I sold the bike, with the intention of getting another a few months later that year when the CBR600RR came out... my 2 months turned into 6 years!

I consoled myself with cars for the intervening years, but seeing friends bikes, doing a track day or 2, and also realised one day driving my convertible how much I missed bikes, I decided to get another... Being older (although maybe not wiser) I figured a Supersports bike wasn't for me at the moment, and looked at a FZ1, but seeing the issues, and also the fact I didn't need a 1000cc bike, a FZ6n s2 seemed ideal! I am loving every minute of it.

Riding the FZ6 these days, I realise how much I have to learn, and also how much more sensible I am this time around... Always make sure I ride within my (not huge) ability, wear gloves, jacket, boots etc at all times, and how much more defensive I am in style than with the GSX-R... Good times :)

As for mechanical skill... none formally, btu years of fixing Landrovers, MGB's and Mini Coopers kind of left it's mark, and I am not bad with the spanners on small things, and a few mods... However I'd never fix anything critical, I leave that to the pros! As my father said when he was alive, he'd never drive in anything I made... and I have to agree with him! :D

Last edited:

MacDuben

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone thanks for the great resource and community. I just signed up after lurking for most of the summer.

I'm 25 and bought my '05 FZ6 in May. It's my first bike I've ever owned and ridden on the road. I have minimal dirt experience (like 5 times total), so I am a fairly inexperienced rider.

I learned how to ride illegally and stupidly: no license, no experience, minimal gear, just hopped on it and tried to keep up with my friends. Of course, I dropped the bike pretty much immediately, but I got lucky and didn't hurt myself and the bike only had some paint scuffing.

Since then, I've learned how to not be a squid thanks to reading a ton of your threads. I've taken and passed the MSF course, got endorsed, got some good gear, and have logged about 3000 miles.

I ride my bike to commute to work (less than 5 miles) but have been taking longer trips now that I feel confident. I've ridden it into Detroit several times and up to (but not over, yet) the Mackinaw Bridge, and done a few lakeside tours of Lake Michigan and Huron.

My mechanical aptitude and rider skill are both low. I can inflate the tires and grease the chain, and that's about it. I would be the one asking the stupid questions but fortunately it seems as if most have been asked and answered already - thank you search function. If I answer anything other than a computer question (I'm in IT) I strongly recommend you take it with a grain of salt.

After reading this forum, I have a serious case of upgrade-itis and plan on spending a bunch of money over the winter on fun stuff like exhaust, windscreens, sprockets, and a seat.

Phil FZ6 Yarm

Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding age 6 years old, a Tectamoto (?) 50cc automatic! I then passed my UK road test aged 23, and this was the only driving test I paid to do with my own money, the Army paid for everything else!

I've also owned a Suzuki 250 (GSX i think?)
A Honda CB500
A Honda CBR 600F
A Honda NTV 650
A Suzuki Bandit 600f
A Yamaha FZ6 Fazer,
And of course my work bikes include the Harley Davidson (military) and Honda Pan European.

Last edited:

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
Name is Hunter.

22 and married to a smoking hot lady who once was Elizabeth Taylor, now Edmisten.

I have been riding on two wheels since 3, so naturally my parents experimented to see how far I could go without falling. I've ridden a dirtbike and streetbike made by the top 4 since I was 13 with a few additions of a speed triple, a ktm, and 1 ducati. With each bike I learn something more about myself and how to improve upon my riding experiences.

I have been working on bikes obviously since I started riding, but I have been working on big horsepower engines for longer with my father. I am a HUGE JEEP enthusiast as I built many Jeep rock crawling rigs over the last few years. My latest vehicle is a 2002 Jeep TJ with a custom 4 link suspension with D44 chromoly axles and 35" Maxxis Trepador tires. The Jeep has the works with 5 point harnesses, custom cage with matching race seats and beadlocks. I drive it on the weekends and use my truck, the wive's explorer, or the FZ to commute.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding for about 25 years.Started off on a 1979 RD250,passed my test on that one then bought a GPZ550 but ever since seeing Mad Max I lusted after a Z1000,Then riding past a country petrol station I saw one sitting off to the side and woohoo it was for sale ! Gave him a deposit there and then and picked it up the next day.

