Yamaha FZ6 (S2): One year ownership review

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
After a year I really like this bike. I've learned, and continue to learn a lot on it. I've only put 3000 miles on it. Mostly commuting. Only a few distance rides so far ~200 miles max.

• Cheap to buy, outstanding value
  • Great gauges
  • Plenty of power
  • Good looks
  • Great bike to learn to be smooth on
  • Versatility, very practical
  • Adaptable- loads of mods and accessories
  • Parts are available and mostly cheap
  • Low and easy maintenance
  • Great brakes
  • Great handling
  • Great mpg, good sized tank for range
  • Fairly light. Definitely not porky.
  • Has a great forum!

Dislikes:
  • 600cc engine character
  • Ergonomics (stock handlebar, limited gear lever adjustment)
  • Exhaust note

My top tips for fizzer riders:
#1. One size does not fit all. Setup the controls for you. Switch bars, get risers, adjust bar and lever angles- do what you need to do to control the bike comfortably for you. Don't be too quick to replace the stock levers. They're great, as I found out when I put them back on.

#2. Suspension. If the bike isn't happy on the road, its rider will never be. Take the time to adjust the suspension. Use the right springs for your weight and fresh fork oil.

Read the service manual and what Yamaha says it needs before dumping 15W oil in there. In my experience 15W is way too heavy. Better yet, use viscosity (CST) to pick out your oil.

You might find my thread helpful even if you don't change springs.

The above apply to any bike, but obviously I didn't have all that experience when I got it.

Final thoughts:
A great bike, amazing value. It's a bit tricky to master (R6 derived engine) but once setup and the rider is used to it, it's very rewarding.

icrk78PjHFtXx.JPG

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
What don't you like about the 600? Is it the displacement or the fact it's an I-4?

Definitely different characteristics between engine setups. I4's pretty fun to get screaming but I've found the right sized twin provides more real world power. Both fun engines ;)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
What don't you like about the 600? Is it the displacement or the fact it's an I-4?

Definitely different characteristics between engine setups. I4's pretty fun to get screaming but I've found the right sized twin provides more real world power. Both fun engines ;)

For the street, I find the engine too busy. Under even mild to moderate acceleration, it howls like it should be on a race track (funny that ;)).

To me, the engine sounds faster than you're actually going, like a 250cc on steroids. Makes it harder for me to relax on the street and in the corners.

On the highway, though, the motor is great. Smooth sailing.

The above may say more about me than it does the bike. Different strokes and all that.. :D

mdnitro

Reaction score
Visit site
-600cc engine character
-Ergonomics (stock handlebar, limited gear lever adjustment)
-Exhaust note

Imo, nothing's wrong with the typical inline 4 600cc, especially the one Yamaha uses in our S2. It's by far still the quickest compared with any other sport touring bikes in its class including some with larger displacement. Our S2 engine is great for daily commute and comes to live when you roll the throttle up and beyond 8000rpm. I would definitely wishes that the 1-2 gear shifting could be slightly smoother but I kinda took care of that with an awesome music to my ears Leo Vince EVO II. Plus, if you can swap front suspension from an R6 for adjust ability and added an Ohlins steering damper and Ohlins adjustable rear shock, you got yourself a very serious sport touring bike. Btw, I like your Shad top box rack, excellent quality and sleek style compared to givi but somewhat tricky to install if anyone who follow that stupid instruction. ;)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
-600cc engine character
-Ergonomics (stock handlebar, limited gear lever adjustment)
-Exhaust note

Imo, nothing's wrong with the typical inline 4 600cc, especially the one Yamaha uses in our S2. It's by far still the quickest compared with any other sport touring bikes in its class including some with larger displacement. Our S2 engine is great for daily commute and comes to live when you roll the throttle up and beyond 8000rpm. I would definitely wishes that the 1-2 gear shifting could be slightly smoother but I kinda took care of that with an awesome music to my ears Leo Vince EVO II. Plus, if you can swap front suspension from an R6 for adjust ability and added an Ohlins steering damper and Ohlins adjustable rear shock, you got yourself a very serious sport touring bike. Btw, I like your Shad top box rack, excellent quality and sleek style compared to givi but somewhat tricky to install if anyone who follow that stupid instruction. ;)

