Would you buy a fz6 new or used?

shingo

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 2 choice, either buy new or used

I can get a brand new 2009 FZ6 for 6999$ or a 2004 with 20000km for 4000$

Both price are not negotiated, do you think it's worth it to pay 3000$ more to get a brand new one?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
$7k was the MSRP in 2009 so that should come down some, and I paid $4200 out the door for an '08 with only 4200 miles.

Even after the conversion, those both seem a bit high. But new should still come with the 2-year factory warranty.

needtoridetheworld

Reaction score
Visit site
I am from Montreal and paid 7200$ for a 2008 fz6 brand new in april of 2009.It was listed in the canadian motorcyle buying guide at 9200$ in 2008 and the 2009 was listed as 9700$.I hope this will help you,in which area do you live?

Last edited:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Also just to consider, starting with the 07 model, the bike underwent a few changes. I know the front end, instrument cluster, and brakes were updated, along with a few other things. There is probably a thread with all the differences.

shingo

Reaction score
Visit site
I am from Montreal and paid 7200$ for a 2008 fz6 brand new in april of 2009.It was listed in the canadian motorcyle buying guide at 9200$ in 2008 and the 2009 was listed as 9700$.I hope this will help you,in which area to you live?

I'm from blainville, 20 km from montreal.

Even if the canadian $ and the american $ are equal the price of the motorcycle are often 20% higher around here.

I saw a lot of FZ6 for sales, the lowest price I saw was 4000$ and highest 8000$ the milage goes from 40000 to 5000.

I'l try to deal with the dealer to see if I can bring the price down to 6000$

I would really like to buy from the states, but it's not worth it for just 1k$-1.5k$ less. Cost of shipping will eat that alone.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
in general buy new if you intend to keep that bike for a while, otherwise buy used. But if you get a really great deal on used bike, get used. Every vehicle I have bought so far have been brand new. When you buy used you're inheriting someone else's problem.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both are way too much if those are USD prices. Canadian, I've no idea.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
First, you cannot compare US prices and Canadian prices due to import duties, taxes, markups, smaller market, etc. Those in the US really can't comment with any authority on Canadian prices unless they know the specifices of the Canadian market, which they don't. Second, I would not buy a 7 year old bike if I had a chance to buy a brand new, never ridden, updated new machine even if it was $3,000 more. Unless you are completely strapped for cash the extra money would be well spent, imo.

shingo

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back from the dealer, they won't drop 1$of the price and that price didn't include freight. The otd price come up to 8800 with taxes this price is in canadian.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 receives the following revisions (07-09)

* Optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping.
* Redesigned fairing and windscreen.
* New instrument cluster with analog tachometer and digital speedometer (similar to the FZ1).
* New four-piston monoblock brake calipers for the front brake.
* Alumite-finished front forks with revised damping.
* A 3-way catalytic converter.
* A new seat design.
* A new rear swingarm.
* New passenger pegs.
* Helmet Locks

Also, in 2006 the frame, engine, and swingarm were blacked out. Before that, it was all silver. First picture is 06. Second 07.

Last edited:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it all comes down to which one you like best in terms of looks and the prices you can get. This was my first bike, and I really didn't know much about bikes when I got it. I just went with what looks cool. I am happy with the 06 just fine, but if I would have looked into the model differences more, I may have tried to find an 07+ as I do like the looks and instrument cluster better. Plus better brakes are always good to have, even though you can always just upgrade an earlier version with steel brake lines to increase performance.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back from the dealer, they won't drop 1$of the price and that price didn't include freight. The otd price come up to 8800 with taxes this price is in canadian.

If they wont deal with you, then leave. Some times leaving your # with them and a offer, and telling them to call you when they WANT to sell the bike can work wonders, though it may take as much as a few months for them to come around.

When I got mine I flat out told them I wasn't paying, set up, shipping and all those other BS charges. The price of the bike dropped almost $900 in a matter of minutes. ( I was nicer than that though)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That dealer is getting a high price for a leftover bike. You are probably going to get a much better deal on a used bike and a private owner is likely to negotiate on price. Of the choices you have listed I would buy neither. I would look for a 2007-2009 bike on the used market. btw, no regrets on my 2006 but I got a steal price of $3200 with 2800 miles a year and a half ago.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
$7k was the MSRP in 2009 so that should come down some, and I paid $4200 out the door for an '08 with only 4200 miles.

Even after the conversion, those both seem a bit high. But new should still come with the 2-year factory warranty.

Yamaha upped the factory warranty to two years? Is that Canada only?