Had that bike for 4 years and loved it but man it was like riding a plank of wood ,lol.Sold it and bought a GPZ1000RX,now that was some serious HP ! Got it up to 245 kph but got scared ,lol. I eventually fitted a trailer to it and the wife and I used to go all over the country on it,had a ball,But after 10 years it was time for it to go.

Then I got hold of a '98 CBR600f in orange and black.........looked like a jaffa ,lol
That thing went hard and opened my eyes to the power of a new 600,had that for 4 years and then along came the FZ6 and the rest ,as they say,is history.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen enough rider resumes out here...time for mine!:D

I'm 19 years old, but consider myself very experienced for a rider my age. I started riding my dad's KDX250 2-stroke when i was about 8.
I rode that for a while until i got my TTR-225 at about 12. I got a ton of offroad experience with that one. I rode that until 8th grade when i broke my collarbone doing a jump. That's when i quit riding for a couple years.

Skip ahead several years.... my dad bought a Honda XR650L the day i graduated high school (June 8 2007). I rode that thing 1/2 a mile down the road and back, said it was way too fast and that I would never ride it. But within a week I changed my mind got my motorcycle permit! This is the bike i have ridden the most, learned all my road skills on, worked on the most, and enjoyed better than all the other bikes! I have roughly 15,000 miles experience between dirt and road i guess.

I have a decent knowledge of motorcycles and cars for my age, but i will tell you if I'm not sure on an answer or just guessing. I took automotive classes in high school and in college right now working on a degree in automotive systems. All of my experience is from working on me and my dads cars and bikes. My dad has always worked on his own vehicles and has a good deal of knowledge about everything(jack of all trades, and master of computers!)

In July 2008, My dad bought a 2004 Yamaha FZ6, which i have ridden some, but i think it is just to heavy for me (i only weigh 130 LBS at 6'0!)
I have ridden it, but i see it as too fast for me to be comfortable on, and haven't ridden it since. I don't trust myself on a bike that will do 150 MPH+. I'll admit i take a lot of risks as a rider, but I never do anything I am uncomfortable with! I don't consider myself a newb, but I know when there is too much bike for me to handle!

My next bike will probably be a DRZ-400SM...my dream bike right there...
hate to p155 off Yamaha fans but that thing is beautiful!

Most of my riding has taken place on the country back roads with hardly any traffic... I need to improve my urban riding skills...I'm not very comfortable riding with a lot of traffic through busy intersections, but I am very cautious and always looking for cagers. I can usually keep an eye out for a deer or any other animal wanting to ruin my day!

I started in dirt and prefer it over asphalt.... but I have to admit I enjoy riding a bike on the street and do so quite often. I usually wear all my gear but still need some good riding pants and boots.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to the forum, and since I've been posting a fair amount lately figured I should probably take the time to give you all my info.

I'm 47, for now. Grew up around gear heads and mechanics.

The vast majority of my riding has been on OPB -- other people's bikes. I started riding at about 10 on my dad's step-through (automatic) honda 90. Since then a string of mini-bikes, motocross, street, and dual-sport bikes.

Got my license as soon as I was legal. Rode my brother's Honda 750 super sport everyfreakinwhere.

Long period of time with little moto riding except for a friend's rebel 250. Yeah, I know, that's not even a real motorcycle...

Avid cyclist. Been riding and, off and on, not-so-seriously racing bicycles as a grown-up since '87. Wrenched for about 5 years (on bicycles). Rode a bicycle 6000 miles around and across the country in 1994. I now race downhill and am a USA Cycling certified coach. Been studying a martial art since 1995, which helps to keep me fit and flexible...most of the time.

My first personal, real bike didn't come until 1999. A Honda VFR 800. Really nice bike. I'll own another some day. I did one track day on the bike, it was at a Reg Pridmore Class session.

Got the FZ in Feb. of '07. Bought it primarily to commute with. Now that I've started to tweak it, maybe I'll get out and do some recreational riding, too. I don't consider myself a fast rider. I don't tell other folks how to ride. I'm just real comfortable being on a bike.

I've never had a really big deal get-off on a motorcycle. Plenty of "spills" but that's about it. I know that I've been very fortunate and lucky. Plenty of gnarly crashes on bicycles. No broken bones, but I know what "hematoma" means.

