"Yamaha really missed the mark with the FZ6"

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
No, no, those aren't my words...

So I was at a big bike dealer by my house just looking at some of the newer bikes that have come out (looking to get another comfortable sporty ~600cc bike for my wife) and started talking to one of the salesmen. I told him what I was interested in and he showed me all the bikes that fit into that category (SV650, Ninja 650R, Gladius, etc). Now as he was suggesting and showing me all these bikes, I noticed he didn't mention the FZ6 (I didn't tell him I already had one).

To see what he'd say, I asked him, "Wouldn't an FZ6 fit into this category, and if so, what do you think about it?"

His reply was, "At the 600cc point, the twins are much better. Yamaha really missed the mark with the FZ6. The FZ6 was made to compete in a segment where it doesn't really belong. Since you have a smaller displacement (600cc vs 1000cc), the twin engines make up for it by giving more torque in the low to mid range. Throwing an inline-four engine just takes away so much power. The only way to make up that power is to rev the crap out of it. It makes sense having an inline-four in the bigger displacement bikes (over 1000cc), because they make up the power loss with the bigger engine. The FZ6 shoots itself in the foot twice... not only does it have a lower displacement engine, but it also cuts the power again by making it a four cylinder. If you're looking at the 600cc bikes, a twin is the only thing I would go with."

Now I understand what he's talking about in regards to the power loss in the lower rpms, but he took his point pretty far. He really made it seem like the FZ6 is an inferior machine compared to the other bikes. If I was an uneducated first-time buyer, I would totally steer clear of an FZ6 after how he talked about it. Just upsets me that people are being pulled away from such a great bike... because I've heard people say that about the FZ6 (but not quite to that extent). And what else gets me is that every "motorcycle shootout" that I read online from professional magazines and such almost always have the FZ6 come out on top. And anytime I've read people's responses to the "650R vs SV650 vs FZ6" threads (here and on other forums), ironically people always say, "Get the FZ6 it has much more power" lol.

Anyway, thought I'd share the story with you guys. Also, this place has tons of bikes from all the manufactures. They actually had several FZ6's in stock, so it wasn't like a small Honda shop that only wanted me to buy a Honda.

PS... I love my FZ6! :thumbup:

-Taso

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Well he is right about the low end torque but we all know what a nice machine the 6 really is. He is just giving you HIS opinion. Did you bring up the good points about the FZ? Smooth tranny, better brakes and just a heck of a lot of fun above 8K.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
IMHO the beauty of the fz6 is it's an all rounder.

Not as powerful, fast, big, torquey, as many other bikes, bit it wraps everything together so well.

I always get back to the centre stand, simple, and certainly not a "bling" item, but i use it daily.

Why are more riders not looking for an "all round bike to own for a long time"? They seem stuck on performance ... that's it.

Having said that, the fazer kicks the boxer cup all the way back to germany, so it's hardly slow (?)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The local yamaha salesman tried to steer me towards the 650r(which is a single isn't it?) and other 600 bikes, saying he didn't like the FZ6.
Let's just say I didn't buy my bike from them.

The FZ6 is a bike that only a certain group of people can understand. And we're lucky to be in that gorup.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
awww... no offence but your bike dealer is a clearly doesnt know crap about bikes :) obviously he grew up with 2000cc harleys and other un-efficient motorcycles... and hes just trying to sell you what he wants to sell.

point 1: who said high revs are bad

point 2: the yamaha TDM900cc has 86HP(2 cylinder) the Suzuki Vstrom 1000cc(2 cylinder) has 96HP, and the FZ6 600cc(4 cylinder) has 98HP... what do you think is the best configuration?

point 3: the low torque of the low RPMS of the FZ6 is just a matter of comparison with other motorcycles... i recon that any bike that that can break the speed limit in 2.8 seconds is strong enough in the low range...

point 4:CBR600,YZF600,ZX600R,GSX600,Hornet600,GSR600,FZ6 are the strongest and fastest bikes in the 600cc range and considerably stronger and faster than most 2 cylinder bikes with 50%+ more displacement. 2 cylinder bikes are just narrower and simpler to manufacture and maintain.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a SV650S And a FZ6. The stock FZ is twice the bike compared to a stock SV650. As a matter of fact I would say that the stock SV650 is actually unsafe to ride if you weigh in over 120 pounds.
In order to turn that bike into something you have rebuild its entire suspension. When that is sorted out and the bike will actually perform it still has less power than the FZ6.
I like the SVs power curve in that it is basically linear but I absolutley love the FZs power band.
The FZ6 is an all around winner (like you guys did'nt know that) in that it has a great setup.
But at the end of the day it all comes down to ones opinion though I have a feeling that the salesman was either getting better margins from Suzuki and Kawi or had never actually been on a FZ6.

Yamaspeed

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
point 4:CBR600,YZF600,ZX600R,GSX600,Hornet600,GSR600,FZ6 are the strongest and fastest bikes in the 600cc range and considerably stronger and faster than most 2 cylinder bikes with 50%+ more displacement. 2 cylinder bikes are just narrower and simpler to manufacture and maintain.

I was just going to say, did you ask him why, then the R6 and GSXR600 are some of the fastest, most popular bikes on the market? Incredibly more so than the FZ OR SV. I would call the shop's sales manager and let them know the kind of idiot they hired, because if that were me, I would probably never buy a bike from them, as they obviously don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Honestly, there is probably more mark-up on those other models than on the FZ, and therefore he gets a better commission. Sad that he would do this, but in these economic times, very likely.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
That dealer sales pitch sounds like a regurgitated 5-year old magazine article about the bike. I have never ridden an earlier model FZ6 (pre-closed loop fuel injection) or one of the 650 Kawi twins, but find my 2008 to be an excellent bike with plenty of power, really the only improvement would be to have a better stock fork (cartridge style)...but the OEM setup is not too bad really for street and sport-touring type riding.

One thing that really drew me to this bike was the HIGH quality look/feel of everything (welds, controls, instruments, gearbox, etc. etc.) plus the feel of the "****pit"....just what I was looking for. :cheer:

I agree the guy probably had sales incentives on the other brands, otherwise why would he not at least present the FZ6 if they had them in stock...?

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Keira and Yamaspeed nailed it. More profit margin on the other bikes. I've become a haunt of some of my local dealers. I hang out and BS with them for hours. They've openly admitted they get better profits on the Kawi's and many times the Suzuki's as compared to Yamaha and Honda. I can't begin to tell anyone how much I love the FZ6. I know, get a room...

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is an very intersting statement. When I was shopping I was looking at similar bikes, SV, ZZR, etc. The sales dude said, "You'll be bored with the other bikes, the FZ is technologically much better." Great, give me the blue one.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no i agree with the profit margin thing... im sure thats one of the main drivers for sales people... and besides.. who says you "have" to rev it high to get going.. i kinda liek the fact aht anything under say 7-8k, you have a nice, easy going bike. it'll still pull away from any car on a light, and I would say that its very reasonable to stay in a lower rpm range and get going and ride.. but for those times where you want to give it some more, you can and it will respond in kind.. almost like having 2 different bikes (low speed vs high speed)... cant say the same about a p-twin.. sure its got lowend, but what about top end.. i would say that the fz6 is almost the perfect bike.. at least the perfect bike for what i want...

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
All I have to say until you get on FZ6, all your thoughts and speculations will change real quick. With the amount of power, handling and pure enjoyment, and especially the price you cannot beat it. I have done tons and tons of research before I got mine fizzer, and boy am I glad I bought it. FZ6 is the closest you get get to super sport bikes with a whole lot more comfort.
And yes I also love mine FZ6 (aka Blue Hornet) ... and don't laugh at mine fizzer's name. She is blue and does look like a hornet from the front
... :rockon:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I don't understand all that garbage about the FZ6 being an inline four. It's a V-twin motor.

At least, that's what the seventeen year old sales drone at Woods Fun Center told me.

I think we should put my sales drone and your sales drone in a room together and videotape the ensuing argument.

Fred

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
in fact the low power is kind of a selling point if you ask me (low rpm power that is) as for a newer rider would HAVE to TRY to get stupid on it. but for those with a lil' more time or those that want to play and know how you can let it sing and enjoy, but the low rpm power is also kinda nice around town, makes it harder to "get away" from a noob and as a noob's skills get better there is still PLENTY bike left to learn on.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, the FZ6 was a hard bike to beat. The combination of sporty handling, more than adequate power, and day to day practicality make it the perfect bike in my eyes.

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a point of comparisson on how powerful profit margins can be... pontiac was the third largest selling brand for GMC but because their profit was so small per car it was the first brand to get the axe

It doesn't always follow but we can hope that smaller profit margins mean better value for the consumer... so you should always by the bike that they don't want to sell you :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what a tool bag.... does he also think that the new 130+hp R6 is a slug too because it is a smaller displacement I-4 Engine? I have said it before and i will say it again... I hate Sales guys....

the dealer i go to has people that sell bikes, but no sales people... I personally would have turned and walked away with simply informing him that the FZ puts 90 HP and 43 Lbs of torque to the wheel while the SV only puts down 69HP (Actual dyno numbers between My FZ and Keira's SV).

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I find this thread interesting. My 17 year old son has two years of riding street bikes under his belt. Not a lot, so I don't expect him to over evaluate any bike. He goes by feel and his personal perception. He has been riding his Ninja 250 and my FZ6. As I write this he has my FZ6 with him right now at school. Well, he had the opportunity to ride a new Ninja 650 last Sunday. He went out and was gone riding it for about thirty minutes by himself. He later said he pushed it a bit to see what it could do. It was his Aunt's bike, so I told him not to mention that to her! :rolleyes: I haven't had the opportunity to ride it, so I asked him what he thought. He said that the FZ6 seemed to him to be a much more powerful bike. He said the FZ6 felt stronger to him in both the low rpm range and especially in the high. He was going by perception alone, but sometimes the "truth comes from the mouth of babies" ( I think that is how the saying goes.).
btw my son is 5'11" and weighs 125 pounds.