Windscreen change

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
I know a lot of folks are debating changing or modding their windscreen. I bought my FZ6 with a chopped stock windscreen that looks great and is fine for short rides, but for long touring, the equiv of no windscreen just doesn't cut it. So I did the search and was unable to buy a Puig touring screen because no one had them in stock and couldn't get a date from Puig when they would be produced again. MRA-Vario doesn't make a screen for the 2004 bikes, and the laminar lip was a poor solution on the chopped windscreen I have.

So from a member here online I was able to pick up a factory stock yamaha touring screen! I'm totally pleased with the fit/finish of it, definitely fits "stock" however those stupid plastic screws that go into the well nuts were sort of thrashed so i coughed up the 2 bucks a screw and got 5 new ones to put on. I thought about going to metel screws and a nylon washer but given the vibration the screen gets I didn't want to end up with hairline cracks around the screen mounting if it was too tight/inflexible. so just went for stock nylon replacements.

Obviously moving from the cut to touring windscreen made a huge difference. My only complaint is that at 5' 10.5 my head is definitely in the wind "noise" zone now. If I hunch 2 inches it gets much quieter but not all that less "windy", and if I stand up 3 inches it gets quieter but my helemet is definitely up in the wind again. so I'm going to go one step further and add a MRA-vario adjustable lip to the yamaha touring screen and see if i can get the noise zone another 2-4 inches up above my head.

here are some pics (bad quality via phone in garage) to show the current difference, i'll update when the mra-screen comes and gets installed.

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I hope that you have better luck with that shield than I did. I tried the tall yamaha touring shield on my 2004 and it was horrible for me. Sure, it blocked some additional wind, but it created a HUGE amount of horrible buffeting which was so bad that I swear it almost created stability problems about 85mph.

I ended up selling that tall shield and going for the puig. Although it doesn't block as much, it works better than stock and looks a lot better than the tall yamaha shield.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason for plastic windscreen screws is so that if you crash into something and fly into it, the screws break and the screen flies away without it cutting you in half etc.

Useful fact of the week for ya! :BLAA:

dantrigg

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope that you have better luck with that shield than I did. I tried the tall yamaha touring shield on my 2004 and it was horrible for me. Sure, it blocked some additional wind, but it created a HUGE amount of horrible buffeting which was so bad that I swear it almost created stability problems about 85mph.

I ended up selling that tall shield and going for the puig. Although it doesn't block as much, it works better than stock and looks a lot better than the tall yamaha shield.

+1 on everything.

If you are not wearing ear plugs you should try them. Not only will they preserve your hearing they will eliminate the buffeting/booming noises from casued by the turbulent windscreen air. They must fit correctly and be replaced regularly because they wear out and become less effective after about a week. They are cheep though and you can't replace your hearing once it is gone.

Traf001

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put that same wind screen on my bike. I got it on eBay. I have noticed the wind noise increase during my commute so I got a pair of:

Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015WJQ66/ref=oss_prod]Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs (White with Blue…[/ame]

I'm doing a day trip tomorrow so I'll get to try out both the wind shield and the ear plugs.

P.S. I have the same seat (which I love)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
yep, agreed on plugging the ears, OEM touring screen on '07, pretty much
the same size/shape as the one your '04, howls bady, I'd be really hurting
at the end of a long ride if I didn't plug them, it is smoother than stock tho

pipnash

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted the MRA Vario screen made some difference but i wish I had read these posts before expecting that the new screen would make the wind noise that much better :banghead: Luckily I have ear plugs ;)

Ghost416

Reaction score
Visit site
hey there,

a bit off topic but i noticed the seat you have on your bike in the picture, what kind of a seat is that and where did you get it?? i have done a few long rides lately and the stock seat just isn't good enough anymore.....thanks

G

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
hey there,

a bit off topic but i noticed the seat you have on your bike in the picture, what kind of a seat is that and where did you get it?? i have done a few long rides lately and the stock seat just isn't good enough anymore.....thanks

G

I'm fairly certain that's a Top Saddlery seat, lots of info here on them

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site

you mean puig double bubble or puig touring screen?

is buffetting forces the riders' head to move?

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I'm just a weeeeee bit late on this reply.....

you mean puig double bubble or puig touring screen?

Neither. It was the tall Yamaha shield that was the worst.
Yamaha YAMAHA FZ6 TALL WINDSHIELD from FACTORY CYCLE

is buffeting forces the riders' head to move?

Yes, the buffeting was causing my head to move about. The tall Yamaha shield created all kinds of weird sensations when going over 90mph. It made the bike feel like it was shaking.