Wrecked '07FZ6-Is it time to streetfighter?

RuskiMotorcycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All!

A few months ago y'all were very kind in welcoming me and giving me advice on how to handle my new FZ6. Unfortunately, it's now half of an FZ6.

The skinny of it is a pedestrian ran out in front me crossing a five lane road, and I was met with the classic "squirrel crossing the road" situation (except it was a human and not a squirrel), where there was a pause, a stutter, and a finished streak across the road, and it ended up with me wrecking the bike. I made peace with the situation, and now it's time to look forward.

The question is- is it worth converting it to a streetfighter? The damage is pretty bad and my funds are very limited. The whole right side is beat, with some of the more serious damage including the forks, the tank, some of the frame and smaller body pieces. Don't start me on fairings, cause those are completely done.

Costs, ability to do it myself, the fact that the bike is 23K miles (though it was in immaculate condition, 1 owner for nearly it's whole, life serviced every 3-4K miles).

Is it time to put the bike down? Will I regret making it a streetfighter? Is it a manageable task? Any and all suggestions help, it terms of being worth it, and if so, what my first steps are?

Thanks,
-Denis

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're worried about whether or not you'll like the streetfighter conversion, I would ask you how much highway riding you do. At low speeds, streetfight is WAY more fun than the stock half fairing. At highway speeds though, the buffeting from the wind can be a bit tiring after a while. I street fightered my bike from stock (not caused by an accident or anything) and I haven't looked back ever since. It's way too much fun to ride this way.

RuskiMotorcycle

Reaction score
Visit site

RuskiMotorcycle

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're worried about whether or not you'll like the streetfighter conversion, I would ask you how much highway riding you do. At low speeds, streetfight is WAY more fun than the stock half fairing. At highway speeds though, the buffeting from the wind can be a bit tiring after a while. I street fightered my bike from stock (not caused by an accident or anything) and I haven't looked back ever since. It's way too much fun to ride this way.

Good point. Unfortunately, a lot of Texas riding is on long, stretched out roads, so this might be something to consider. I don't live downtown or anything, so it's not simply city riding.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never ridden a naked FZ6, but I have a couple Street Triples which are completely naked. The wind feels better on the Triumphs below 70. Above 70 it starts to push on you. At 80 I find myself intentionally leaning into the wind. I don't mind this as it helps keep me out of trouble. :) If you're spending a lot of time above 70, I would advise against it.