Your Most Recent Repair?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Post it. Along with the year of your bike. You may also list other repairs since you've owned the bike. Not maintenance, preventive or otherwise. But things that broke or brokedown.

I have seen a few or several new threads around with riders experiencing some fairly serious issues. From a blown engine to a broken clutch to an electrical nightmare to some sort of "popping" at 8000rpm. A few other related threads are around, too. Seems things aren't perfect no matter how reliable or well serviced a bike is.

I know the key is preventive maintenance for many things, but not all things of course. This thread will help those asking "how reliable is the FZ6?" And I am sure such a thread already exist. But this thread is more about how unreliable is the FZ6? That is the question at hand for those who would want to know. And here are some answers below

2007 FZ6

10,500 miles

Owned for 4 and 1/2 months and 4000 miles

No repairs

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Two pretty recent ones:

2006 FZ6, 34k miles

Indicators not working -> cleaned up corroded connector
Cam chain tensioner failure -> towed to garage, CCT and timing chain replaced, valve clearances checked

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2007, 17,000 miles currently. Purchased used/wrecked/abused at 4,500 miles, owned since approx 2008.

No failure issues (again not counting replacement battery, oil changes, worn tires, etc)

tomouley

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a 2009 FZ6 with 600 miles in mid April 2014. Owned it 4 months. Noticed steering head bearing loose. Went to take steering chrome cap nut off and it was galled to the threads of steering shaft from bottom triple. Stripped the threads. Took off whole front end and now doing an R6S fork swap. Bike was mint and garage kept. I do not suspect foul play from previous owners. Bike was garage kept and original bearings were clean and had grease.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
04 fz6 bought with 10k sold with 45k

2 sets of handlebars
2 brake levers
1 clutch lever
1 mirror
Cracked rim (I cracked it changing a tire)
Cracked frame
Cracked oil pan
Stater
Fork seals
Rear rotor

Sent from my pocket rocket that don't know how to spell

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
2006 FZ6S
20,500 miles
Original owner

No mechanical repairs ever

The original horn mount broke off from using a heavy aftermarket horn, fabricated my own aluminum mount.

Maintenance:
spark plugs
4 sets tires
clean/lube chain every 500mi
replaced air filter
changed coolant 2X
Changed brake fluid 3X
Change oil every 4K

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
might be interesting to see what weather people generally ride in too

I ride in all-weathers, I'm wondering if they has anything to do with a most of my electrical issues

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice thread. My bike is kind of a POS so this is the thread for me. :D

I've had to replace the right side engine case gasket, the fuel pump O-ring, the fork seals, and I'm about to replace the chain (it's rusty and has stuck links). Replaced a footpeg I think, put the stock mirrors back on, and with the aid of some zip ties put the stock turn signals back on.

My bike currently has 21k miles (I think?) and I've owned it for I guess about 5k miles. It's a 2007 that was beat to hell by the gang of folks that owned it before me. It's got touches of rust and bent parts galore.

Edit: Most recent repair was the fuel pump O-ring, a new tank might well be the next part replaced if I ever get the money.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
might be interesting to see what weather people generally ride in too

I ride in all-weathers, I'm wondering if they has anything to do with a most of my electrical issues

Not to de-rail the thread, but I've found (when riding back and forth to work, before retirement, HEAVY rain/sun, etc), any and all electrical connections I pull apart (including bulbs), I put a dab of di-lectric grease on. Keeps the water out and the connectors happy... Strongly recommended...

Back to the thread. :thumbup:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has been solid through the years.

2006 and the only thing to break was my clutch cable (near the lever, of course) at 27100 miles. It wasn't even completely snapped, but if I kept riding it would have been within a day or two. Idk that I wouldnt consider this maintenance since this is normal for clutch cable.

Other than that just routine maintenance and a valve adjustment..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice thread. My bike is kind of a POS so this is the thread for me. :D

I've had to replace the right side engine case gasket, the fuel pump O-ring, the fork seals, and I'm about to replace the chain (it's rusty and has stuck links). Replaced a footpeg I think, put the stock mirrors back on, and with the aid of some zip ties put the stock turn signals back on.

My bike currently has 21k miles (I think?) and I've owned it for I guess about 5k miles. It's a 2007 that was beat to hell by the gang of folks that owned it before me. It's got touches of rust and bent parts galore.

Edit: Most recent repair was the fuel pump O-ring, a new tank might well be the next part replaced if I ever get the money.

I don't think he's looking at wear and tear items (chains, tires, etc) but for instance the fuel tank O-ring, rusty tank, etc..:thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to de-rail the thread, but I've found (when riding back and forth to work, before retirement, HEAVY rain/sun, etc), any and all electrical connections I pull apart (including bulbs), I put a dab of di-lectric grease on. Keeps the water out and the connectors happy... Strongly recommended...

Back to the thread. :thumbup:

yeah I need to get me some dielectric grease

I had problems with the rear indicators rusting inside. They have a hole that allows water (and salt) to get in, and they just end up corroding and falling apart. I suspect my front ones might be in a similar state

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
04 fz6 bought with 10k sold with 45k

2 sets of handlebars
2 brake levers
1 clutch lever
1 mirror
Cracked rim (I cracked it changing a tire)
Cracked frame
Cracked oil pan
Stater
Fork seals
Rear rotor

Sent from my pocket rocket that don't know how to spell

lol - ah, how many of those are the bikes fault? :spank:

Not that I'm picking on you, but you did put it out there! :thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
2005 FZ6 39,738 miles owned since 2011 with 12,000 on it

TPS sensor replaced under recall.
recently my turn signals have been working intermittently , but that is because the resistors (aftermarket LED's all the way around) are going bad and just need replaced nbd.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
2009 FZ6, purchased last spring with 2000 miles on it. Clock now @20,000.

No repairs!

Though I am starting to hear some cam chain noise... So this winter it will get a new CCT & Chain along with a valve shim check, and adjustment.

Rsaliga

Reaction score
Visit site
2006 Fz6 purchased with 9.5k miles

-14k miles blown engine (thrown rod)

The upside is that I now have a 2006 and half model (07 engine with under 5k miles)

no other issues, thankfully