I'm like the original poster: if I've got something useful to add to a conversation, I'll do so. I'll make every effort to qualify what I'm sharing. If I don't know something, I'll endeavor to either keep my mouth shut or ask questions. I'm here to meet like-minded riders and to learn.

In the short time that I've been lurking and now posting to this forum, I've learned a great deal. The vibe here is really open, supportive, and respectful.

I do a fair amount of writing in my job...can you tell? I'll work on the succinct thing.

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not terribly experienced. I thought I could teach myself how to ride on a friend's 250 when I was 18. I dropped it in about 10 minutes. I had to get the bike back on the road and ride it home from where I dropped it.

That scared me off until I was 21. I took a HD Rider's Edge course and had a great time. Then I bought a 1995 CBR 600 F3. It was way too much bike for me, but I always took it easy and never had a problem with it. I sold that bike to buy a house the next year and took a break from riding.

I missed my CBr every nice day in the summer, so I bought the FZ6 a few weeks ago. I decided I wanted something a little more comfortable and the FZ6 is perfect. I'm doing break in miles now, so I can't say how the speed compares. I do know the FZ is more than fast enough and I'm riding pretty slow so I can get my old skills back. I may take another basic MSF class next spring as a refresher. I know I learned a TON the first time I took it. I highly recommend the class to anyone who hasn't taken it.

I'd like to try a track day, but I'm a long way from being able to utilize the time right now. Hopefully next summer I will be confident enough and can head to a local track for some instruction.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I started out with a 98 Honda VTR 1000. Not the best choice for a first bike, but I made it work. The R/R went out on the bike and I had to have someone with a trailer come pick me up. The bike wasn't tied down good enough and the bike took a spill off the trailer. So I got to do alot of work on that bike. Replace right side case, brake pedal, rear set, front fairings, windscreen, brackets, ect. Had that bike for awhile and eventually got an R6. Had that R6 for about 5k miles, and did a couple mods to it. Ended up selling the VTR 1000 and shortly after trading the R6 to the FZ6. I just didn't want a super sport bike anymore. I mainly commute now on the FZ6 and occationally do trips. I also do all the maintenance on my bikes except any internal engine work. Or anything I don't feel comfortable with. Well that's my resume.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Owner and rider for 33 years. MSF Instructor for 7 years. Never done a track day. I have owned 18 motorcycles of various brands. I am on my second FZ6.

I do most of my own maintenance, but have no formal training. If I am not confident I can perform the repair properly, I take to a trained mechanic. If I am not sure about my comments, I keep them to myself.

I ride to work ~45% of the time (I live in Indiana). I am an engineer so I am anal and chart the days I ride to work for whatever purpose it may serve. I ride between 10K & 12K miles per year depending on ability to get away for trips.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm the "old guy" of the FZ6 Forum at age 56. Got my first bike at
age 14 a Yamaha YG1 80cc, and have been riding ever since. Did not ride
when my children were young but back in full swing now. I have mostly
Classic bikes but ride my FZ6 and FJR1300 most of the time. Drag raced
Super Pro Mustang for 10 years. I am a poor racer also, so I did most of
my own work. Have restored many old bikes including 79 CBX Honda,
76 Kawasaki KZ900, Suzuki PE 250, two 305 Honda Superhawks and
a CB160. I know a little about alot of bikes, but don't know alot about
any one of them. This forum has helped me alot on my Fizzer. Just love the
bike but the larger Feejer is alot better on the road. Yamaha and Honda
are my favorites. I will help with limited knowledge anytime.
Oh yeah, I am an intermediate rider and have brittle bones, so I don't
run on the edge all that much.
Wally aka racerws

