Will Someone Ride my Bike?

wx4p

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting saga and good lesson for the rest of us, thanks for sharing.

With the new frame, tires, and forks it very nearly *is* a different bike. :D

I'm contemplating the fork swap, is there a particular thread you used for reference?

jb1390

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting saga and good lesson for the rest of us, thanks for sharing.

With the new frame, tires, and forks it very nearly *is* a different bike. :D

I'm contemplating the fork swap, is there a particular thread you used for reference?

This one was helpful:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29543-r6-fork-install-another-one.html

And this one gives you part numbers from McMaster-Carr so you don't need custom axle spacers or custom brake shims

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/46409-anyone-have-r6-fork-swap-design-files.html

The only thing that actually needs machining (or custom parts) are the fender brackets. These brackets, while beautiful in many of these threads, are designed more complicated than they need to be to function. If you use a piece of flat aluminum, drill a couple holes and tap at the correct distance, you can mount your fender just fine.

I did mine on the endmill at work because I have one available, and though they aren't as pretty as the ones shown in these threads, they will work good enough. I haven't put them on yet because I will need to take the whole thing back apart to do the steering head bearings, but maybe I will post pics of what mine are. I don't think there is anything that is so crucial on those parts that you couldn't make them using a saw, grinder, drill and tap (and a 90 degree countersink if you want to use flat-head screws).

jb1390

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I think this thing is finally set. New frame, forks, tires, steering head bearings, tightening them a few times, and the bike tracks straight, and the vibration is solved.

At least I learned some things along the way-guess I can just say that's the price of tuition.......