Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Go fly a kite

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Stay home and play with my kitten

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
H

HavBlue

Obviously, you have never experienced riding in the winds of Southern California when those Santa Ana winds start kicking in during the fall. The winds are so strong that the damn windmills that produce windpower shuts down.

There are two areas that come to mind where the Santa Ana winds can really be a pain. This would be the area around Palm Springs; especially heading north on 111 toward the 10 and the 10 itself from Banning to Indio. The bridge where 111 goes over the top of the 10 is unreal. The other place is where the 15 drops south from the Cajon Junction area to the 60 in Ontario. Either of those places and a rider is going to get an education in high velocity cross winds real quick.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
T
It probably didn't help that it was in the driving rain as well so conditions really were horrible. I should have taken the train but it didn't look that bad when I left the house.

Yikes! :eek: Fortunately I haven't been surprised by those kind of conditions and I avoid riding when it's threatening. It doesn't mean I won't get caught out on a tour at some point, so pointers in this thread will be helpful.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Either of those places and a rider is going to get an education in high velocity cross winds real quick.

Yes, an education they will get. Those are the areas where you see semi-trucks toppled over from the wind. I've said it before and will say it again, those Santa Ana winds around LA, or the winds that tunnels through the valley around Indio and Palm Springs are just brutal. High winds are very dangerous for motorcyclist so you better know how to ride in those conditions. If you don't, you will find yourself going down. In my personal riding opinion, the results of this poll has been wrongly reflected on what to do.

Last edited: