Yamaha's "RingFree" fuel additive-SHOCK treatment mix %

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've mentioned previously about Yamaha's "RingFree" which is a fuel system cleaner and top end cleaner.

It is NOT a fuel stabilizer.

It's very popular in the marine world. I use it in all my gas powered machines. IMO, an excellent product:

I was told incorrectly the wrong mix for a shock treatment by Yamaha headquarters.

Another member here brought to my attention (he found it- under the spec's section, on-line)
the PROPER AMOUNT for shock treatment.

Normal use is 1 oz / 10 gallons.

SHOCK USE is 2 oz / 1 gallon with changing the oil afterwards.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So you'd use roughly 10oz in a full tank, run the tank down to near empty, then change the oil?

Yep.

With that said, I've been using it since 2009, and did recently do that % of shock treatment.

My oil stayed visibly clean (IE, the top end was apparently pretty clean), so I did not change my oil.

I've since went back to the normal operating amount.

But yes, its recommended to change the oil (I gather as carbon deposits will come loose and make their way into the oil)..

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
as some of you know I've been having a rough idle issue. I just put some Ring Free in the Tank, 8oz of it as I wanted to do a shock treatment.
I bought the Bike about a month ago and its a 2008 and had 400 miles on it. It ran good for the first 50miles, but then it started to idle a little rough and it started to get progressively worse.
I've raise my RPM to about 1500 to help with the issue while I get it resolved.
The bike now has 1300 miles on it
Anyway after about driving 40 miles with Ring Free no noticeable improvement at idle, however it does seems a bit smoother up top :p

If after this fuel tank there are no improvements at all I will change the oil and plugs and see if that helps....

I'll keep you guys posted!!

Thanks - Luigi

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can safely (so you don't stall) lower the idle some, I would try that.

IF there an idle orifice that's clogged up causing the rough low RPM running, you want to try and get
the cleaner in those orifices.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
as some of you know I've been having a rough idle issue. I just put some Ring Free in the Tank, 8oz of it as I wanted to do a shock treatment.
I bought the Bike about a month ago and its a 2008 and had 400 miles on it. It ran good for the first 50miles, but then it started to idle a little rough and it started to get progressively worse.
Anyway after about driving 40 miles with Ring Free no noticeable improvement at idle, however it does seems a bit smoother up top :p

If after this fuel tank there are no improvements at all I will change the oil and plugs and see if that helps....

Thanks - Luigi

Next time the tank is empty use a flashlight to look inside for rust and debris. 400 miles isn't even broken in yet....

Rust from the tank is not going to remove itself with a chemical treatment exiting through the injectors so I would be looking iniside to help you make an informed decision going forward. i.e. remove tank and pump for proper cleaning or see if its something else...

Have you replaced ALL of the fluids? Coolant, Brakes, fork oil?

You might start a new thread if this product doesn't resolve your issues... good luck.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He's PM'ed me and the bike runs great. It'll try to lift the front wheel on hard acceleration. Top end is fine.

Just a 2-300 RPM variation while idling, per watching / listening to his video

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I called Yamaha dealer and they said it was not necessary to change any of the fluids other than oil change. I've now put about 70miles and no improvement. When I first start the bike it idles great.. It just when it warms up the issue starts. No rust anywhere that I can see or find on the bike period. Rest of the week weather looks good so I'll be riding and finishing up all the gas by Friday for sure... Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Scott, since you mentioned to lower the idle, which I was not able to do yet, I've been letting the bike idle a couple of minutes more here and there and I think I may be starting to see an improvement. I think my RPM jumped a bit to around 1600 RPM, so when I get home tonight I should be able to lower that down a bit around 1400. It still idles a bit rough but I am hopping it is getting better. I have another 4 OZ of RF and may run another 2 gallons if it starts to get better.

Thank you

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I called Yamaha dealer and they said it was not necessary to change any of the fluids other than oil change. I've now put about 70miles and no improvement. When I first start the bike it idles great.. It just when it warms up the issue starts. No rust anywhere that I can see or find on the bike period. Rest of the week weather looks good so I'll be riding and finishing up all the gas by Friday for sure... Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Hopefully you are saying this as you bought the vehicle from them and they changed the fluids before selling it to you, not because all the fluids were new in 2008 and have been absorbing water and degrading ever since....

Glycol based brake fluid from 2008 (if true) is only 6+ years overdue....

So, which is it? New in the last year or new as of 2008?

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully you are saying this as you bought the vehicle from them and they changed the fluids before selling it to you, not because all the fluids were new in 2008 and have been absorbing water and degrading ever since....

Glycol based brake fluid from 2008 (if true) is only 6+ years overdue....

So, which is it? New in the last year or new as of 2008?

no liquids other than oil have been replaced.

The bike was bought new in 2013 from Yamaha but it is a 2008 fz6 model year, it was a left over.
I bought it this August 2016 and the guy who I bought it from did nothing to it since he had it.
The only thing I did was:
Lubricated and adjusted chain
Oil Change with Motul 10w 40 non synthetic to finish break in.

things I plan on doing this or next month
Change plugs to iridium plugs
change stator cover since its a little scuffed up

Last edited:

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Added the rest of the RF in there with 2 more gallons of gas. Unfortunately I do not think the RF is going to fix my issue. I really hope the plugs will, if not its going to the dealer for a valuation of what they think its going on. I will keep you guys posted. Thank you all again for the advises.

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks - Luigi

Tank rust has flaked and caught itself in your fuel pump filter.

Need to clean out the tank and fuel filter.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
the rough idling got very bad on the way home today. I did not think I would make it home at one point, then it cleared to how its been.. pretty bad but not horrible, however I had enough of it so I quickly changed the plugs, which i think looked pretty bad.
I'll upload a picture later. I installed the iridium plugs and I let it run for 5 minutes and I did not get any rough idling. Tomorrow will be the final test when I drive it to work... Thanks

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
here is the picture, how do they look? do you think this was the issue? The previous owner told me he forgot it idling one day and it ran out of gas... and killed the battery.. could it have caused the plugs to go bad?

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
To me the plugs appear a bit rich..
bike been running perfect today. I commute to work and it is about 30 miles each way, but it has been great to take off from a stop without the need to rev it past 2k rpms..
I can now crawl in first and 2nd gear without it hiccuping like crazy. So far the plugs are working, I added a bit more gas in it today trying to get the rest of the RF out so that I can do the Oil Change this week-end.

It also could be that iridium plugs just burn better? I do not know, but its been great thus far and I hope it continues :)