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Learned to ride road bikes in 93. Did A ridersafe course here in Adelaide and spent 18 months riding a really cruddy cbx250 4 stroke.
Then virago, then a slapped together sticker licker bike.
A mate owed me for some work I did for him knocking almonds so he slung me a number of boxes of bike parts and pigeon droppings along with a bare frame. Went to a bike shop and after searching through the books on the shelf I found it. XS400 Yammy.
I sand blasted everything back to bare metal (everything...lol.). Picked up a huge quantity of stainless bolts and bits. Got the forks hard chromed, bits gold pacifated....yatta yatta yatta.
Frame powdercoated black, Tank and plastic sprayed red and road this beast for 5 years (2 of which I didn't set foot in a car at all). Done lots of night riding, wet riding and commuting. This is my first fuel injected beast and by far the fastest. Also my first sportsbike. So I've got loads to learn but I'm sure I can help some folk out here and there. Should have about 100,000km+ on my clock.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Learned to ride road bikes in 93. Did A ridersafe course here in Adelaide and spent 18 months riding a really cruddy cbx250 4 stroke.
Then virago, then a slapped together sticker licker bike.
A mate owed me for some work I did for him knocking almonds so he slung me a number of boxes of bike parts and pigeon droppings along with a bare frame. Went to a bike shop and after searching through the books on the shelf I found it. XS400 Yammy.
I sand blasted everything back to bare metal (everything...lol.). Picked up a huge quantity of stainless bolts and bits. Got the forks hard chromed, bits gold pacifated....yatta yatta yatta.
Frame powdercoated black, Tank and plastic sprayed red and road this beast for 5 years (2 of which I didn't set foot in a car at all). Done lots of night riding, wet riding and commuting. This is my first fuel injected beast and by far the fastest. Also my first sportsbike. So I've got loads to learn but I'm sure I can help some folk out here and there. Should have about 100,000km+ on my clock.
Cheers
Mike

Is that a killer Mullet i can see happening in that first photo? Lol!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO, I admit it's probably a little mullet-like but the front reached my chin if I pulled it down so it probably doesn't really fit the bill...lol. I'd not too long left the navy and it was nice to own my own head again...lol.:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO, I admit it's probably a little mullet-like but the front reached my chin if I pulled it down so it probably doesn't really fit the bill...lol. I'd not too long left the navy and it was nice to own my own head again...lol.:D

The Yammy 400 looked like a nice bike by the way. Lots of modding, are we going to see the FZ get a bit of the same?

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The mods on the XS were in a lot of cases necessary due to availability of parts, although the mufflers bars and eventually mirrors (after some communication with a dude in a blue uniform) were my own choice. Also the seat was rebuilt as 2 levels from the ground up and was way more comfortable than any other bike seat I've had. Three layers of different density foam, sculpted and formed. I had to buy a wrecked bike for the carbies and a few other bits and some other stuff was fabricated for me by my brother who is a tool maker by trade. The FZ is such a beautiful machine right off the bat that I am certainly in no hurry to make any purely cosmetic changes, but I'm starting to get used to the power to some extent but it's got more than I'm quite ready to go beyond yet (previous biggest bike was my XS400). Luggage on the other hand. I miss my gearsack rack and huge bag. Also good for passengers, after I padded it. I don't want to ruin the good looks of this bike with the wrong addition so I'll be taking it slow.
Cheers
Mike

kalel3914

Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Well, I've been riding since September '05, when I took the msf course and bought a slightly used GS500k2. 5 months ago I upgraded to the FZ6 (raven). 300 miles into that bike my friend and I (he was on the GS) got cut off by some 80 year old coffin stuffer and dumped, totaling the bikes. Healed and ready to rejoin the ride force, Saturday I bought a new Raven FZ6. All in all about 5000 miles (the second year my son was born and I only put on like 200 miles, and this year, I'm up to 370 on 2 FZ6's). Next year, barring any unforeseen medical emergencies, I'll actually get back to riding like I did my first summer as a motorcyclist!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have been riding since July of 07. The 07 FZ6 is the first street bike that i have owned. I am very happy with it. Thanks to all the guy's here they help to answer any questions or give idea's. I have done a few mods like,

Painted the hugger, belly pan, and coolant covers. PC111, K&N filter, -1 +2 520 conversion (red chain), frame sliders, dual head light, red body and engine bolt kits, Puig red windshield, Red led kit, metzler tire's, red foot pegs, YAMAHA swing arm stickers ans red rim strips, rear seat cowl and painted that red and that it for now. I live in Cape Coral, FL and drove the bike from FL to NY twice, also to West palm beach, Miami. And thats it, so in a nut shell I LOVE THE BIKE, AND WAS A WISE CHOICE.
And since he was born (named my bike after my son) I have put 9780k's on it.

Last edited: