Yet another headlight mod? Really?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I searched and searched. If this has been covered before, let me know, I'm all about giving credit where it's due!

I've been looking at the different headlight mods and their pros and cons. The simplest way is to just run a jumper from the low beam of the left bulb to the empty low beam of the right bulb. Works, but draws extra power on high beam, and also probably shortens the life of your H4, burning both filaments when on high beam. So then we add an NC SPST relay to the mix, using the high beam wire to open the relay, and kill power to the low beam of the H4 when using the high beam. For all intents and purposes, this works, but you've gotten little benefit from mounting and wiring the relay- the headlights are still drawing full power through the headlight switch on the handlebar. The more elegant version is to just add the "missing" wire to the connector to power the right low beam- simple, it works, but again, you're still drawing all the power through the switch and small, meandering wires.

The closest I found to this idea was PrayHarder's mod, though the initial plan was a bit overcomplicated, and involved modding a bulb or the headlight to fit an H4 in the left for dual high beams as well.

HeadlightMod2.jpg

Sorry for my dumpy MSPaint schematic. Pay no mind to the far right relay, I just doodled that in assuming I would add a relay for the horn while I'm at it, so I could upgrade the horn in the future.

Fused power from the battery runs to the first SPST relay, which is closed by the signal from the stock low beam wire. The output of this relay powers the left headlight, as well as input power for the SPDT relay. It could also be used to provide switched power to a power outlet or just about anything else, since the headlight shouldn't be drawing more than ~10A through that 30A relay. The normally closed contact of the second relay powers the low beam of the right headlight, but only when the left headlight is powered. When the high beams are switched on, the second relay switches the right low beam off, and the high beam on. You could also switch to a pair of H4s and run them both from this second relay, or even leave the H7 and do the same, though you would then only have one bulb on high beam rather than low beam!

This way, all 3 (or 4, if you switch the left bulb) filaments are drawing power "directly" from the battery, and you don't have both filaments of the H4 burning at once, as well as gaining a switched power source that's limited by the bike's charging system more than anything else. It could also be made totally plug-and-play and removable by using male and female H4 plugs- just plug the stock connectors in, plug the new connectors into the bulbs, and hook up the battery leads!

Note: I'm not claiming the concept as my own. Most of it (especially the plug-and-play idea) was inspired by the IPF and similar H4 relay harnesses for cages.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, since none of you want to give me any feedback on the idea :)p) I went ahead and bought the supplies for it today. Three relay blocks (one for the horn relay) that dovetail together, a pair of H4 bulb connectors, a SPDT Hella relay, and a cool SPST Hella relay with double 87 terminals- one to the H7 bulb, one to the SPDT relay, no splicing needed!

I decided to go the cut-and-splice route on mine. No real need to ever undo it, and I was at $40+ in materials before I even bought fuse holders and wire, I didn't feel like spending more for 2 H4 male plugs.

Hopefully I'll have it done by this weekend... but I'm TERRIBLE about taking pics when I install stuff!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you made a easy job really complicated. I love it!

:confused:

Besides the shoddy schematic, and the fact that I left the 3rd relay in the pic even though it has nothing to do with the headlights... what's overly complicated?

I mean, the only other 'easy' way I've seen that works 100% still involves adding one relay, and still doesn't actually power either bulb through that relay. It's not like they're big, expensive, or hard to wire, why not add one more for all the benefits?

But yes, I do have that engineer's mindset that overcomplicates everything! :rolleyes:

edit: Redrew it to take out the horn relay, and reflect the dual 87 relay.

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search for BD43's headlight mod. Yamaha wired for the second headlight, but didn't finish the job. The wire doesn't go all the way to the second headlight, it stops at the terminal block under the tank. If you finish the job it works just fine, no relays, no schematic required.

I consider myself a complete novice when it comes to mechanics/electronics, but even I managed the mode in about 30 mins with BD43's wire.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search for BD43's headlight mod. Yamaha wired for the second headlight, but didn't finish the job. The wire doesn't go all the way to the second headlight, it stops at the terminal block under the tank. If you finish the job it works just fine, no relays, no schematic required.

I consider myself a complete novice when it comes to mechanics/electronics, but even I managed the mode in about 30 mins with BD43's wire.