I find the character of the motor a bit racy and you'd suggest louder cans, r6 forks, ohlins shock and a steering damper? Maybe I'll come around after a few drinks, but for now, I disagree. :D

mdnitro

Reaction score
Visit site
The motor in our S2 is a sport bike's motor, so why is it that you disagreed to have proper suspension setup that will allow you to adjust according to your weight and riding style (one size does not fit all). Also, a steering damper is by far one of the most important safety add-on to any bikes. Don't believe me, simply go to any dealers and look at most bike over 10g. Too bad that I can't lend you my bike for a spin, otherwise you would feel the differences of riding a properly set up machine with great sound vs. the stock that sounded like a sewing machine, no pun intended. ;)

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
To me, the engine sounds faster than you're actually going, like a 250cc on steroids. Makes it harder for me to relax on the street and in the corners.

What!? You gotta get out of your head, man! Spending so much time up there isn't good for your health.

People of all different sizes ride stock FZ6s with no ergonomic issues. If you start looking for faults, you're bound to find them because the perfect bike doesn't exist. Sometimes you just have to be happy with "good enough" and focus on enjoying the ride rather than finding the optimal bar height and angle for your right wrist.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you were right on. You should always adjust the bars, levers, and pegs to what's comfortable for you. What blocky said is like getting in a car after a 6'11" dude gets out, and have him say "Deal with it, they made it like that." Things like that are/should be adjustable for this very reason.

The stock FZ6 suspension is cheap, but was set up to be comfortable on the street. SS shocks have all kinds of adjustments which is awesome, but they're usually not adjustable to all that soft. They're designed for track riding. So with some progressive lowering springs, and proper fork oil weight, the FZ6 suspension is fine for the street.

And well, I4s are rev happy. I like it. You're on your own on that one. Part of it is learning to keep your revs up. You'll like the bike better and it'll be smoother if you do. But if you don't like it, Ducati makes L2 engines that aren't as rev happy and for 3-4k miles a year the maintenance isn't too bad at all. Suzuki makes V2 engines. And any cruiser is a V2. Aprillia makes some nice V4 engines (RSV4) but I gather you don't want a supersport, and V4 engines can be just as rev happy. My VFR800 redlined at 12500.

And I've never needed a steering dampener. They're just to keep the headshake down to a reasonable level when you get after it in a turn. If you're riding that hard, you should be on a track.

Last edited:

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you were right on. You should always adjust the bars, levers, and pegs to what's comfortable for you. What blocky said is like getting in a car after a 6'11" dude gets out, and have him say "Deal with it, they made it like that." Things like that are/should be adjustable for this very reason.

Except a motorcycle isn't a car, and the fact that you need to use a 7' tall person as an example shows how poor that analogy is.

I bought my FZ6 from someone 6"-7" shorter than me and I'm perfectly comfortable even on non-stop 3 hour trips.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with most of your likes, except for the "great mpg" bit.

IMHO a 600 cc that isn't a supersport getting mid 40's on the highway isn't all that impressive. My 1635 CC cruiser gets 45-50 mpg all day long in any kind of riding.

As for the Revvy 600 CC...I like it. I enjoy the fact that I can keep the revs low and ride around like a sane sport touring rider or I can wring it out and look & sound like a squid! :BLAA:

Basically the engine has 2 sides to it...the mild mannered and the crazy b*tch side! with a V-twin you have tons of low and mid-range power but when the power dies off toward redline it's kinda like blue balls for the engine lover...all that fun at first with no climax!

mdnitro

Reaction score
Visit site

The stock FZ6 suspension is cheap, but was set up to be comfortable on the street. SS shocks have all kinds of adjustments which is awesome, but they're usually not adjustable to all that soft. They're designed for track riding. So with some progressive lowering springs, and proper fork oil weight, the FZ6 suspension is fine for the street.

And well, I4s are rev happy. I like it. You're on your own on that one. Part of it is learning to keep your revs up. You'll like the bike better and it'll be smoother if you do. But if you don't like it, Ducati makes L2 engines that aren't as rev happy and for 3-4k miles a year the maintenance isn't too bad at all. Suzuki makes V2 engines. And any cruiser is a V2. Aprillia makes some nice V4 engines (RSV4) but I gather you don't want a supersport, and V4 engines can be just as rev happy. My VFR800 redlined at 12500.

And I've never needed a steering dampener. They're just to keep the headshake down to a reasonable level when you get after it in a turn. If you're riding that hard, you should be on a track.

