Woo! Shooting Guns!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got to go shooting again, (finally) and I did fairly well. I kept most shots from my Mosin in an 8" group at 50yds. Iron sights and that I don't practice with it much meant that was fairly good for me.

The real fun stuff was on the .22-250, .22 LR, and my 7mm-08. I kept all the .22-250 rounds to a 1.5" group at 100yds, and I found my 7mm-08 will shoot 2" groups all day long. Not amazing for most rifles, but good enough for southern deer country. Too many trees to get a much longer shot than 100yds. And the .22LR we all got 6" groups iron sights at 50yds.

I was really excited though, because that's the tightest groups I've ever shot. Considering I've only put maybe 200 rounds through a rifle tops in my life, that was pretty good. (I'm not counting mounted machine guns. I was a beast on the M240B and the .50 caliber mounted machine gun. You use tracer rounds on those though and ignore the sights generally.)

I'm mostly a shotgun and pistol guy. The family wanted to shoot pistols yesterday as well, and I blew a hole in the center of the target at 15 yards with only 22 rounds in 60 seconds with 2 mag swaps. Carrying a pistol for self defense (I truly hope the only thing I ever shoot at is paper), I make it a point to practice. And I shoot about 90% in singles and doubles for clays with the shotgun. I'm somewhere around 80% for triples.

And it bugs my father-in-law to no end that I close my eyes every time I shoot clays. He shoots competition clays and competes at the regional level. I outshoot him all the time. He had a new Benelli that he couldn't hit anything with. Swore up and down the gun was busted. I tried it, loaded 8 rounds and shot 10/10 with it in doubles and triples. First time I heard him cuss, actually. But I guess I just jerk the trigger the same way every time, so when I aim, close my eyes and jerk, it dusts the clays almost every time.

My favorite shot ever was when my father-in-law threw two clays low and fast. I dusted the first one and put the gun down because I thought I couldn't hit it. "You can't hit the second one" my father in law said. So I reshouldered, and took the shot and dusted the far one. It was pushing 100yds for that clay.

That's the day I learned that shot doesn't really spread out all that much actually. My FIL had to explain that one to me. :D He likes shooting with me, but he has to bring lots of beer so he doesn't get too mad. He hates my "natural eye", he calls it.

Anyway, any other shooters on here with good stories? Or hunting/shooting plans?

For people in the Jacksonville area, Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club (GPRC) is hosting an open entry level IDPA match. Cost is $15 for non-members plus the cost of ammo. Should be a 250 round match and registration starts at 0800. I'm going this weekend.

IDPA (Internation Defensive Pistol Association) does practial pistol competitions all over the world. A practial pistol course is a course designed to simulate real-life defensive senarios. IDPA matches require a defensive handgun, mildy modified (if at all) and a consealable holster you would use for an all day carry. They also require a power factor of over 120,000, but to simplify, any 9mm or up should be fine.

So bring your pea shooter and come on out this Sat! And share stories!
I'm glad you get to practice when your off work. Hopefully the work issue will change soon.
Personally I haven't shot anything for over 10 years (when the UK Gov banned everything).
I started shooting in Army cadets at 14. The best shot I did was hitting a POLO mint at 25 yards with a .22 (WWII converted lee enfield 303). What made it a good shot was because there were six other cadets who were going for it as well.
The drill Sgt had us strip the magazines, trigger and bolts. We then had to run the barrel through and clean it. To His satisfaction and re-assemble it. Once this was done the D'S gave you one round to hit the target.
I really enjoyed those days and I learned so much about range safety and respect for others. I am amazingly envious of people who have the freedom to practice this brilliant craft.
My goal is to join the National Rifle Center here in Ireland.

Nelly

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My goal is to join the National Rifle Center here in Ireland.

Nelly
Go do it Nelly :thumbup:

We had just about everything banned here in Oz after Martin Bryant went mental in Tassie.... :(

Im a member of the Sporting Shooters Association & my local range but thanks to gun laws the biggest we are allowed to have is 30-06 bolt action :(

I only have a .22 which is fun on the range when hitting small plaster targets at 100yards but when we head for the bush & hunt pests I borrow a .223 :drool:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Different guns like different lubes. I use the leftover Rotella T6 from filling the bike on the ARs and automatic pistols, my M500 and double barrel like moly grease, and the .357 revolver acts up without CLP or Rem oil.

Now for the Walther P1!

wp1.jpg

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It was a WWII gun. German, I think. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you anything.

I hate that countries ban guns. It doesn't take guns away from anyone but law abiding citizens. And at the end of the day, it removes citizens fundemental right to self-defense.

But I won't get on my soapbox about it. That's just how I feel.

Didn't get to go shooting in the pistol competiton last Saturday. My parents wound up staying in town an extra day and my dad wanted to play golf. So I did that. There's always next month. :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
DownrangeFuture I hate that countries ban guns. It doesn't take guns away from anyone but law abiding citizens. And at the end of the day said:
Thats one of the reasons why I love georgia, our gun laws are few and far between plus in a city just a few miles from me, Kennesaw Ga it is still a law that if you live in the city limits you have to own a firearm....how awsime is that for a gun law :D

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is beautiful :thumbup: Do you know any of the history behind it ??

I wrote up a pretty long paragraph a couple of days ago, but the power went out and lost everything.

The P-38 was the wartime sidearm. The P1 is similar, but has an alloy frame. They were carried by the Bundeswehr, the post-war German defense force. They've been phasing them out for something newer, so they've been popping up a lot lately. The ATF recently added them to the C&R list, so us license holders can get them shipped straight to our front door. :D

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been shooting guns since I was 4 with a BB gun and at 6 had a .22 single shot. I would not be considered the average kid as my Father was a gun nut and somewhat inappropriate when it came to dealing with kids and guns. I personally was always safe and respectful with my guns and never had an issue. I had a .22-250 at 15 that I would use to shot woodchucks at 300 yards in UP-STATE NY on my Grandfather's farm.

Today I don't owe a gun but want to get a Glock 19 9mm compact for self defense in Florida as a concealed weapon and target shooting. I go to the Air Force base (Macdill) near Tampa and shot skeet. I can rent a 12 GA for 4 dollars and bring my own skeet loads so I can't beat that.

As far as countries that make it difficult for citizens having weapons that is their business. I feel that a country where the citizens are armed would be a much harder country to invade and conquer compared to a country where the citizens have nothing to defend themselves. That was the case in Germany during the Nazi government period where they disarmed the citizens then rounded them up the undesirables for deportation to concentration camps. Who knows when one will be come an "undesirable" in the governments eyes. Best to hold on to our rights and be law biding armed citizens than become lambs to slaughter.