Your favorite mod?

k.mcgeachen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I will be acquiring a 2004 fz6 this year and am looking foward to doing a few mods to it, You all seem to have done some nice upgrades. The bike is bone stock except for a Yamaha lower cowl kit. I plan to keep the fairing on the bike for some wind protection (sorry naked crowd!) but am planning on increasing performance and comfort. With that being said the bike needs to stay quiet and rideable for long distances. Some background about me, i am 16 years old, have been riding for 6 years and racing for 5. i ride/race almost every weekend and have raced harescrambles, motocross, enduros and flat track and I even ride on the ice when i gets cold enough up here. =) I am 6 foot and about 180 so suspension could use some help as well as ergonomics. So my question is what mods would be smart for me and in what order would you guys/gals suggest? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
-Kevin

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Buy single rate springs for the fork. Best money you could spend, in my view.

The rear suspension is not as bad, but it's still pretty ugly..... the money to upgrade that varies by how much improvement you need.

Performance, drop the front sprocket by a tooth. Not a 'real' gain, but it lets you access what there is much more easily.

Even with an extensive off road background, and the wide range of racing experience, the number one thing you can do to improve the riding experience is to attend some formal training on what to do on the road. You are head and shoulders ahead of the crowd in lots of important areas concerning riding..... but the most important thing is to be able to predict what other road users are going to do, and have that plan in place for when they do something that will potentially result in injury to you.:thumbup:

Welcome to the FZ6. It's a great bike.

k.mcgeachen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. A family friend of ours is actually an MSF instructor so I will most likely be attending a course. Also, mechanical difficulty is not an issue as I am lucky enough to have a factory yamaha trained motorcycle mechanic for a father and and access to a shop.

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
First mod I would recommend is Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valve Emulators.

Emulator part number you need is FEGV S4101. Go to RaceTech website and they have a chart for your weight to help pick right size fork springs.

Your forks will perform almost as well as cartridge forks with this mod.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Hard questions. Front fork mod for sure. If you are looking for low cost, shimming the front and adding thicker oil will help. If not, springs and emulators with a proper set up. Or since you have an 04, the R6S forks with the upgraded brake calipers would be good.

When I comes to performance, changing the sprocket(s) would provide the most gains and is very inexpensive. A PC3 and/or exhaust is nice but provides smaller gains for the dollar.

The FZ1 handle bar made the bike more comfortable for me but that's completely dependant on personal taste.

k.mcgeachen

Reaction score
Visit site
It is interesting in the two different mentalities about forks on the fz6. Some say that modifying the stock fork is the best bet while many others swear by swapping to an R6 fork. Which is better and why?

Race Tech Fork Emulator = $170
Race Tech Fork Springs = $110
Bottle of Race Tech Fork Oil = $30(normally use Yamalube oil but no price on site. :confused:)
Total To upgrade FZ6 fork= $310

This is assuming that the seals, sliders and bushings are good which is a seperate issue but, What is the estimated cost to do an R6 fork conversion with a reletivaly low mileage fork? and how would it perform compared to the upgraded FZ fork?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It is interesting in the two different mentalities about forks on the fz6. Some say that modifying the stock fork is the best bet while many others swear by swapping to an R6 fork. Which is better and why?

Race Tech Fork Emulator = $170
Race Tech Fork Springs = $110
Bottle of Race Tech Fork Oil = $30(normally use Yamalube oil but no price on site. :confused:)
Total To upgrade FZ6 fork= $310

This is assuming that the seals, sliders and bushings are good which is a seperate issue but, What is the estimated cost to do an R6 fork conversion with a reletivaly low mileage fork? and how would it perform compared to the upgraded FZ fork?

I didn't see a need to keep adjusting the fork, when I had a shop to the work on it for my weight and riding style. Emulators would require the fork to be torn down to 'tune'. My shop (GP suspension, in Oregon City, OR) recommended against emulators. They had developed their own in competition with Race tech, and found modifying the OEM cup at the bottom of the fork was just as effective.

