Worst MPG per litre ever.......

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
WOOOW!!! It`s a HUGE mpg! According to my modest calculations, when I convert it to our European stndart it makes: 117miles x 1.6 = 187.2 kilometers. That means your fuel consumtion is over 9 liters per 100km !!! That`s Enormous!
For example on my FZ6 with full throttle sport riding the consumption is max 5,5-6liters per 100km on highway cycle!!!
Have engine checked!!!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
In the twisties, with fairly fast pace, it can take me long enough, no complaints. But when I ride in the motorway, at high speeds, the fz6 seems to consume petrol like a freakin' Dodge Viper. If you constanlty use speeds of over 100mph, the 600 gets really hungry...

H

HavBlue

I gotta tell you folks I haven't a clue as to how you are coming up with these low figures in terms of mileage. I will however say this, if you miss the mark by as little as 2/10ths of a gallon (US) you will be off by as much as 4.5mpg in your calculation. If I am riding with a heavy wrist I will generally get around 180 miles from a load of fuel which works out to about 43mpg. In general riding which often goes both ways with the wrist I typically get between 190 and 200 miles from a load of fuel and this is roughly 46-47mpg. Last summer I took a day ride through some nice twisties on Kentucky 109 going over to Little Sturgis and went 234 miles on 4.3 gallons for 54 mpg but I was cruising with a Honda Goldwing. Using Elm's commute idea the other day I went 70 miles on 1.4 gallons for 50mpg. Again, I just can't figure out how you folks are managing to do this.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta tell you folks I haven't a clue as to how you are coming up with these low figures in terms of mileage. I will however say this, if you miss the mark by as little as 2/10ths of a gallon (US) you will be off by as much as 4.5mpg in your calculation. If I am riding with a heavy wrist I will generally get around 180 miles from a load of fuel which works out to about 43mpg. In general riding which often goes both ways with the wrist I typically get between 190 and 200 miles from a load of fuel and this is roughly 46-47mpg. Last summer I took a day ride through some nice twisties on Kentucky 109 going over to Little Sturgis and went 234 miles on 4.3 gallons for 54 mpg but I was cruising with a Honda Goldwing. Using Elm's commute idea the other day I went 70 miles on 1.4 gallons for 50mpg. Again, I just can't figure out how you folks are managing to do this.

Simple: Nothing below 8K RPMs for the entire tank. Gulp!!! Gone! ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Charlie,
I hear what you are saying. I was very close on the mark though as I had previously put in 17 litres and then put in another 17 litres when I got my really crappy mileage.
I think that it was down to lots of 3rd gear high revving as I did have quite a mad period and some excellent rides.
I have just had a 192 mile round trip. I put in 18 litres and got down to the last bar on the fuel gauge 33 miles from home 159 completed. I didn't want to risk it flashing on as I was entering a motorway (in the UK it is illegal to start a motorway journey with insufficient fuel to complete your trip or make the service stations) so I refuelled to the top of my filler and got 15 litres in. I think it is a given that there is 30 miles left on reserve so that would have put my 18 litres at 189 miles to the tank. I think that that is good as I was using mainly motorways and cruised at 70 - 90 mph.
Incidentally fully laden with soft luggage and back pack (on a clear road) I reached a Speedo reading of 153mph with out any bother, my sat nav gave an indicated speed of 142mph. (yes I know dangerous, public road ect. It was purley in the name of science, I wanted to assess the degree of speedo inacuracy at all rev ranges. Conclusion speedo inaccuracy increases the faster you go starting at a few mph out at 30mph to being 11mph out at speeds over 120mph. Truely officer I have no idea how fast I was really going)

Nelly

Ps Charlie you do the calculations as your much better than me at that sort of thing.

Y

yukon_alex

Hi guys n girls,
I have just got 116 miles to 17 litres before the last fuel cell started to flash, how crap is that?
I have been making the most of the dry warm roads recentley so that may explain it.
Whats your worst?

Nelly

Nelly: Are you a pilot? On my return trip to Whitehorse I did the last 208km travelling above 140km/h the whole time and I still only used 15.8l. And the low fuel light never did start to flash before I filled up. If I do the math that makes it 29.77 miles per US gallon. Not good but I thought I was flying until I read your post!

