Why was this inside my rear tire rim?!?

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to figure out what this is from any help? noticed it as i was coasting and heard tinging so took a look and after some difficulty pulling it out i need to know if something might have broke inside or just maybe road debris....

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a piece of casting from the inside that did not get cleaned out when the wheel came off the line. Hope that is all it is anyway! :D

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
haha i hope that is all it is... I took off my rear tire for the first time and had a huge struggle with it so hopefully i put everything back together right? The part that makes me nervous is some of the guts from the bearing fell out when i was trying to get the metal out and i just slid everything back in but am thinking of taking it to a mechanic just to double check my work before my trip in two weeks

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha i hope that is all it is... I took off my rear tire for the first time and had a huge struggle with it so hopefully i put everything back together right? The part that makes me nervous is some of the guts from the bearing fell out when i was trying to get the metal out and i just slid everything back in but am thinking of taking it to a mechanic just to double check my work before my trip in two weeks

guts from the bearing fell out as in the balls? little confused. where exactly did you find this. to be honest sort of looks like part of a chewed up lawnmower blade......

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
no like a nut and a pipe looking thing that fits in between the bearing... ha but it was literally inside my rim but i think or at least hope its just part of the casing

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The bearings shouldn't have come apart when removing them. I'd check them closely and make sure they rotate smoothly and are ONE PIECE.

I agree, that piece was probably a piece of aluminum casting when they cast the wheel.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It almost looks like a piece of the rear brake pad. I doubt it is, but check anyway.

It might also be from the cush drive. If you remove the rear wheel, you can pull the cush drive off to inspect it.

Both of those inspections are worth it for piece of mind. But I think that the aluminum casting theory is probably correct.

Fred

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you say that Fred, it is about the size of a rear brake pad, seriously worn out and broken up if installed with force.

Looks like it eventually came loose from the steel backing plate of one brake pads.

For the poster, can you remove the rear caliber and check the pads? I suspect you have a steel brake pad with NO material on it.... I would not ride it until I know for sure or you'll be buying a new rotor too...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Trying to figure out what this is from any help? noticed it as i was coasting and heard tinging so took a look and after some difficulty pulling it out i need to know if something might have broke inside or just maybe road debris....

I'm trying to understand absolutely where you found this..... was this inside the tire, or on the exterior of the rim around the back wheel somewhere?

Your later comments concerning the trashed wheel bearings really makes me wonder.

The piece of material looks a lot like a backing for a brake pad. Castings always have some 'flash' associated with them..... I find it very unlikely that Yamaha, or their supplier would ever let a rim into the factory that would have a piece of junk that big still attached. The guy who installed the tires on the bike should have caught that, too.

This is not very likely to be the first tire installed on that rim, either seeing that your bike is a 2007. I'm betting on someone doing their own maintenance having mucked this up.:spank:

It sounds too much like there's a lot of related issues that all point to problems. I would suggest going over this bike with a fine toothed comb, and sorting out what ever other issues are lurking. It's highly probable that there are.

A shop manual is your best friend......:rtfm:

Last edited:

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
The piece of metal was inside the rim like it would fall into the spokes as i rotated it.. and the bearing itself never fell out but the spoke assembly fell off and i guess there is like a aluminum pipe looking thing inside there as well that fell out but i will check the rear brake but i just doubt that would make it in through one of the little holes on the rear brake rotor (thats what i had to reach through to get out the piece of metal)

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to understand absolutely where you found this..... was this inside the tire, or on the exterior of the rim around the back wheel somewhere?

Y

This had me confused but I think he means the hub

For the OP the hub is the centre of the wheel where the axle passes through, the rim is the outside edge of the wheel that the tyre (tire) fits on.

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya it wasnt inside the tire but the hollow part of the rim in the center sorry for not explaining more thoroughly for you guys but thanks for all the help hopefully it is just a piece of metal from the casting

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Ya it wasnt inside the tire but the hollow part of the rim in the center sorry for not explaining more thoroughly for you guys but thanks for all the help hopefully it is just a piece of metal from the casting

At this point, pictures are worth a 1000 words.

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok well i just took my bike for a spin and... Now there is a humming sound coming from the rear tire i dont think it has to do anything with that metal piece but more on probably my nonexistent mechanic skills:confused: What would cause the humming sound and how do i go about fixing it

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Download a manual available here on line(its free).

Then remove the rear brakes and rear wheel. You mentioned earlier about your "wheel bearing guts fell out". I suspect once apart, with the manual, you'll find the problem (wheel bearings/brakes).

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, bring it to someone who does...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Stop riding the bike, until you get this sorted out. This link is to the parts illustration of a 2005 FZ6's rear wheel. Compare this to what you see on your bike. If you have not already taken the back wheel off of the bike and inspected every bit of this setup, you are taking a significant risk of serious damage to the bike, and possibly yourself. It is possible to have the rear wheel seize up due to damage in this area.

2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Parts, 2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
ya im going to stop riding it once i heard that noise after going above 50 i called it quits ill have to take it in asap