wont drop into 1st gear sometimes

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sometimes at stop lights shifting into 1st gear while braking or while stopped the bike wont get into first gear.

clutch is fully engaged, stomping on gear lever, gently pushing gear level, trying to jimmy the gear lever, even giving a touch of throttle (which my cousin said might help) and it still usually doesnt work.

most times its fine. This only happens sometimes. Then all of a sudden it changes its mind and lets me get into first.

anyone else experience this?

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a common problem on fz6... Just disengage the clutch and pull it back in and it should be fine!i know it's annoing... Try to finish downshifting while the bike is still moving!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a problem so much as a common characteristic with bike transmissions. My VFR 800, Suzuki SV650 and GSXR 750 used to do it. My FZ6 does it as well sometimes... Just roll the bike slightly forward or back and try again... I know you are new to riding and getting used to your FZ6... trust me though, your bike is fine so go out and ride it.....:)

H

HavBlue

The gear stack isn't lined up so it won't drop. Rather, with the gears heads up to one another you will have to either release the clutch a bit to move them or roll the bike a bit back or for and it should drop right in. Every bike I have every owned and a few stick cages have done this at one time or another.