Here is a little bit suspension 101 for you as I really don't have time to discuss this any further. Btw, it's NOT the softness and or stiffness like an off road bikes but the overall balance of the bike when you corner, stop (diving), acceleration and last but not least comfort to both you and your passenger. Please have a look, I'm sure if you have ever ridden a bike with proper suspension adjusted you won't think this way otherwise. Furthermore, in regarding to the steering damper/stabilizer add-on, I truly think that all bikes should have one equipped right from the manufacture. It's NOT because of high speed that you've mentioned would causes the head shake and or tank slap, but the angle of which your bike came out from a turn and slightly off balance, that is when the bike will react and sometime in a very violent way. A good quality steering damper such as Ohlins can cost an upward of $700 and if it can save me from an ambulance ride to ER one time, imo it's worth every penny. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAWLaLf1Awc

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting replies. The FZ6 has a loyal and defensive following. :BLAA:

I'm still toying with the idea of buying a V2, but part of my brain is screaming "don't buy Italian".

Reasoning out my expectations of my next bike, the Sprint ST triple is probably the best all-rounder and most sensible choice. Some even have ABS in the States! How did that get smuggled in? :confused::D

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I just want to say a 600 inline 4 doesn't have to be a peak monster our bikes use basically a race engine. If you ever get to ride a Honda 600 Hornet you would see what a great all around street engine a small I4 can be.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a little bit suspension 101 for you as I really don't have time to discuss this any further. Btw, it's NOT the softness and or stiffness like an off road bikes but the overall balance of the bike when you corner, stop (diving), acceleration and last but not least comfort to both you and your passenger. Please have a look, I'm sure if you have ever ridden a bike with proper suspension adjusted you won't think this way otherwise. Furthermore, in regarding to the steering damper/stabilizer add-on, I truly think that all bikes should have one equipped right from the manufacture. It's NOT because of high speed that you've mentioned would causes the head shake and or tank slap, but the angle of which your bike came out from a turn and slightly off balance, that is when the bike will react and sometime in a very violent way. A good quality steering damper such as Ohlins can cost an upward of $700 and if it can save me from an ambulance ride to ER one time, imo it's worth every penny. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAWLaLf1Awc

I would have to disagree with this. I have read some interesting articles on steering dampers and i have found that the only bikes that have them out the factory are the ones that dont have the "best" chassis. They say a bike with a fantastic chassis does not need one

Now i have raced my FZ6 both track and road, and have not found the need for a damper at all. i only find tank slap an issue when at WOT and you hit bad tarmac or a bump in the road ( this always tends to be on the road never track ) with confidence and skill this is still not a problem

i am not saying i am a fantastic racer or even road rider i am sure there are loads better but i believe that you are no where near needing a damper even on a spirited ride. so save your self some money and get some top notch rubber :thumbup:

mdnitro

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to disagree with this. I have read some interesting articles on steering dampers and i have found that the only bikes that have them out the factory are the ones that dont have the "best" chassis. They say a bike with a fantastic chassis does not need one

Now i have raced my FZ6 both track and road, and have not found the need for a damper at all. i only find tank slap an issue when at WOT and you hit bad tarmac or a bump in the road ( this always tends to be on the road never track ) with confidence and skill this is still not a problem

i am not saying i am a fantastic racer or even road rider i am sure there are loads better but i believe that you are no where near needing a damper even on a spirited ride. so save your self some money and get some top notch rubber :thumbup:

Please define a fantastic chassis, our bikes' center of gravity is alot higher that say all the ss bike out there. Suspension are basically (BASIC), yet our S2 model (Not your 04) pump out nearly 100hp compare to a low down, well balance (suspension wise), better brakes RR600/R6/GSXR 600/ZX-6R with 20 or so ponies more have all the advantage such as traction control, adjustable suspension, slipper clutch, steering damper (built-in) etc. Btw, I don't want to beat on the dead horse, but it seem to me that there're still a lot of folks out there, are simply do not think outside the box or simply cannot effort to do anything other than to accept the basic set up of there cheap bike and happy with just that. Oh, should I also suggest a more comfortable Cobin or Sargent seats for the S2 or 04 FZ6 ! Maybe next time. :thumbup:

njdevils1990

Reaction score
Visit site
I will have to agree with you on the steering damper, out of personal experience. If I had installed one on my first bike ('03 xb9r) I wouldn't have road rash on my shoulder and still would be riding my xb. Now before anyone goes off, I will admit a few faults at the time. I was new to riding and decided to go on a spirited ride that day. Basically was going too fast over a hilly road and at the top of the hill the front end got light and bam, tank slapper. The bike I bought after ('09 1125cr) my first, immediate purchase was the damper. So as for me at least, I am a strong believer in them, and when I finally buy a fz6 I'm sure it will be my first purchase.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you should check your profile, Darius. I have a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, not the 2007 Honda FZ6 listed in your profile. Silly, isn't it? You should at least recognize the bike you're on.

FWIW, I rode dirt bikes and dual sport bikes on and off over a 45 year period. The FZ6 is my first real road bike. It's definitely not a sport bike, and wasn't meant to be. But for the money, it's certainly more bike than I ever expected. It plays the "song" I like whenever I get going down a country road at 7m or 8m revs, and twist it wide open to pass someone. I don't even get a chance to watch the tachometer, I just hang on and let the beast run. I like it!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you should check your profile, Darius. I have a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, not the 2007 Honda FZ6 listed in your profile. Silly, isn't it? You should at least recognize the bike you're on.

Perhaps you should tell others what to do a little less. Honda is in jest due to Yamaha's legal attack on this forum.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FWIW, I rode dirt bikes and dual sport bikes on and off over a 45 year period. The FZ6 is my first real road bike. It's definitely not a sport bike, and wasn't meant to be. But for the money, it's certainly more bike than I ever expected. It plays the "song" I like whenever I get going down a country road at 7m or 8m revs, and twist it wide open to pass someone. I don't even get a chance to watch the tachometer, I just hang on and let the beast run. I like it!

Ya, your gonna have to do some reading to get to bottom line on the Honda branding FZ
picture.php

Apparently I was MIA a year ago when this thread came to life. IMO the little 600 is a very good all purpose bike suiting the needs of many with its multi-personalities!

I fully agree that all bikes need adjusted to fit us the rider. It was manufactured as a "cookie cutter" having all the same contact points but we the rider are all different so it stands to reason that we need to "change the bike" to FIT us! It could be as minor as a bar swap or something more. Then there is the intended purpose. Mine will never be a touring bike and I don't want it to be one. I want it to behave when its leaned over and act in favor of my inputs. At the moment it's very compliant and does this well. Granted the suspension has been changed substantially from its release but the fact is, had I invested twice as much I would still be making the same adjustments. So IMO this entry level bike suits my needs well with some refinements. As it stands now the suspension is dialed into my liking with R6 forks and R1 rear shock so I'm pretty happy!

As for the engine - I love having it in the upper RPM's, its entertaining and exciting especially in the corners! :thumbup:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, your gonna have to do some reading to get to bottom line on the Honda branding FZ
picture.php

Apparently I was MIA a year ago when this thread came to life. IMO the little 600 is a very good all purpose bike suiting the needs of many with its multi-personalities!

I fully agree that all bikes need adjusted to fit us the rider. It was manufactured as a "cookie cutter" having all the same contact points but we the rider are all different so it stands to reason that we need to "change the bike" to FIT us! It could be as minor as a bar swap or something more. Then there is the intended purpose. Mine will never be a touring bike and I don't want it to be one. I want it to behave when its leaned over and act in favor of my inputs. At the moment it's very compliant and does this well. Granted the suspension has been changed substantially from its release but the fact is, had I invested twice as much I would still be making the same adjustments. So IMO this entry level bike suits my needs well with some refinements. As it stands now the suspension is dialed into my liking with R6 forks and R1 rear shock so I'm pretty happy!

As for the engine - I love having it in the upper RPM's, its entertaining and exciting especially in the corners! :thumbup:

Couldn't agree more. The FZ6 is a great bike especially in terms of bang for the buck. It can be modified to take it more to sport or to the touring side.

Since this old thread I've further customized the bike to suit myself:

• OSO2k's brackets have resolved the awkward shifter angle for me
  • Renthal Road Medium Bars (previously tried FZ1 w/ risers)
  • Drilled the cans. The deeper exhaust note is much nicer when riding- less of a high pitched wail to my ears. Doesn't even seem louder.

Biggest problem right now is I need more miles on it!