Winter Gloves

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I Couldn't find my winter gloves yesterday and it was absolutley lashing with rain. In desperation I put on my sking gloves. I have to say they were excellent. Warm, waterproof and they even have a wiper blade on each thumb. Obviously they dont have the same level of abbrasion reistance. Apart from leather palms and underside of the fingers. I figured that with the amount of water on the road friction would be minimal (false logic).
What gloves are you using for the crappy winter and how good are they?
I normally use the claw.

Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd.

They are warm and waterproof, the only downside I have found with them is that; unless it is really cold your hands do overheat. This causes slight rucking up of the internal padding.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil,
those look pretty good but do you have enough feeling through those things? I have a good pair of thicker leather gloves, which are just OK down to aprox 0 degrees. At christmas my mum & Dad bought me a claw type glove made of goretex, very warm, but there was no protection on the backs of the fingers so I exchanged them for a good summer glove at the same shop.
My biggest problem is that my "winter gloves" have recently started letting water in (on long rides, more than 2 hours) whilst they were originally (5 years ago) water proof.
I have used my ski gloves several times for passengers, 2 up, when my brother comes over for example. They are very good, goretex with a good leather hand part but they are missing finger protection. I would temporarily use my ski gloves if I lost my others.
Well I'm still looking for a good cold winter glove but I am hoping to pick up a good pair at the Utrecht Motorbike show, last few days of January.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can honestly say that feeling isn't a problem. I was really dubious at first when the guy in the shop recomended them. Like any glove they felt a little strange but there are excellent. The claw bit allows you to feel the circulation warmth from your fingers. They only have gortex on the back so protection there isnt that great.

Neil

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife bought me some Alpinestar snowmobile gloves a couple years ago and they work great, waterproof and very warm as well.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate my winter gloves. They are Heine Gericke and are nice and warm but the extra thickness loses enough feel that I don't like them. I have just installed heated grips. I tried them recently with my summer gloves on a wet but cold day (not freezing). Was great for the 10 mile trip but, I think, after, say 20 miles I would have needed the winter gloves for the waterproofing and the thickness.

Winter gloves are a necessity but not nice

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Gerbing G3 are the answer. None of the winter gloves I tried are warm after about 20 minutes. the Gerbing are (because they are heated!). They have a waterproof membrane, but I've never worn them in the rain. I have a pair of Aerostich waterproof lobster overgloves that I am planning wear over the top if I get caught in a cold rainstorm

H

HavBlue

I have a pair of winter gloves I got from Harley that are leather gauntlet type with Gortex lining. I was out the other day at 31F ambient and my hands were quite nice in terms of warmth.

bcutter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey gang,
I've found that ski gloves with a small pouch on the back side, to put chemical warming packets, are the cat's meow:Flash:. Most snow ski gloves are fairly waterproof, and very windproof.
Just my $.02

Bill:thumbup:

Antonio Bandana

Reaction score
Visit site
I am wearing Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves. They're pretty good, but my fingers start feeling cold within 30-45 minutes if it's 40 degrees or below.

This is my second pair of winter gloves and neither has kept my hands warm for very long when exposed to the direct cold air blast on the grips.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What gloves are you using for the crappy winter and how good are they?
I normally use the claw.

Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd.

They are warm and waterproof, the only downside I have found with them is that; unless it is really cold your hands do overheat. This causes slight rucking up of the internal padding.

I was looking through my old magazines in the loft, I meant my motorbike ones;) and I come across an article from a year ago, testing winter gloves. Yours came out as "recommended", so it can't be all bad, it did comment that there were no protection in the fingers. The three fingered gloves performed the best in the cold but the richa ice storm (at twice the price) RICHA ICE STORM GLOVEwas close behind, but had total finger and hand protection.

One of the comments in the test was that you must ensure the rest of your torso is warm as your body will take heat from your hands to heat your vital organs.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some liners in November, but my winter gloves fit snuggly without liners and with it is just too rigid, when I bend my fingers it cuts off circulation to my fingers. I don't notice it immediately but after aprox 15 mins. Maybe I should try some larger gloves and see how this works.

One of the tips given in the glove test from last year was to use deep heat on your hands, but do be careful when you stop to go to the bathroom ;)