Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) - worth getting?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When buying a brand new 2007 FZ6 from dealer is it worth getting the Yamaha Extended Service? Please advise whether I should get it now or later?

Cheers.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on how much they are selling it for. It all depends on the dealership, how much more money they can get out you. My roomate bought an '07 R6 with the extended service. He hasn't used it yet. He's had the bike almost 5 months now, and only has 600 miles. I guess it all depends on how much you want to get your hands dirty. Motorcycle maintenance can be relatively cheap if you do it yourself, and very expensive if you let the dealership service your bike. It's not like cars. The first oil change by the dealership for most of us charged around $200. If you do it yourself, it can cost as little as $35. Most of us at least changes the oil and filter ourselves. There is a great thread on how to change your oil, which oil and filter to use too.

H

HavBlue

When buying a brand new 2007 FZ6 from dealer is it worth getting the Yamaha Extended Service? Please advise whether I should get it now or later?

Cheers.

When I purchased mine in 2004 the bike was a first year model. They sold the EW at 480.00 or 10.00 a month for the 4 years. I purchased it and have never needed it because the bike has been that dang good.

Last edited by a moderator:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i had a warranty on my last bike and put 34000 miles on it in the first 3 years and never used the warranty. I changed all my own oil, changed me own brakes, and have a buddy that changes my tires for free. so the only thing that i might consider is the warranty that covers maintenance if they offer that. But you can probably get by without if you are mechanically inclined.

That being said, if it gives you the sense of security that "IF" something were to happen after a year (original warranty) you will be all set, then go for it, but i put about 14k miles a year on the bike and think that any defects will probably show themselves in the first year.

W

wrightme43

I have it, I have a 07 with 13100 miles on it since April. I doubt I will use it, and that it was probley a waste of money, but if it does break after april 08 but before april 2010 I will be covered. Is it worth it? I dont know yet. I dont normally buy extended warr, but I also dont normally buy things that spin at 14,000 rpm either.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
opted out on the Y.E.S., both my riding buddies did the same and they've had their bikes for a while now without any hitch. I'm hoping for the same. I did however purchased the wheel protection plan, seeing that it gets abused the most.

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't bother buying it. They try to make you feel like if you don't buy it at the time of purchasing a bike then you are out of luck. Not True. You have until the end of your 1st year of the factory warranty. Even then they may be a little lenient in allowing you to purchase.

If you get through your first year without any probs? Then don't bother. On the other hand, if you ended up with a lemon? By all means pick it up.

Oh by the way, I'm new here and had not the time to introduce myself as of yet. Hi!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input

I have had my bike now for about 2 weeks now. I did not buy my extended warranty because from the sounds of it, the bike does not have a need for it. Anyway, I did opt out on getting a Lo-Jack installed on the bike for about $1000 on top of the $6100. One way or another, dealers sure know how to stack up those figures. Now I plan on doing the service when the first 600 miles hit my odometer.