Yamaha TDM - bring it back to the US!

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of you may be familiar with, or know about, the Yamaha TDM. It was sold in the US from 1991-1992 as the TDM 850, but then discontinued due to poor sales. Back in the early 90’s the US market didn’t know what to do with a Euro-adventure bike though it was quite good; even by today’s standards.:Flash: It was much like a V-strom, but had an 850cc parallel twin with a 5 speed gearbox. It also had very good weather protection and adjustable suspension. Around 2001 it got a redesign and a larger 900cc motor and a six-speed box. Here are a few reviews.
Yamaha TDM900 Review
http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/yam_tdm900.htm
2002 Yamaha TDM 900 - Page 1
I truly think the US market would embrace the TDM if Yamaha were to bring it back again. For instance, we now have the following Euro-esque bikes in the ‘Adventure Touring’ category for sale in the US: Suzuki V-Strom, Aprilia Caponord, Kawasaki Versys, Triumph Tiger, Ducati Multistrada, and the Yamaha FZ6 (even though it got discontinued this year) and the Honda Deaueville. I genuinely think the TDM has a chance - call Yamaha USA and tell them WE WANT THE TDM BACK! Here's the number (800) 962-7926:cheer:
I am very serious when I say...please call them! If you have read anything about the Kawasaki Versys, you know that when Kawasaki designed it, it was a Euro-only bike that was never intended for US sale....but so many people emailed and called Kawasaki USA, they decided to bring it over here due to the demand. Call Yamaha USA at (800) 962-7926 and voice your opinion. The more bikes of this type we see, the more competitive the market will get and the better the bikes will become. Call Yamaha USA this week and tell them you want the TDM back in the USA!:rockon:
-Skeezix

Last edited:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
your link is broken, but I do agree, with a bit of a make over it would be a great bike.

it's actually still on the 2010 menu in europe..
2010 Yamaha TDM900/A - sports riding spirit, long-distance touring, everyday comfort

Link fixed. Sorry about that. I tried really hard to make sure everything worked the first time. Yes, the TDM seems like a great bike. Many of the guys who currently own the '91-'92 models love them and don't want to sell! Call Yamaha and tell them you want to see it back here in the USA. If Yamaha waits too many more years, the adventure touring market might get so saturated that they won't consider bringing it over.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Link fixed. Sorry about that. I tried really hard to make sure everything worked the first time. Yes, the TDM seems like a great bike. Many of the guys who currently own the '91-'92 models love them and don't want to sell! Call Yamaha and tell them you want to see it back here in the USA. If Yamaha waits too many more years, the adventure touring market might get so saturated that they won't consider bringing it over.
I'd love to call em, but I don't live in the US lol, good luck on the attempt tho ;)

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
You're lucky...you can prolly buy the TDM and FZ6 in the Netherlands. I had a friend that traveled to your county last year. He loved it so much he now wants to move there! He said it was a very welcoming place.

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly don't think Yamaha USA "gets it" or listens to what their customers want (Kawasaki actually held customer clinics with owners of the new Concours to see what improvements its owners wanted - ever see that from Yamaha??). They have failed to bring in numerous bikes that I think would have been big sellers here (anyone remember the TRX 850? Same engine as the TDM in a Ducati-style trellis frame - just Wiki TRX 850). Had they brought that one in back in the 90's I'd have been camped out at the dealership. And how many years did it take to get the FZ6 here, and then look what they did to it - I mean, who the heck asked for the FZ6 to be castrated, emasculated and turned into a beginners bike with stupid bodywork like the FZ6R - what current FZ6 owner would ever downgrade to that?? Maybe if they had just asked current FZ6 owners what they wanted ... (hint to Yamaha - the 2010 Suzuki V-strom 650 Touring is WAY closer to what I'll be buying next than any FZ6R will ever be).

jZ

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my father in laws TDM is 12 years old and is still as srtong as when new..i have the privelige of riding this whenever i want and its great.

its got soft suspension but the initial mount i can bearly flat foot (im 6'8" whith a 37" inside leg) but once on its the most comfortable bike ive ever been on it pulls like a train and the paralel twin sounds sweet too

DSC00385.jpg

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe if they had just asked current FZ6 owners what they wanted ... (hint to Yamaha - the 2010 Suzuki V-strom 650 Touring is WAY closer to what I'll be buying next than any FZ6R will ever be).

jZ

When i had my last two suzukis ,both were bought new and therefore i i was on "the database" both times i was sent a questionare about my likes, dislikes and what i would like to see in future models...When i owned my DRZsm i even had an email back from suzuki UK's R&D deparment on an enquiry regarding the introduction of FI the the future DRZ range.

In these hard times t cant be arrogance on yamahas part but do they really have thier finger on the pulse, 2009 saw the new R1 and Vmax ..2 bikes that are not exactly in Mr Average disposable income range..so thaycompensate this with the FZ6R..a bike that had soo much potential.

Yamaha do need to start asking the right questions in the right parts of the world :spank:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly don't think Yamaha USA "gets it" or listens to what their customers want (Kawasaki actually held customer clinics with owners of the new Concours to see what improvements its owners wanted - ever see that from Yamaha??). They have failed to bring in numerous bikes that I think would have been big sellers here (anyone remember the TRX 850? Same engine as the TDM in a Ducati-style trellis frame - just Wiki TRX 850). Had they brought that one in back in the 90's I'd have been camped out at the dealership. And how many years did it take to get the FZ6 here, and then look what they did to it - I mean, who the heck asked for the FZ6 to be castrated, emasculated and turned into a beginners bike with stupid bodywork like the FZ6R - what current FZ6 owner would ever downgrade to that?? Maybe if they had just asked current FZ6 owners what they wanted ... (hint to Yamaha - the 2010 Suzuki V-strom 650 Touring is WAY closer to what I'll be buying next than any FZ6R will ever be).

jZ

Wow dude...you are totally on the right page! What you said about Yamaha 'getting it' is also VERY true of Honda. I feel the same way about the TRX850. It was a sweet bike. I have no doubt it would have been a great seller in the US. Plus, it would have also given Ducati cold sweats, and made them engineer better bikes. See how this thing works? It feeds off each other. If one brand keeps bringing great bikes to market in the USA other brands either have to follow suit or risk losing market share and therefore money. But, if all the companies get together and wholly decide not to bring the cream of the crop over here…they all benefit. I think that’s called a cartel. Anyway I also agree with you about the FZ6R. I looked at one at my local dealership and the sales guy was actually embarrassed that Yamaha made it. He used to own an FZ6, but traded to an FZ-1. He told me he was really hopeful that the FZ6 would get redesigned and be better than ever. When the FZ6 got replaced by the FZ6R, he really lost faith in Yamaha USA. Make sure you call Yamaha USA and tell them you want to see the TDM brought here, and maybe even the TRX850 resurrected!

PS – I’m holding my breath about the FZ8. That bike will either bring me back to Yamaha, or turn me off forever. They just don’t offer the best products in the US anymore.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
the TDM is and was a great bike I know a couple guys that had them and they really miss them alot. The adventure bike market is really a lot larger in the US then most of the bike builder think. I hope they put the new Super Tenere up for sale in the US it's an 1100cc parallel twin

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why, but I absolutely love the TDM. From its looks to the engine, that bike is one of my dream bikes. Too bad we don't get it in Canada, infact I have never seen a single TDM.

As for the comment about Yamaha US and Canada with regards to customers, the FZ6R was actually influenced by the customer questionaire. Many people wanted a full faired easier to ride bike, and my local dealer even agreed with people and put in their input to Yamaha because they figured the FZ6R would sell better then the FZ6, and sadly it has. Just shows how stupid many people are when it comes to motorcycle decisions.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The more i think about it the more i believe it should be the US and Canada that should get all the models including the all the varients. Where else can you find the amount of geographic,climatic and fashion (syle,trend setting etc) diversity .North America on paper should be the perfect testing ground even down to the logistics.

Of course Europe has all this too..but over 20 different countries

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TDM is really popular here in Oz , they are highly Underrated bike , they handle like a dream and plenty of arm streching grunt to match :thumbup:.... Massive fun factor that can do anything , all day , everyday :rockon: , but we get all the cool bike down here in Oz like the might XJR :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that Yamaha US fully gets it, euro style bikes don't sell well in the US unless it is a specific brand; Duc, BMW, etc. We have two primary markets, cruisers and sportbikes. The "standard" simply doesn't sell in the US because bikes are toys here, not tools.

To compound the problem the economy will limit offerings from the big Japanese companies. They remember the '80s well a don't want to make that mistake again. Suzuki isn't even selling 2010 models in the US as there are plenty of '09s to be sold.

Last edited:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that Yamaha US fully gets it, euro style bikes don't sell well in the US unless it is a specific brand; Duc, BMW, etc. We have two primary markets, cruisers and sportbikes. The "standard" simply doesn't sell in the US because bikes are toys here, not tools.

To compound the problem the economy will limit offerings from the big Japanese companies. They remember the '80s well a don't want to make that mistake again. Suzuki isn't even selling 2010 models in the US as there are plenty of '09s to be sold.

I will respectfully disagree about the euro style bikes. I think a lot of it depends on the geographic location. For instance, I see almost zero Tigers, Multistradas, V-stroms, and Versys in the Houston area. However, when I head to Austin, and the Hill country area I always see many of these types of bikes. They are a mix or Japanese brands as well as Euro brands, but we really only have two Jap 'euro' bikes to choose from: V-strom and Versys. The FZ6 fits in there to a point. I think that if more Japanese brands were to offer this type of bike people would buy them. After all, not many people can afford a $12,000 Tiger or a $18,000 Multistrada.

I wasn't aware that Suzuki wasn't selling 2010 models. Interesting. You are correct about Japanese companies in the 80's. However, by bringing the TDM here, Yamaha isn't 'diving head-first' like they did in 1991 when the first TDMs were sold here. There are enough of these types of bikes selling in the US for Yamaha to do its homework this time around. Also, the TDM could be a lower production number model for the first few years to see how it sells - similar to the V-Max but not to that extent. Actually, that is what Honda has been doing with the Varadero in Canada. They are only offering it though 30% of dealerships to see how well it sells.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
the TDM is and was a great bike I know a couple guys that had them and they really miss them alot. The adventure bike market is really a lot larger in the US then most of the bike builder think. I hope they put the new Super Tenere up for sale in the US it's an 1100cc parallel twin

Those are both great bikes. Isn't the Super Tenere like the Honda African Twin? Call Yamaha USA this week and tell them you want BOTH bikes to be sold in the US!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, the TDM could be a lower production number model for the first few years to see how it sells.

What do you think?

There is no outlay for development etc as the bike is already in production..i may be simplifying things way too much here ,but surley its only a case of loading up a container ship,and allocate X amount to the specific regions where sales potential is highest

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no outlay for development etc as the bike is already in production..i may be simplifying things way too much here ,but surley its only a case of loading up a container ship,and allocate X amount to the specific regions where sales potential is highest

You're basically right. It's way, way, WAY easier to get a Euro bike to the US than a Euro car. The only thing that matters for a bike, are the emissions. Damn enviromental protection agency! But even the emissions aren't that big of a deal these days. Yamaha may have to engineer a more powerful catalyzer for the exhaust system but that's all. Plus, with the way the world is going, they will have to do that in a few years anyway.

When you really stop and think about it, without regard to marketing, it's quite suprising why more of the 'Euro' bikes aren't sold here. There are plenty of models from the European market that would do well here: point in case - the Yamaha MT-01. That bike is AWESOME! If sold in the US, it would give the Suzuki M109R a real run for it's money. Not to mention giving Ducati Monster engineers the cold sweats!:spank: Hell, the MT-01 SP even has Ohlins suspension! No other Japanese manufacturer in the US offers that!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will respectfully disagree about the euro style bikes. I think a lot of it depends on the geographic location. For instance, I see almost zero Tigers, Multistradas, V-stroms, and Versys in the Houston area. However, when I head to Austin, and the Hill country area I always see many of these types of bikes. They are a mix or Japanese brands as well as Euro brands, but we really only have two Jap 'euro' bikes to choose from: V-strom and Versys. The FZ6 fits in there to a point. I think that if more Japanese brands were to offer this type of bike people would buy them. After all, not many people can afford a $12,000 Tiger or a $18,000 Multistrada.

I wasn't aware that Suzuki wasn't selling 2010 models. Interesting. You are correct about Japanese companies in the 80's. However, by bringing the TDM here, Yamaha isn't 'diving head-first' like they did in 1991 when the first TDMs were sold here. There are enough of these types of bikes selling in the US for Yamaha to do its homework this time around. Also, the TDM could be a lower production number model for the first few years to see how it sells - similar to the V-Max but not to that extent. Actually, that is what Honda has been doing with the Varadero in Canada. They are only offering it though 30% of dealerships to see how well it sells.

What do you think?

But if there is such a great demand for them, aside from this thread, why aren't they currently being offered? The Big 4 do in depth marketing studies and that market isn't in the US. In Europe, yes, they've been "adventure", Paris-Dakar nuts for 30 years. Not so much in the US; its all cruiser, all day, all the time. Heck HD has something like 50% of the US market, that sums it up right there.