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:justkidding::justkidding:

Dear Neil

I feel I should remind you of the Fazer 6 interstellar regulations, which clearly state that your the said pilot should not exceed the Sol (3rd rock from the sun) warp core field of 70MPH in highway status. The obvious reason for this such stringent policy is that your craft will not be efficient and therefore warp coils will be degraded and your craft will fail to achieve terminal velocity to escape 1G.

Continued infringements, will mean that you will be forced to stay on Sol 3, with no hope of rescue.

Fazer command out!!

LOL LOL

:Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:justkidding::justkidding:

Dear Neil

I feel I should remind you of the Fazer 6 interstellar regulations, which clearly state that your the said pilot should not exceed the Sol (3rd rock from the sun) warp core field of 70MPH in highway status. The obvious reason for this such stringent policy is that your craft will not be efficient and therefore warp coils will be degraded and your craft will fail to achieve terminal velocity to escape 1G.

Continued infringements, will mean that you will be forced to stay on Sol 3, with no hope of rescue.

Fazer command out!!

LOL LOL

:Sport:
Thank you Mark,

Science experiment concluded. No more super warp speeds for me.

Nelly

ps that is impressive though for a laden bike, you have to admit that at least.

H

HavBlue

Hi Charlie,
I hear what you are saying. I was very close on the mark though as I had previously put in 17 litres and then put in another 17 litres when I got my really crappy mileage.
I think that it was down to lots of 3rd gear high revving as I did have quite a mad period and some excellent rides.
I have just had a 192 mile round trip. I put in 18 litres and got down to the last bar on the fuel gauge 33 miles from home 159 completed. I didn't want to risk it flashing on as I was entering a motorway (in the UK it is illegal to start a motorway journey with insufficient fuel to complete your trip or make the service stations) so I refuelled to the top of my filler and got 15 litres in. I think it is a given that there is 30 miles left on reserve so that would have put my 18 litres at 189 miles to the tank. I think that that is good as I was using mainly motorways and cruised at 70 - 90 mph.
Incidentally fully laden with soft luggage and back pack (on a clear road) I reached a Speedo reading of 153mph with out any bother, my sat nav gave an indicated speed of 142mph. (yes I know dangerous, public road ect. It was purley in the name of science, I wanted to assess the degree of speedo inacuracy at all rev ranges. Conclusion speedo inaccuracy increases the faster you go starting at a few mph out at 30mph to being 11mph out at speeds over 120mph. Truely officer I have no idea how fast I was really going)

Nelly

Ps Charlie you do the calculations as your much better than me at that sort of thing.

The only true way to determine fuel efficiency is with a fuel flow meter and a timer. The reason for this falls back on how the engine burns fuel and at what rate that fuel is burning. This thread interests me in that I am generally one of those that pull some high rpm yet my experience with fuel relative to miles on the road has been nowhere near that of you folks that, to put it mildly, are flat sucking fuel up at a rate that simply makes no sense at all. I understand the burn rate will increase exponentially as speed or rpm increases. I also understand this will also increase relative to the time of operation at any specific level. Other factors like gross weight, tire pressure, temperature, wind conditions and aerodynamic drag associated with the rider will all come into play with respect to the individual fuel run.

Engines burn fuel at a rate of pounds per hour which is commonly figured in miles per gallon or kilometers per hour depending on which system you use but the reality of it all is those systems are not very accurate. They are however the way gas mileage is common figured. Therefore, I would dearly love to get a Hobbs meter and a digital flow meter on one of these bikes that are sucking fuel up because this anomaly has me flat baffled.

When I am on the slab (freeway) I generally run around 7,200 to 7,500 with occasional runs in the 8,000 rpm range for periods of time. I have a very steady hand and pace myself well. Generally speaking these runs will be in the 140 mile range and typically I will get in the 45 to 48mpg realm. If I am running the back roads where I love to hotdog it that fuel mileage will drop to roughly 42 to 45mpg. For the bike to drop into the 30mpg range or worse yet, the 20mpg range I would literally be looking for a hole in my tank.

The one thing that concerns me here is the way the mileage is being arrived at. The Imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons and the liter (UK) is 4+ something where ours is 3.7.. I have the current belief the bikes will all get between a given figure on the low and a given figure on the high much like a Bell curve. Yes, some will be off scale low and off scale high but these can generally be thrown out and the percentages of those on either side should be extremely low. It just doesn’t make sense that this little 600cc bike should be sucking up fuel to the point the average land yacht does better in terms of mileage.

