Why to cover the front brake

slippery

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a close call yesterday and I thought I'd share the story and what I learned from it. Yesterday afternoon I took a leisurely ride through the countryside after mounting my freshly balanced front tire. During the hour that I was out I practiced 3 panic stops, which I make it a point to do at least a couple times a week. As I was about a mile from my house on the return leg, I noticed a beagle on the left side of the road. The dog shied away as I approached so I turned my attention back ahead, at which point the beagle's mate (which I hadn't seen) bolted from the right ditchline on a collision course with the bike. Cruising at about 55, I had time to grab enough brake to lose 5 or 10 mph, just enough to miss the b***h. The dog's tail actually brushed the front wheel! If I hadn't had the front brake covered, like always, I would have without a doubt ran/flipped/cartwheeled straight over the dog's midsection and most likely totaled the bike and possibly myself. Luckily this turned out to be a good learning experience; a reminder to practice panic stops regularly and always ride with the front brake covered!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I just started covering the front brake when riding. I use to do it just riding around city streets incase of something like this or a cager pulling out, but now I do it all the time. I've gotten comfortable with my first two fingers on the brake lever and my ring and pinky fingers controlling the throttle. Takes some getting use to but as you discovered it makes a difference. Thanks for the reminder!:cheer: