will i need a front fork stand? and what kind?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
to change steering bearings and install the "All Balls"?

don't think i would need to lift the front end to install brake lines tho, but what about actually taking the entire brakes off the front? wouldn't think so as you don't need to lift the rear for rear brake-work, but ive not poked around the front too much and you never know.

i ask because i will need to add the stand to my online order so it all gets to me at the same time and i dont get charged double for shipping.

also, what kind of stand will lift the front end of an fz6? the back end i had to figure out we cant use the ones that use spools. any special kind of stand we need to lift the front?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
You cannot hold the bike up with the fork, when you replace the steering head bearings. You have to take the fork apart to get to the bearings.

If you have the center stand, the bike will balance on that with no trouble. The weight of the back wheel is more than enough to keep it on the center stand. 3 points on the ground is as stable as it gets.

I'm sure there are any number of ways to support the front more..... I don't see the need, until you have to drive out the old bearing races -- and it should not be necessary then, either.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
If your going to replace the steering bearings you can't use a stand under the front forks, you can use a jack under the pipes and also a strap to hold the rear end down if you have a place to attach it. I would suggest some 3/4 thick plywood with eyelets and use some bricks or something heavy to hold the wood down and run the strap over the rear of the seat from eyelet to eyelet, this should keep the front off the ground so you can do the bearings. Make sure the jack has a rubber pad or use some wood to protect the pipes. Just my $.02 worth:D

Jerry

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm I dont have a centre-stand. will need to figure something out then. Or have the dealership do it. Thing I hate about other people working on my bike when i cant watch them is i dont know how much care they put into it.

edit: after going thru BD's thread.....think i'll take it to the dealer....lol....

I just get so impatient I end up mucking things up.

Last edited:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
hmm I dont have a centre-stand. will need to figure something out then. Or have the dealership do it. Thing I hate about other people working on my bike when i cant watch them is i dont know how much care they put into it.

edit: after going thru BD's thread.....think i'll take it to the dealer....lol....

I just get so impatient I end up mucking things up.

Not a bad idea. Just be sure to check your kill switch when you go to pick your bike up as I'm sure it will be in the "off" position. :BLAA:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
you can probably get a jackstand under one side and a hydraulic jack under the other, possibly using the former centerstand mount points. Or add a rear-swingarm stand to the shopping list. There will be a lot less weight on the front end though if you can support it in the center. If you have two stepladders, a 4x4, and a couple of high-load ratchet straps you can lift the front up that way as well (like a bridge). I did a full front end overhaul on a friends BIG CBR1000F (the old-school Hurricane) using this method. :eek:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
It's easy to put the center stand back on. You don't have to really tighten it all the way; I used it to do my rear spring installation.

To help with my front fork adjustment (getting 10mm through the triple), I used a car jack. I put a folded towel between the jack and pipes -- I also had a rubber hockey puck between the jack and the towel (because the jack platform is round).

For your job, ideally, you should tie the bike down or something like that. When jacking, I was always fearful of the bike tipping :eek:.

Dennis

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1) Centrestand was taken off by guy who sold me the bike. He didn't give me all the bolts for it so i never bothered putting it back on.

2) Hmm...car jack, I can do that. Good tip if I ever need to work on the front end.

3) I bought a swingarm-support paddock stand for the rear end a week ago (finally don't have to clean and lube my chain rolling it down the driveway 2 feet at a time.

4) I think I will still let the dealer do the work on the bike for this installation. It seems too much bother and too many things can go wrong in an important area of the bike. Would hate to be coming around a corner and all of a sudden I'm holding the front forks which have come clean off the bike.