Charlie

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also baffled:confused: As after my last run it came back on song. I am doing a 140 mile trip on Thursday and Friday and will again se how I get on.
I am guessing that my poor consumption was due to excessive burn as I was really ragging it.

Nelly

H

HavBlue

I was also baffled:confused: As after my last run it came back on song. I am doing a 140 mile trip on Thursday and Friday and will again se how I get on.
I am guessing that my poor consumption was due to excessive burn as I was really ragging it.

Nelly

Neil, I agree the consumption rate will drop as you turn into Mr Hyde the throttle jock but the kind of drop you experienced is huge. Louisville Kentucky is about 120 miles north of me and last summer when the temp was around 100 degrees I ran up there and hooked up with a Corvette. We were running just above or just below 100mph all the way. I had to get fuel for the run home and still managed around 42mpg. try not to change that Mr. Hyde style and lets see what you come up with.

Good luck,
Charlie

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say that most of the part of my really bad mileage that time was due to being at WOT almost all the time. Had it been a mass air metered system it would have only metered the ammount of fuel that it needed for the air flow. But I had it set to lood nearly the whole way through 4th, 5th, and 6th... Compensating for load needed and RPM, then not trying to squeeze that extra mph out of the bike might have helped on fuel comsumption. I recently got a tank at 41mpg and that is with some twisty riding but still no hugely agressive riding.

Khyren

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just bought a FZ6-SA a couple of months ago, so I've been watching the fuel usage closely. On my last tank, I got roughly 48 mpg (imperial) or 5.9 l/100 km (metric).

I always fill the tank up to the brim whilst the bike is on the centre stand, and always use super unleaded (98 RON). The bike is completely stock at the moment, so it's easy to keep track of fuel consumption, i.e. remove all the variables apart from riding style (e.g. normal / aggressive).

I was watching for when the top bar on the fuel indicator disappeared, and it was at around 62 miles (100 km). However, after the last time I filled up, the top indicator bar disappeared at 45 miles. I didn't think I was riding more aggressively than on the last tank, so I'm stumped as to why this was the case.

I'm going to run the bike for a few more tanks just to get a good average mpg before I upgrade to NGK iridium sparks and K&N air filter, as I want to see if I notice any difference in fuel consumption.

To be honest, from what I've read on this site, I'm pretty happy with the current fuel consumption. Considering I'm a big lad and I'm riding the ABS model, that's more than fair.

One thing I always do, is warm up the engine for a minute before setting off. I think this makes a bit of a difference to fuel consumption for short rides. At least, it's certainly not as jerky in 1st and 2nd gear when I take off.

SkinTeck

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ6-SA couple months back aswell, and been writing up mileage & useage every time ive been tefilling... On my own FZ i got to these numbers:

(I dont drive so far that the gas-light would lit, but on the bar theres not much left where it shows amount of fuel..)

12.12 litres per refuel (thats 3.20 US Gallons)
225.8 kilometres per refuel (thats 140.30 miles)
and FZ is eating 5.37litres / 100km, thats 43.80mpg

Ive been watching the top bar dissapear too, sometimes i get to 140km, sometimes 50km, depends on how i use the throttle!

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have'nt gotten better than 25 mpg since my first service!! I can't ride my fizzer without wringing it out!! :rockon: :squid: :D

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
On this subject, can anyone confirm how much fuel is left in the tank (UK gallons / US gallons / litres... whatever) when the trip starts the low fuel count.

I think I'm right in saying the fuel capacity is 19.4 litres / 5.13 US gallons. So how much of this is 'reserve'?

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mines a nekkid.

Please don't ask me to convert it to Gallons & Miles on a sunny Aussie saturday, best run i've got is 370km on a full tank (and rode about 50km with the F-Trip metre running)

Worst I had to fill up after only 220km (and considering how I had been riding up to that point the tank would have been empty by 250km)

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On this subject, can anyone confirm how much fuel is left in the tank (UK gallons / US gallons / litres... whatever) when the trip starts the low fuel count.

I think I'm right in saying the fuel capacity is 19.4 litres / 5.13 US gallons. So how much of this is 'reserve'?

I normally fill up soon after the fuel trip meter starts, and generally fit about 16 litres in, so that leaves a good 3 - 3.5 litres in there.

I get about 320Km's to the fuel trip meter... normally works out to around 20 Kms per litre.

:rockon: