WTB 5SL R6 Cams

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I'm after a set of yamaha 2003-2005 R6 cams.

They would need to be in good condition with no scoring or damage.

Located in the UK.

Let me know what you have

Thanks

Dominic

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you, after the swap, I would use as a high grade oil as possible under your budget. Whenever parts have been run in one motor, they create the correct tolerances with respect to the other parts in that engine. When you then swap those parts into a different engine, all of those parts (cam lobes, buckets, valves) all need to recreate their tolerances with respect to one another. You'll probably not see too much metal because there won't be all that much wear with just a cam swap, but there are 16 total valves and buckets to re-wear. My recommendation would be to treat the period after the swap sort of like a break-in period and change the oil after 500-1000 miles. Once that's done, go hog wild from then on.

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you, after the swap, I would use as a high grade oil as possible under your budget. Whenever parts have been run in one motor, they create the correct tolerances with respect to the other parts in that engine. When you then swap those parts into a different engine, all of those parts (cam lobes, buckets, valves) all need to recreate their tolerances with respect to one another. You'll probably not see too much metal because there won't be all that much wear with just a cam swap, but there are 16 total valves and buckets to re-wear. My recommendation would be to treat the period after the swap sort of like a break-in period and change the oil after 500-1000 miles. Once that's done, go hog wild from then on.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of just buying a complete head and swapping it all over.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
If you fit a complete R6 head, one of the engine mounting point to the frame wouldn't fit i guess. The engine-frame bolt on the upper left side when you sit on the bike.

I have still got a pair of cam shafts laying around.
Here is the exhaust cam close up picture.
Journals have some wear also.

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you ever going to put them in, or am I the guinea pig lol?

So the ebay ones are good to go you reckon? I think they look like the best of a bad bunch.

I messaged the seller, he couldn't tell me what mileage the bike had done but it was low mileage as he was swapping the cams for race cams to race the bike.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
:) Waiting for more feedback to put them in. :Flip:
Ebay ones seem better than mine in the picture.

I also have a pair of aftermarket adjustable cam sprockets to advance the intake by the way.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess, exhaust cam profiles are the same for both R6 and FZ6 except their weight and material. Just intake cam profiles are different.

Some more close up pictures with variable cam sprockets

cam_003.jpg

cam_006.jpg

cam_007.jpg

cam_010.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess, exhaust cam profiles are the same for both R6 and FZ6 except their weight and material. Just intake cam profiles are different.

Some more close up pictures with variable cam sprockets

Ahw - just go for it! ^^ :thumbup:

As for the head - IIRC the bare head has the same PN well depending on the year. Thus, it should fit but I could be mistaken. It was a while ago I looked it up.

As I mentioned before, if it weren't for the fact that no one would buy the bike when done, I'd be tempted to throw the R6 ECU in there if you have the cam and valve cover. Just a step away from Coil Over Plug (COP), and more options with ignition advance as the ECU has more features for fueling and timing. The big issue is the transmission gear ratio's are not the same. I'm not sure what the OEM R6 ECU would think of that! Im sure its easier to grab an R6 than mutate an FZ at this level.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=16666]Marthy[/MENTION]
Any thoughts on wear induced from swapping cams from one head to another? Did you have many followers tossing FZ cams into the FZ6R?

Personally I'm a little reluctant in our case as the Intake Spring set is different and I don't see a clear answer why (R6 into FZ6), but specific to "wear in" of mismatching used cams/buckets - any thoughts?

Thanks!

EDIT: [MENTION=25723]ChanceCoats123[/MENTION]

From your post above, take a look here: Read this: zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP), molydisulfide

Hence the reason modern engines are using Roller tappets/lifters/rockers etc.... Rollers have less shear friction and do no require this additives which kill CATs....
I could never get a straight answer from the makers of STP, but the old honey product is very high in ZDDP. I'm just not sure if its compatible with our clutch.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see any issues. I pound 25K miles on mine and when I swap them for back to stock (wife riding the 6R now) it looks the aame as when I put them in.

Not like the cam always rub on the same spot anyway... on paper when they grind the cams the top is a bit tapper to spin the buckets so it doesn't wear always at the same spot.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Marthy, i have some questions:

1.what do you think about the wear on this cam? Does it look ok to you?

cam_010.jpg

2.Did you pay attention for breaking in period when swapped cams and sprockets?

3.Did you use any diffenet lubricants on the cams at first ?

4.How can i adjust timing (+2 may be) with these variable sprockets? Can i do it before installing the cams ?

cam_003.jpg