Why is my brand new FZ leaking oil

kc8rev

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I noticed oil residue coming from two bolts on the left side of the motor. (see pic.) The bike is less than 2 weeks old with 350 miles on it. The oil is deffently comming from the bolts in question. The bolts are the two silver bolts on the side of the motor in the picture.

Can somone tell me why it's doing this, and if it's somthing I should fix or have the dealer do it.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I don't see it either. Could you (or the shop) have gotten some oil on it inadvertantly?
Wipe it off real good and see if it comes back.

linky0283

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is leaking a little from the first bolt. I wipe it off after each ride. It seems to be less and less after each ride. I only have 200 miles on mine.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine leaked in about the same place for a day or two. I'd let it go for a short time and it should stop itself. If it doesn't then time to do something about it, but I wouldn't get too excited just yet.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Its probably oil that was applied in the machining and build process that's being driven out by heating and cooling cycles. My 2008 FZ6 did the same thing for the 300 miles or so. Wipe the area clean and watch for additional oil residue.

linky0283

Reaction score
Visit site
Its probably oil that was applied in the machining and build process that's being driven out by heating and cooling cycles. My 2008 FZ6 did the same thing for the 300 miles or so. Wipe the area clean and watch for additional oil residue.

I hope your right. I'm starting to think that I got a bad one.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I think so too.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
have the dealer check it out, it is under warranty, so should be free... but i would take your time getting to that point, i definitely does not look serious...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Yamaha service manual. Page 5-18. Cylinder Head Installation.

"Lubricate the cylinder head bolts with engine oil."

There you go. It's assembly lube, and it'll go away on its own.

kc8rev

Reaction score
Visit site
After the post I did some more research and found that same page in the manual that says lube the head bolts with oil, so the logical conclusion is it's just assembly oil coming out with heat cycles. It just makes me feel MUCH better that other pepole have experienced the same thing on new FZ's. Any time there is oil coming out of head bolts it makes me very concerned.

Thanks for the fast replys

hoston1765

Reaction score
Visit site
My 09 FZ6 (purchased new 4 weeks ago ) was also showing oil at the same two bolts. The dealer took it into the shop and checked the torque setting, cleaned it up and said it was assembly oil, everything was fine. Since then I have put 500 miles on the bike and the bolts show a very slight oil stain around them. Am keeping an eye on them, the bike is under warranty for another 11 months.