Riding in the cold - approaches

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of muffs did you get? I can tell you that they work very well with heated gloves. It really cuts out all of the windchill, but it will take a while to get use to using the throttle and controls. You can't use very bulky gloves if you use your mittens.

the 'Oxford BoneDry Essential Handlebar Black Muffs' is what I ordered. I see what you mean about bulky gloves... I used my usual pair which aren't too bad, the Held Airstream II (contemplated the A* summer gloves, but will try that later). This morning was not the best test... a little warmer (but windier as well), maybe 40 deg F. Nevertheless, it was a definite improvement. Could really feel the heated throttle-grips throwing out heat. A little odd finding my way around in there... left-thumb had issues naturally finding the turn-signal indicator... but I might have snugged it up too tight. I also see how you could lose half-a-step quickness if you needed to get your fingers off the grips and onto the clutch/brake lever in an emergency situation. With holiday vacation coming up, will give it a longer/colder test shortly, but with only 15-mins on it, I'm pleased.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I think it increases your time reaching for the controls in the event of an emergency, no matter how use you get to having them. So the point here is to make sure you don't ever get into those situations. Increasing your following distance and reducing your speed pays off big time riding in the winter. Please provide pics of the muffs when you get a chance.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I think it increases your time reaching for the controls in the event of an emergency, no matter how use you get to having them. So the point here is to make sure you don't ever get into those situations. Increasing your following distance and reducing your speed pays off big time riding in the winter. Please provide pics of the muffs when you get a chance.

Agreed - when in traffic, I kept my fingers on clutch and brake levers. Didn't get to see if the structure of the mugs could expand.

IMG_20161222_174145_01.jpg

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
the 'Oxford BoneDry Essential Handlebar Black Muffs' is what I ordered. I see what you mean about bulky gloves... I used my usual pair which aren't too bad, the Held Airstream II (contemplated the A* summer gloves, but will try that later). This morning was not the best test... a little warmer (but windier as well), maybe 40 deg F. Nevertheless, it was a definite improvement. Could really feel the heated throttle-grips throwing out heat. A little odd finding my way around in there... left-thumb had issues naturally finding the turn-signal indicator... but I might have snugged it up too tight. I also see how you could lose half-a-step quickness if you needed to get your fingers off the grips and onto the clutch/brake lever in an emergency situation. With holiday vacation coming up, will give it a longer/colder test shortly, but with only 15-mins on it, I'm pleased.

I know this is a year old but worth a shot from someone else in NE itching to ride...

How was the install and do you think you could ride with them without the heated grips? I have a solid 60 min minute commute with 40 of it on the freeways. I was able to commute up to mid December (before snow) this year before an injury forced me to stop riding. That has now healed and I am debating riding again or waiting another month or so.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. Good question whether w'out heated grips would it be ok.... not sure. Install is nothing, you can put them on/off in 30-45 seconds (some straps/velcro). I _will_ say, you have to be careful, as the right-hand side can run afoul of your kill switch, and move the rocker and thus shut you down while going down the road. To use on a regular basis, you might want to do some modding... but certainly doable.