Oops, I remembered that one right after I typed out the last post. It's definitely a good mod, don't know how it slipped my mind. But I'm weird, I like having my high-draw stuff powered through a relay rather than a switch, and I don't feel like finding/making the terminal to pop into the plug. :D

I don't know if taking the HL switch out of the loop will actually accomplish anything as far as brightness, I was hoping someone would chime in. I've been meaning to install a similar kit on my truck (it uses 9003/H4 bulbs) for the same reason, but never got around to it. At least I won't have to worry about the switch contacts corroding, though. :shrug:

Besides, I want to install a better horn, which will require its own relay with power run to the battery, so at that point it's not much more work.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Low Beam current on the FZ6 never travels through the handlebar Hi beam switch. The only current that travels through that switch is the Hi Beam. Both the Hi and Lo Beam circuits are already relay controlled through a fused circuit that goes to the main. I'm not understanding why you need to go direct to the battery when these circuits are already well designed to carry the needed current.

Want proof? Turn your ignition on (FZ6), don't start the bike. Look at the headlamps. Try the high beam. Nothing...Now start the bike...Now try your lights. Neat thing about the FZ6 is the engineers keep the headlights off until the engine is running. That gives us a little better chance of starting when the battery is weak. Great idea! Thank you Yamaha! :rockon:
The the ECU then allows ground path for the headlamp relay which allows current to the headlights. Already done for you!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhh... now I see what you were referring to in the PM. I had been looking at the black & white version if the wiring diagram in the service book, and it wasn't as clear to me as the older diagrams from the bikes I'm used to working on. Looking at the color one now makes it a lot easier to decipher!

Looks like the power is still routed through the key switch via the pink/blue wire, but I assume the key switch is at least better at handling all that power than the headlight switch on the bar.

BTW, my friend's '82 Maxim 550 also leaves the headlight off until the engine is running. Always ahead of their time. Wasn't Yamaha first to widely use TCI instead of points/condenser, too?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhh... now I see what you were referring to in the PM. I had been looking at the black & white version if the wiring diagram in the service book, and it wasn't as clear to me as the older diagrams from the bikes I'm used to working on. Looking at the color one now makes it a lot easier to decipher!

Looks like the power is still routed through the key switch via the pink/blue wire, but I assume the key switch is at least better at handling all that power than the headlight switch on the bar.

BTW, my friend's '82 Maxim 550 also leaves the headlight off until the engine is running. Always ahead of their time. Wasn't Yamaha first to widely use TCI instead of points/condenser, too?

Yes I know what you mean about some of the manuals..I've found and error in the call out sheet for the hi and lo beam in one of my FZ6 manuals. They got it reversed. It might be the same in all the FZ6 Lighting call out sheet.

My SV has the lights on as soon as you turn the key on and I'd like to make it like the FZ6.

Also I think they keep the lights on through the keyed switch in the case you use the kill switch to stop the motor. Probably the logic being if the bike is down in the dark and you hit the kill switch if the key is on the bike is still lights on for other traffic.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was just referring to the fact that it looks like a lot of the power for the whole bike runs through the key switch, rather than just using the key switch to trigger a single relay. Then again, I've had the ignition switch from my old XJ apart, and the contacts were nice, beefy copper, so it should be all good.

If you want to add that feature to your SV, it should be pretty simple to do. IIRC, the old Maxim just uses a latching relay, I think it's triggered by the alternator output or something... I know it's not as fancy as the FZ6 system, because it'll latch if the engine sputters and dies, even if it didn't totally start.

I just have this "directly switched bad, relays good" mentality, probably because the first car I ever had was a Beetle. Nothing like running your starter from the battery in your back seat, up through the ignition switch, and then back to the motor behind the battery. Oh well, I can use the double-87 relay to power a set of Supertones now! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was just referring to the fact that it looks like a lot of the power for the whole bike runs through the key switch, rather than just using the key switch to trigger a single relay. Then again, I've had the ignition switch from my old XJ apart, and the contacts were nice, beefy copper, so it should be all good.

If you want to add that feature to your SV, it should be pretty simple to do. IIRC, the old Maxim just uses a latching relay, I think it's triggered by the alternator output or something... I know it's not as fancy as the FZ6 system, because it'll latch if the engine sputters and dies, even if it didn't totally start.

I just have this "directly switched bad, relays good" mentality, probably because the first car I ever had was a Beetle. Nothing like running your starter from the battery in your back seat, up through the ignition switch, and then back to the motor behind the battery. Oh well, I can use the double-87 relay to power a set of Supertones now! :D

Yes, Well that latch is actually a good thing if the motor dies cuz it will in fact act like the FZ6. Key off to unlatch. Pretty simple to latch. You could pull and rectify off the stator for the latch signal......
Yeah I worked on plenty of veedubs and I never appreciated some of the electrical engineering even in later models. The Old Bugs were funny!
Gotta hit the sack. See you tomorrow...:D