Yamaha Oil Filter

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, When my first oil change came about, i purchased the yamaha oil filter....just to notice that it is made by denso. The same company that makes the mazda filters as well as others that fit various applications. Seeings how i work for a dealership, i crossed the yamaha number to a mazda number of B6Y1-14-302-9A. This filter is a bit heavier, contructed better than the yamaha one. SAME SIZE, BETTER FILTER.

:thumbup: Just in case anybody can or wants to get a filter cheaper than the yamaha dealership.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a yamaha one as well , About $20,going with K&N next time,found a dealer just around the corner from work.They are easier to get off .

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Skip the Yamaha filter, get a Purolator PureOne, i forget the actual number, it's on the forum somewhere. Better filter, $5 or so at most auto parts stores.

Pure One filter = PL 14612 for the OEM replacement or PL14610 for the larger one.

H

HavBlue

The first thing I am gong to ask is why it is a better filter? Does it filter at a level beyond that of the Yamaha filter? Is the element constructed of a material that is better than that of the Yamaha filter? Granted, they may both be made by Denso but without knowing the specs on the individual filter it's tuff to say one is any better than the other.

jetfz'r

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a thread with a list of filters that fit:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/204-oil-filters-will-fit.html

I just did my 4000 mile service and put the Mobil 1-110 filter on, it is a little longer and will be easier to get off than the Yamaha filter. I know it shows not needing a filter change at the 4000 mile service, but I bought the bike used and just went ahead and replaced it with the oil change.

Zebratounge

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ask this before without any replies. Why does the 07 & 08 use a different filter than the 06 and earlier?
The pure one everyone recommends has a bypass valve.
the filter for the 07 and 08 is a different filter without a bypass.
look it up on the K&N site. Autozone has them for $15

H

HavBlue

I have ask this before without any replies. Why does the 07 & 08 use a different filter than the 06 and earlier?

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I don't run a bypass filter on the bikes because I change the oil well under any reasonable time frame (1,500 miles) and it's never allowed to get anywhere near dirty enough to need the bypass in the first place.

W

wrightme43

I dont get what your asking man.

The bypass valve is a wonderful idea. If the filter becomes so cloged that there is a pressure drop across it exceeding if I remember right 8-12lbs of pressure it opens and keeps oil flowing to the engine.

Nonbypass filters can starve a engine for oil. Giving the choice between unfiltered oil, and no oil, I will choose unfiltered oil.

Is this what you were asking. If not let me know.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Purolator 14610 is about $5 at Pepboys and is blue, similar shade as the 06 blue. They have been known to make some of the better oil filters and are inexpensive and easily found at almost any autoparts store. I did use the K&N once, but it is truly overpriced for what it is.

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing I am gong to ask is why it is a better filter? Does it filter at a level beyond that of the Yamaha filter? Is the element constructed of a material that is better than that of the Yamaha filter? Granted, they may both be made by Denso but without knowing the specs on the individual filter it's tuff to say one is any better than the other.

The yamaha filter is constructed differently than the mazda one. The mazda one has a better filter construction, a metal internal screen to keep the filter from crushing, better oring seal, anti drain back valve. :thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know much about oil or oil filters...I use the pure 1 mentioned above and my bike still runs *shrug* I was using the Yami one before that.

I change the oil well under any reasonable time frame (1,500 miles) and it's never allowed to get anywhere near dirty enough to need the bypass in the first place.

You change your oil at 1,500 but have never changed the brake fluid on your 2004 because doing so would be a "waste of time and money"???? :confused:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The yamaha filter is constructed differently than the mazda one. The mazda one has a better filter construction, a metal internal screen to keep the filter from crushing, better oring seal, anti drain back valve. :thumbup:

When I cut apart my OEM Yamaha filter I was shocked. It had paper end caps (like Fram), really thin fragile media material (and not much of it), and no bypass spring. It practically fell apart in my hands. I think there are much better made filters out there for much less money, IMHO. Unfortunately I have no pics, but there are plenty on R6 forums.

Zebratounge

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont get what your asking man.

The bypass valve is a wonderful idea. If the filter becomes so cloged that there is a pressure drop across it exceeding if I remember right 8-12lbs of pressure it opens and keeps oil flowing to the engine.

Nonbypass filters can starve a engine for oil. Giving the choice between unfiltered oil, and no oil, I will choose unfiltered oil.

Is this what you were asking. If not let me know.

I was asking if anyone knew why Yamaha changed the filter in 07

There must be a reason.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I was asking if anyone knew why Yamaha changed the filter in 07

There must be a reason.

Good question.

Yes there is a change in ELEMENT ASSY, OIL CLEANER sku's. The '06 SKU is listed as 5GH-13440-10-00 and '07 SKU is listed as 5GH-13440-20-00.

I'll have to pay attention to see which one the dealership is giving me. They both, I'm sure look the same... they both probably are the same. :don'tknow:

It would be useful if Yamaha would post what the SKU numbers mean.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I serviced both the oil and filter today, after the removal of old filter I noticed my dealership gave me a Yamaha Oil filter SKU of 5GH-13440-00 and not . As you can see by the photos the 00 is longer and has more filter area than the 20. The parts manual asks for the 20, I wonder if there is any difference other than size? Is it possible the shorter filter has no bypass built in. I'll have to figure a way to open the new 5GH-13440-20 filter up and verify. Yet another mystery... does our bike then have built in bypass if the filter does not have it?

I'm also thinking I need to find another dealer if he cannot get the right part when asked. I shouldn't have to double check his PN's and I don't care for the "well we have this in stock" small business mentality. I should have taken it back and asked for the correct filter but... the larger filter element is appealing. :)

Update: Just called Yamaha's Customer Relations and spoke with a Jeff. He tells me the filter is compatible and that the last two digits are nothing more than revision numbers. The important thing is that the first eight match up. He was not able to explain what revisions were made.

So again I must open the new and later the old and see the internal difference.

Last edited:

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
You really want to use a Yamaha Filter, might as well use a fram.

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Yamaha OEM

" This Denso-made filter has paper endcaps! The bypass valve, shown on top of the filter element in the photo, is glued in place. The filter element itself is very strange, with the pleats opening concentrically into radial channels, as opposed to facing the circumference as most filters. The element itself is so large that it was almost difficult to get out of the can. This filter shares common cross-references with Honda.

Because of the paper endcaps, I lump this filter with the Fram: unacceptable."

yamahaopen.jpg

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site

" This Denso-made filter has paper endcaps! The bypass valve, shown on top of the filter element in the photo, is glued in place. The filter element itself is very strange, with the pleats opening concentrically into radial channels, as opposed to facing the circumference as most filters. The element itself is so large that it was almost difficult to get out of the can. This filter shares common cross-references with Honda.

yamahaopen.jpg
I had 3 Kawasaki filters left from when I had a Vulcan 1600. It was a perfect fit.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is what mine looked like. If you cut the weird paper element apart, there really is not that much there. I was very surprised at how cheap it was.