Net result for me, was Ohlins fork springs, revalved OEM setup, and heavier Ohlins fork oil. I'd probably have just done the springs, and heavier oil if I had done it on my own. That would be considerably cheaper than the conversion to R6 forks.

The adapter kit someone has developed to mount the R6 fork on the FZ triple trees is the key.

If I were racing, (why would I race an FZ, when there are a lot of R6's our there?) I would want the external adjustment option.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
First mod I would recommend is Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valve Emulators.

Emulator part number you need is FEGV S4101. Go to RaceTech website and they have a chart for your weight to help pick right size fork springs.

Your forks will perform almost as well as cartridge forks with this mod.

Looking into doing this exact upgrade right now!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Thanks for the info. A family friend of ours is actually an MSF instructor so I will most likely be attending a course. Also, mechanical difficulty is not an issue as I am lucky enough to have a factory yamaha trained motorcycle mechanic for a father and and access to a shop.

:welcome:

If you haven't already, check out my website for some FZ6 mod ideas: Welcome to Boneman's FZ6 Site (shameless plug....)

I'm also an MSF Instructor (well almost...a few weeks left to go for my final certification) and I would highly reccomend taking a MSF course. Consider it a very worthwhile investment in yourself and your bike! People spend thousands on their bike :)eek:), so why not spend a few hundered in keeping you and that bike safe?!

Good luck with your modding and mak sure to keep us posted!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 bars..... mine just happened to have the rest of the bike attached?!?!? :D

For both the FZ6 and the FZ1, the Top Saddlery seats! Absolutely the best bucks I've spent!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me....has gotta be Ohlins fork Springs, and Ohlins rear shock...once i finally got it all set up properly....it transformed the bikes handling completely.

:thumbup:

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
well since everyone here is focused on performance im going to say the BD43 mod is the BEST i have ever done on my bike. if you ride at night you need this!. my work computer is too slow to look up the link but im sure someone will post it up. bassically it takes your low beams and turns them both on! such a great mod!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Handling is ther best place to start.The bike is plenty quick enough for road use.
Suspension mods or R6 forks.I've not had a problem with the rear shock but if you've got the Dough,then the Ohlins unit does seem to be the daddy.

then the most important thing of all,the Tyres ;)

Now thats the minefield! Everyone has an opinion on which are the best.I run Metzeler M1's on mine,but coming from Supermoto bikes I'm going to be trying out Maxxi's next,as they were super effective on my KTM and Husky.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
For me....has gotta be Ohlins fork Springs, and Ohlins rear shock...once i finally got it all set up properly....it transformed the bikes handling completely.

:thumbup:
that's exactly what i am going for.. ohlins front fork springs and ohlin rear shock assembly. will take pics and post it up when it arrives.. next up will be akrapovic exhaust and yamaha oem fairing (any1 selling?) :p

k.mcgeachen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for all of the info. All very helpful and interesting options. I'm guessing that the BD43 mod is a different wiring harness from another bike...info please? I will definitely be doing a fork mod/upgrade of some sort, even riding around town on the bike I have felt the sponginess in the front end. =/ Has anybody ridden bikes with a modified fork and an R6 fork? which felt more controlled, not just stiffer but better dampening? Has anybody done a off-road bar setup on their fz? (i.e. pro taper or renthal 7/8" aluminum mini bars.) Also I think we have a set of bars risers around so that could be an option too.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy one for me:
#1) Oxford Heated Grips (cold winter days, or cool summer mornings/nights) Best mod by far.

#2) Corbin Seat

Comfort over performance any day.

I second that + taller windscreen and a nice tail/tank bag, but before you start modding the bike I recommend investing in a nice set of safety gear.

Ride safe..

Terri_One

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has got to be opening up the airbox and putting in the k&n filter before sending the bike to a shop for carb sync and valve clearance works. now the bike runs silky smooth and no more jerking when changing gears.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
watch this video and tell me what you notice most (make sure your sound is cranked to 11 :rockon: )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt3-5sSqXhk"]YouTube- FZ6 Flyby[/ame]

And to show how deep they sound when not revved to the moon:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdWKCI0qzU"]YouTube- FZ6 with Leo Vince[/ame]

Last edited: